Author Topic: OpenOffice.org 2.0 Is Awesome  (Read 2585 times)

anphanax

• Kudos: 11
    • http://june.tripod.com
OpenOffice.org 2.0 Is Awesome
« on: 23 November 2005, 18:57 »
I highly recommend anyone here who hasn't tried OpenOffice.org 2.0, to download it and give it a try. I wasn't that impressed with OO 1.x, but 2.0 is looking very good.

Pros:
* People using MS Office can feel at home about certian things (toolbars are more MS Office 2k3-ish than the OO.Org 1.x ones).
* Macro support looks good. Objects can be assigned names, and easily converted to other types of objects.
* You can insert JAVA APPLETS in your document, as well as OLE junk.
* The new "Base" program is great. I was able to hook it up to a MySQL database quite easily, and it also supports it's own local DB format. Very impressive to me.
* The thing's help system is coming along very nicely.
* It can export to PDF (which I'm pretty sure 1.x could do too).
* It's not a blantant rip-off of MS Office. It's dialogs are not the same as those in Office, although they're still easy to use. You can figure out how to change line spacing using the Paragraph Styles dialog quite easily, by going to the Idents and Spacing tab. If you still disagree, go to View and Toolbars.
* If you've ever used the Format Painter in MS Office, it works the exact same way for OO.Org, no suprises :).
* Writer has a FORMULA BAR!
* Find/Replace supports Regular Expressions.
* Almost every program allows you to turn on a Grid (useful in Impress and Draw, in particular).
* Every "custom animation" and "slide transation" you might expect from Office 2k3 seems to be supported in Impress.
* Table creation drop-down button is more useful in OO.org than in MS Office (it grows to support more than just 4 x 5 tables).
* It's FREE :).
* Mail Merge in Writer IS supported via the Tools menu.
* It appears to be licensed under the LGPL, not the GPL (I prefer the LGPL since it's less strict).
* I actually recognize the font names in 2.0.
* Export support provided by the Applications is good.
* I prefer Save/Discard over Yes/No/Cancel (MS Office), when closing the program with work I haven't saved.
* The color bar in Impress/Draw makes re-coloring shape elements a snap.
* I can insert animated images, and edit the animations.

Cons:
* Can't figure out a way to view the motion paths assigned in Impress (the PowerPoint equivalent).
* Heard complaints regarding Access support in "Base".
* Where is the clipart? I am aware certian people HATE clipart, but there is a segment of people out there who really like it. Sure, someone could buy one of those CDs packed with WMF/EMF/JPEG/GIF (if you really hate GIF, just convert it to PNG)/BMP files. I don't think the average user likes that though. They want things to just work :P.
* Seems to be missing the pen you can draw tables with that exists in MS Office (maybe a patent issue there?).

I wonder if the fact that the OO.org team "caught up" with MS is why they decided to change the interface Office uses...

EDIT: I see other people share a similar opinion that I do.
When 1.1.3 came out, I gave it a try and almost immediately went back to using Office XP. Since using 2.0, I have no plans of going back to MS Office again. If you're looking a free alternative to MS Office, OO.org 2.0 is definetly the way to go.

its only 90mg and its worth it.

I just updated to 2.0, and let me say:
It's freaking awesome.
« Last Edit: 23 November 2005, 19:02 by anphanax »

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Re: OpenOffice.org 2.0 Is Awesome
« Reply #1 on: 23 November 2005, 19:12 »
Still waiting for the Dutch version :(

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2005, 04:03 »
And I'm waiting for the native Mac version, even if that's NeoOffice/J.  Until then, I shall stay with AbiWord and MS Office 2004.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

sporkme

• Kudos: 149
    • http://sporkme.net/
« Reply #3 on: 24 November 2005, 05:27 »
i agree, ooo2 far surpasses ms office.  most of my customers who try it out ditch office or just dont buy it.  we install it for free, along w/ mozilla.

is there an exchange client alternative?  i admit that i have not really looked for one
just that you do not take an interest in politics does not mean that politics will not take an interest in you.  -pericles 430 b.c.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #4 on: 24 November 2005, 20:32 »
I think OpenOffice was superior to M$ office ever since version 1.0.0, at least I haven't needed to use any M$ Office product since then. But, yeah Ooo 2.0 is way beyond anything M$ will ever produce.

P.S. If you have problems with Ooo 2.0 on Fedora ... that's probably cuz the Fedora version is fucked ... download the real Ooo 2.0 at their site and the problems will go away ... this happened to me

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #5 on: 25 November 2005, 11:24 »
Oo is the only office product that competes with MS Office.

Anyone who uses oo would download Ms office if they could get if for free.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #6 on: 25 November 2005, 11:46 »
I use OpenOffice and but I agree with Pathos, MS Office is superiour and for me (and many other people) it's about value for money more than anything else. Personally I'd rather use an inferiour product if it does what I want - it's about quality vs cost and OpenOffice winns on this as far as I'm concerned.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #7 on: 25 November 2005, 21:48 »
Quote from: Pathos

Bullshit !!! I would never fucking download that shit !!! I have an M$ office CD right here in my closet it came with my computer ... but I never used it (except once) ... why ? Because it's complete shit ! Word and Excel crash every 5 min. no matter what I tried to do to fix them, they don't do what you ask of them, even very simple requests, they 'run out of system memory' cuz they are such a bunch of fucking resource hogs !!! There is absolutely no reason for me to choose M$ Office over Ooo. If Bill Gates (or anyone) came to my house and offered me a completely free version of M$ Office I would tell them to shove it up their ass !!! :mad:

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #8 on: 26 November 2005, 00:57 »

HAHA I meant to say wouldn't ...

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
« Reply #9 on: 26 November 2005, 18:59 »
Open Office 2.0 is awesome. Open Office > MS Word

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #10 on: 26 November 2005, 19:28 »
HAHA I meant to say wouldn't ...

Ohhhh ... oops, uhhh ... then you'd be right :thumbup:

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #11 on: 27 November 2005, 03:21 »

is there an exchange client alternative? i admit that i have not really looked for one

Ximian Evolution

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #12 on: 28 November 2005, 19:04 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
I use OpenOffice and but I agree with Pathos, MS Office is superiour and for me (and many other people) it's about value for money more than anything else. Personally I'd rather use an inferiour product if it does what I want - it's about quality vs cost and OpenOffice winns on this as far as I'm concerned.

Just for the record I was playing devil's incarnate when I said this, my true oppinion is that MS Office is equal to OpenOffice 2.0 in quality but it's much better because it's free.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #13 on: 29 November 2005, 01:17 »
you were playing Devil's Advocate.

devil incarnate is something totally different.  I'm pretty sure nobody has ever played devil incarnate on Microsuck (although some smartass will probably crack wise about this any second now).

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
« Reply #14 on: 29 November 2005, 02:13 »
and here is an article about why you shouldn't use OpenOffice: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=120