Author Topic: A Win95 question  (Read 986 times)

saddlemagic

• Kudos: 0
A Win95 question
« on: 15 July 2002, 07:38 »
This is my first post here, let's see if I get it right.

I am having a random lock-up problem with my ol'puter. In trying to find the cause I've come all the way back around to Windows, imagine that.

I'm running Win95b with Internet Explorer and Outlook deleted. What would happen if I delete the history file in the Windows folder? Would it effect the Windows?

My basic thought here is: I paid good money for this computer with Win95 on it back in January '98 and I'm going to get every penny's worth of use out of it that I can.
Bitter? I'm not bitter. After seeing what Bill Gates and MicroSoft has inflicted upon us. I wish Bill would choke on a cheese sandwich and put us out of his misery.

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
A Win95 question
« Reply #1 on: 15 July 2002, 08:09 »
Depending on how long you were using IE before ditching it, you can free up a helluva lot of HD by following the instructions in the Microsoft's Hidden Files article. You not only reclaim a lot of disk space, but Win 95 will run noticeably faster without all that crap getting in the way.

Of course, you could really spiff up that ol' rig by installing Linux on it. I put Mandrake on a Dell OptiPlex GSa (232MHz, P II, 32MB RAM, 2.0GB HD) and ditched Winders. It ran like a champ until last January when the HD finally started showing signs of giving out. I replaced it with a new system with enough HD for several disros.

Live Free or Die: Linux

"There: now you'll never have to look at those dirty Windows anymore"  --  Daffy Duck   :D

[ July 14, 2002: Message edited by: jtpenrod ]

If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

TB

A Win95 question
« Reply #2 on: 15 July 2002, 08:10 »
Although you probably dont need to be told this, and it really doesnt do a lot to help your situation, but it's a known fact that "Microsoft Software" and "value for money" NEVER equate to each other, even if aforementioned software is pirated.

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
A Win95 question
« Reply #3 on: 15 July 2002, 10:57 »
*sigh* you could have legally gotten a total moneyback refund if when you had bought the 'puter you turned on windows, read the EULA which states that the product may be taken off and a refund will be provided from the place of purchase (or something along those line), then taken off windows.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
A Win95 question
« Reply #4 on: 15 July 2002, 23:54 »
you have two options:

first, stay determined to get your money's "worth" and keep using windows. Good luck. In answer to your question, yes deleting enything will make windows more unstable, using it will make it more unstable, installing/uninstalling anything will make it more unstable, switching it on will make it more unstable.

Secondly, you could get linux. It's free, and so you will still get as much value for money, except you will save a lot of time and effort by using a real operating system.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

saddlemagic

A Win95 question
« Reply #5 on: 15 July 2002, 23:56 »
I don't know, that was 4-1/2 years ago. I would love to upgrade this Ol'puter to a non MS operating system but, for the moment it's all I have and I have no money to invest in it.

I just have that one symple question at the moment.

If I delete the \windows\history folder, will it screw my system?
Bitter? I'm not bitter. After seeing what Bill Gates and MicroSoft has inflicted upon us. I wish Bill would choke on a cheese sandwich and put us out of his misery.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
A Win95 question
« Reply #6 on: 16 July 2002, 00:18 »
in a word, no. however as with any closed source software, it's never a 100% certainty!  :D
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
A Win95 question
« Reply #7 on: 16 July 2002, 07:41 »
quote:
*sigh* you could have legally gotten a total moneyback refund if when you had bought the 'puter you turned on windows, read the EULA which states that the product may be taken off and a refund will be provided from the place of purchase (or something along those line), then taken off windows.
Sorry, but it doesn't quite work that way. If you buy a new 'puter with Winders as an OEM install, just starting the damn thing up constitutes acceptance of the EULA, even if the only reason to start Winders is to ditch it. Sure, you'd get a refund if Macro$uck were an honorable corporation. (Then, again, if they were, you probably wouldn't need a refund since an honorable corporation wouldn't've threatened to screw over the OEMs to prevent them from installing whatever soft you wanted in the first place.) So don't count on getting any refunds from that outfit.    

"There: now you'll never have to look at those dirty Windows anymore"  --  Daffy Duck  :D
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

choasmaster

A Win95 question
« Reply #8 on: 16 July 2002, 08:03 »
not at microsoft itself but the oem. some guy went through like 3 months to get a refund for win98
id rather be on fire then use windoze

x86, a hack on a hack of a hack
alpha, the compaqed way
ppc, the fruity way
mips, the graphical way
m68k, the NeXT way
sparc, the reliable way