Author Topic: Linux vs Windows a real life comparison  (Read 11638 times)

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
Re: Linux vs Windows a real life comparison
« Reply #15 on: 7 December 2005, 01:33 »
Quote from: toadlife
Right now you riding the wave of obscurity, and judging by your "blame the software" attitude, if linux had 95% marketshare on the desktop, your linux box would have just as many security issues as your Widnows box did.

I doubt it considering the fact that Linux is incomparable to Winblow$ in security ... and the fact that Winblow$ has serious design flaws.

So you're saying that instead of learning the root causes of security issue in Windows, and addressing them, you jumped ahead to the easy "solution" of installing applications that only take action after you've been exploited.

Uhhhh ... so you're saying it's my job to patch up Winblow$'s many holes ? Sorry ... I got better shit to do.

My best is that you installed so many redundant security applications, that they stepped all over eachother and caused the majority of the stability problems you spoke of.

I don't see how "redundant" they were since each spy-remover I installed (they were all legitimate anti-spyware programs ... I checked) seemed to detect malware that the others somehow missed.

By trying to 'make it more secure' I mean a feutile attempt to do Bill Gates's work for him and patch up Winblow$ myself in whatever way I found ... I searched the net long and hard for solutions ... they ended up being half-assed solutions ... the most I can expect for Winblow$

toadlife

• Kudos: 376
    • http://toadlife.net
« Reply #16 on: 7 December 2005, 02:06 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
I doubt it considering the fact that Linux is incomparable to Winblow$ in security ... and the fact that Winblow$ has serious design flaws.
Do you even understand anyththing written on that page? Do also know that almost all of that shit on that page is either hyperbole or just plan wrong?
Uhhhh ... so you're saying it's my job to patch up Winblow$'s many holes ? Sorry ... I got better shit to do.
No, it your job to have a rudimetary understanding of security. It obvious that you don't, so perhaps an obscure desktoip OS like linux is a good thing for you.
I don't see how "redundant" they were since each spy-remover I installed (they were all legitimate anti-spyware programs ... I checked) seemed to detect malware that the others somehow missed.
Again you completely miss the point. WHy were you getting spyware in the first place? Did you even attempt to figure it out? There are very easy measures you cant ake to protect yourself from spyware that don;t involve installing hundreds of anti-spyware apps.

By trying to 'make it more secure' I mean a feutile attempt to do Bill Gates's work for him and patch up Winblow$ myself in whatever way I found ...

There is no patching up to do. There are a few very simple steps you can take to make Windows very safe.

I searched the net long and hard for solutions ... they ended up being half-assed solutions

Like what? What solutions did you try? Installing 20 anti-spyware apps? That's not a solution, thats a reaction. Did you create a limited user account for yourself? Did you turn of file and printer sharing? Did you use firefox instead of IE? Did you refrain from blindly executing random email attachments? What exactly did you do? Linux doesn't do anything to protect you that windows can't easily do.
:)

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #17 on: 7 December 2005, 03:13 »
No, it your job to have a rudimetary understanding of security. It obvious that you don't, so perhaps an obscure desktoip OS like linux is a good thing for you.

Again you completely miss the point. WHy were you getting spyware in the first place? Did you even attempt to figure it out? There are very easy measures you cant ake to protect yourself from spyware that don;t involve installing hundreds of anti-spyware apps.

There is no patching up to do. There are a few very simple steps you can take to make Windows very safe.

Like what? What solutions did you try? Installing 20 anti-spyware apps? That's not a solution, thats a reaction. Did you create a limited user account for yourself? Did you turn of file and printer sharing? Did you use firefox instead of IE? Did you refrain from blindly executing random email attachments? What exactly did you do? Linux doesn't do anything to protect you that windows can't easily do.

Please elaborate on the possible steps to make Window$ more secure ... ok to answer your questions in order ... Yes I did install about 20 anti-spy aps ... I used the admin account, I turned off all file sharing and printer sharing, and remote desktop, and instant messenger and all that shit. Of course I used Firefox ... I never executed a sigle attachment ... ever ... in fact executables of any kind were disabled on my mail server. As I said I installed at least 20 anti-spymare programs, , both a hardware (router) and a software (McAfee) firewall ... as well as McAfee anti-virus, I disabled any sharing and remote anything (desktop, registry, etc.), disabled Window$ messenger, and did a whole bunch of other stuff like applied a null IPC fix (just in case it wasn't fixed), and disabled Admin shares, DCOM, lots of services and many more things (I can't remember them all ... nor do I care to). I looked up every potential exploit and fixed it ... or at least attempted to.

I agree with you that Linux was a very good thing for me :D

So again ... please elaborate and list all steps (or most) that may possibly make a Window$ machine even marginally more secure ... I don't believe it's possible, but I wanna hear what you have to say ...

(Just in case you were wondering ... there was a chance -- a very good chance -- that my computer was infected by the $ony DRM rootkit ... if so then I'm sure there still "are a few very simple steps 'I' can take to make Windows very safe.")

dmcfarland

• Kudos: 123
« Reply #18 on: 7 December 2005, 04:55 »
I only know Windows crashes no matter how fast, how big the hard drive, no matter how much RAM you have, cpu speed, or video acceleration. Windows crashes no matter what, on a regular basis, and it has more holes in it than oday and cusay hussien.
Whip me, Beat me, Humiliate me, Mistreat me, and Windows XP me.:fu:

toadlife

« Reply #19 on: 7 December 2005, 07:39 »
Quote from: dmcfarland
I only know Windows crashes no matter how fast, how big the hard drive, no matter how much RAM you have, cpu speed, or video acceleration. Windows crashes no matter what, on a regular basis, and it has more holes in it than oday and cusay hussien.

Sorry to hear that. It doesn't for me.

toadlife

« Reply #20 on: 7 December 2005, 08:09 »
please elaborate and list all steps (or most) that may possibly make a Window$ machine even marginally more secure ... I don't believe it's possible, but I wanna hear what you have to say ...

I'd be happy to, but I have to give my son a bath and put him to bed. Tommorow. :)

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
« Reply #21 on: 7 December 2005, 10:19 »
Sorry to hear that. It doesn't for me.

Same for me, I've never had a crash, the only BSOD I have had was a driver issue, a simple re-install of the driver stopped that. :)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #22 on: 7 December 2005, 14:02 »
Exactly, if you know what you're doing Windows can be quite satable - this is even more the case if you don't run anti-virus.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #23 on: 7 December 2005, 14:18 »
Quote from: dmcfarland
Samba is faster than Windows Server 2003.:p

I dont see how you can say that with any credibility when you just admitted you had no idea what Microsoft Windows 2003 was, and assumed that it was Microsoft Windows XP.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #24 on: 7 December 2005, 18:26 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Exactly, if you know what you're doing Windows can be quite satable
Also, refrain from right-clicking on any folders.

I used Windows for no more than half an hour one night and it fucking crashed when I right-clicked on a folder.
WHAT. THE. FUCK?

You'd almost think someone set that up, just to piss me off. But no, it's just Windows.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: 7 December 2005, 18:42 »
That's what can happen on a malware infested installation, normally you just get this when you right click on a folder, it sounds like you have shitware installed or even a bad driver, this never ever happens on a healthy Windows set up.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #26 on: 7 December 2005, 18:57 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
Also, refrain from right-clicking on any folders.

I used Windows for no more than half an hour one night and it fucking crashed when I right-clicked on a folder.
WHAT. THE. FUCK?

You'd almost think someone set that up, just to piss me off. But no, it's just Windows.

Hehe, coincidentally the same thing happened to me only worse :D ... just before I switched to Linux, explorer crashed every time I right-clicked :confused: ... which sucked ass. I also could not delete, copy, paste, or move any file wihout explorer crashing :( ... and I somehow managed to backup all my important data to a CD without right-clicking or using any of the mentioned functions. Luckily, the CD burning software was somehow still able to access and burn the needed files correctly. At that moment I promised myself I would never use Winblow$ again ... I plan on keeping that promise.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #27 on: 7 December 2005, 19:38 »
That's what can happen on a malware infested installation, normally you just get this when you right click on a folder, it sounds like you have shitware installed or even a bad driver, this never ever happens on a healthy Windows set up.
How would malware or a bad driver make the system crash on a right click? Maybe if it's the mouse driver, but I think (didn't check, and don't intend on checking) it's a Microsoft-provided driver (isn't it usually unless he installed the logitech software (IIRC it's a logitech mouse) (which I doubt he did)?). My brother's on the computer now and I'd guess he can right-click alright, it's only this one time it just had to fucking crash.

I guess I should've said this already but, I'm not entirely sure whether the whole OS went down or just Explorer or if it woulda come back or WTF. I just left. It's been a long time since I've had to put up with shit like that.

My brothers system does have a bit of malware alright. But when I ran Windows XP on my own computer it didn't, and I don't forget what it was like.

In fact, my best experiences with Windows stem from Windows 98. It ran dreamy on the system I had at the time (about two years ago), but Mandrake ran better.

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: 7 December 2005, 20:18 »
Your personal experiance vs mine, why are we bothing to argue about this?

My Redhat 9 system would often kernel panic on boot up but other times it wouldn't, yes I know Linux is better now (both Vector Linux and Ubuntu haven't given me this problem). I know I didn't know what I was doing and obviosly neither do you when it comes to Windows.

It could be a driver problem but I doubt it, it's far more likely to be a malware problem and it's highly unlikely you'll be able to fix it without a re-install. If you'd pay for my journey to where ever you live I bet you I could get the fucking thing working. Otherwise (to save me the bother) backup your files, do a clean install following the instructions I gave here and you shouldn't have this problem ever again I certaintly don't, those days are long gone.

When I first started using XP we contracted the netsky worm via an email virus sent to my dad who was using Outlook, this caused random reboot and all kinds of shit. I installed AVG anti-virus and the system was still slow and unstable, after I've done a fresh install and set things up properly Windows just runs and runs and runs - there's no stopping it! I mean how do you think I can stay logged on to the Internet and type such long rants if the Windows BSODs every 5 miniutes? :D

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #29 on: 7 December 2005, 20:39 »
Your personal experiance vs mine, why are we bothing to argue about this?
Windows crashed on me when I right-clicked a fucking folder, that's why.

My Redhat 9 system would often kernel panic on boot up but other times it wouldn't, yes I know Linux is better now (both Vector Linux and Ubuntu haven't given me this problem).
Any time I've had a kernel panic it was 'cause I didn't have a CLUE WTF I was doing in 'make menuconfig' when compiling linux, or it was on my iPod (I remember getting a kernel panic on my iPod (with ipod-linux), and I can't remember what the cause of it was. I Think it was something to do with init.).

Kernel panics on Redhat 9.. Interesting. Any idea what they were about (they have error messages to point in the right direction (and they worked for me))?

neither do you when it comes to Windows.
Actually, I do. And I was dissappointed, because I learned nothing, when I read this.

I suck at Windows because it crashed when I right-clicked?

It could be a driver problem but I doubt it, it's far more likely to be a malware problem
How would malware be the problem? Maybe explorer.exe or something is infected. Know what the best way to check would be (check file sizes/MD5 sums)? It could be something that explorer.exe uses either, I dunno.

If you'd pay for my journey to where ever you live I bet you I could get the fucking thing working.
It does work, I'd guess.

Otherwise (to save me the bother) backup your files, do a clean install following the instructions I gave here and you shouldn't have this problem ever again I certaintly don't, those days are long gone.
I learned nothing new in that post. Whenever I had Windows XP on this system I did pretty much all the same stuff.

When I first started using XP we contracted the netsky worm via an email virus sent to my dad who was using Outlook, this caused random reboot and all kinds of shit. I installed AVG anti-virus and the system was still slow and unstable, after I've done a fresh install and set things up properly Windows just runs and runs and runs - there's no stopping it! I mean how do you think I can stay logged on to the Internet and type such long rants if the Windows BSODs every 5 miniutes? :D
6 minutes, actually.