Author Topic: The Vandalisation of Windows  (Read 7061 times)

cymon

• Kudos: 172
Re: The Vandalisation of Windows
« Reply #75 on: 5 February 2006, 22:26 »
My god, someone get this one a chill pill.

Mabye he doesn't want to deal with RPM hell. Most binaries are RPM's, but what if he uses Debian? So now he has two choices, bitch for a deb, or compile from source. Source compilation takes time, and isn't available for a closed product like Opera.

But wait, the Distro provider has a repo, right? Let's say Joe Debianuser wants to run OpenOffice.org. Now, it has a RPM installer, screwing him over, and the Debian repo has 1.1 as the latest version. Now he has to waste his time compiling it.

OSX doesn't have package issues. Neither does Windows, FreeBSD, or any other OS around. Why should Linux get screwed.

And if you ever want people to switch to Linux, being a little shit-face eliteist doesn't help them.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #76 on: 5 February 2006, 23:26 »
Anyway I'd like to discuss the Linux package isssue in a separate thread, could a mod please move the posts that deal with it to the Linux section under a name like Linux Package problems?

Meanwhile back on topic, Microsoft know that restricted accounts can increase security but they don't educate the average joe about this when they install Windows. You have to search their website for this info and I only found it by shear luck when I was browsing Google:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/luawinxp.mspx
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

SkyNet

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #77 on: 6 February 2006, 01:58 »
:tux:  says :  A shit faced elitist. Uh Huh.. Anyway. ubuntu is debian based, so yep you are too correct there. Admittedly it took about two days of google-work to find correct way to install opera. Apologies if I came off as whatever dude labeled me as. Apologies not to dude, but to my fellow linux user. So far, apt-get works great, provided you always precede the install with sudo apt-get check (for busted dependencies) then sudo apt-get update (for out of date packages) not sure on wether that order means anything, but has (so-far) solved my dependency nightmares) then the old sudo apt-get install 'your cool package desired here'.  

Also, sudo apt-get clean keeps disk space freed up when you're done by removing all that extra source you didn't need.

Agreed as to your suggestion on this thread needing to get moved to the linux portion of the forums.

:tux:    I suppose I must have tagged my previous post with 'Flame On ' or something. Heh

:tux:  :tux:  :tux:

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #78 on: 6 February 2006, 03:13 »
hmmm ... so I guess yum is a bit better than apt-get, cuz I never had that many dependency problems (like 2 total) ... still it would probably be cooler if all dependencies were included with every install (having something install properly is more important than keeping packages small)

SkyNet

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #79 on: 6 February 2006, 03:32 »
:tux:  says:  I would have to agree with you as far as Yum being better than apt-get, as far as its usage to Ubuntu's flavors. As for installer probs with Opera, that's more about Opera not truly being ported for Ubuntu dist, which is on ubuntu, not Opera. Almost everything else I have had no install issues. But yes, ease of installation is or should be more important, unless you are an elitist (  :fu:  ) and just have to desire building all of your apps from source. Heh      :tux:

:tux:  :tux:  :tux:

cymon

• Kudos: 172
« Reply #80 on: 6 February 2006, 04:45 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
hmmm ... so I guess yum is a bit better than apt-get, cuz I never had that many dependency problems (like 2 total) ... still it would probably be cooler if all dependencies were included with every install (having something install properly is more important than keeping packages small)

With APT, you NEVER have dependancy issues. Dependencies are calculated and installed. That's the wonder of Debian.

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #81 on: 6 February 2006, 07:40 »
Hmmm ... well, uhhh ... SkyNet said he had some dependency problems with apt ... so ... I'm not sure that any package manager is perfect, not even apt

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #82 on: 6 February 2006, 07:45 »
Quote from: cymon
With APT, you NEVER have dependancy issues. Dependencies are calculated and installed. That's the wonder of Debian.

Wow, um... that's a little like saying that Portage automatically gets the latest and greatest of everything, resolves package dependencies, and builds all on its own.  You're still going to need package.keywords, and THAT doesn't guarantee you'll be on the bleeding-edge as it were.  Let's call apples apples: when you go for the latest and greatest, regardless of packaging standards, you're going to run into missing dependencies every now and again.  Nobody can plan all possible scenarios for all distros (what we have being wholly remarkable, considering Microsoft can barely keep up with JUST PATCHES for ONE system).

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #83 on: 6 February 2006, 19:55 »
Quote from: piratePenguin

Windows cannot do this on 256MB RAM. And to think that my system is still running responsive as ever with all that stuff open.. I mean, here, I just drew a gradient in GIMP (you'll notice the time in the clock is the same), not a hitch. A look at the System Monitor. Is that two/three/FOUR FUCKING times more memory being used than physical RAM available? How the FUCK is it still so fucking responsive. I didn't close anything between then and now, and I'd hardley know KDevelop, the GIMP, Inkscape, KWord, amaroK, the System Monitor, and Gnome Terminal are running but for the cluttered taskbar (image.
And what's 1,000 times cooler, is that I could do all that crap on a 32MB RAM machine with wireless connectivity and no disk-drive*.

You're staring at the reason I'm starting to get interested in embedded hardware. Oh the possibilities...

* Xorg, LTSP, I love you.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #84 on: 6 February 2006, 22:09 »
No matter what packaging system you use, you can still run into problems of incompatible versioning.  This program needs version4, that program needs version5, and you can't have both.  I admit that it looks frustrating to someone who is just on this Linux ride to try it out, but for the diehards, it's like a challenge, and there are some creative-ass solutions to these kinds of issues out there.

I complain every once in awhile about 9 hour Google bughunts and rpm searches, but in reality, I love that stuff - it makes me happy.  It's why computers are so fun and engaging - they can take every synapse in your brain and put it to work on solving what sounds like the most trivial of problems.  You forget to smoke, eat, drink, sleep, screw, etc, because you are so into it.  Like crack, but only costs like $1000 per year.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #85 on: 6 February 2006, 23:51 »
Oh well Piratepenguin we tried to get this thread back on topic, we failed. :rolleyes:

I know here's an idea, let's just have a couple of packaging formats and as many package managers as you like that can work with them both and they're backwards compatable?

Then we wouldn't have to worry about all this version 5 or 4 bullshit or whether it's a rpm, deb or tgz.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #86 on: 7 February 2006, 00:10 »
Quote from: worker201
You forget to smoke, eat, drink, sleep, screw, etc, because you are so into it.  Like crack, but only costs like $1000 per year.

There isn't enough room in my sig for all the awesome stuff you say. :D

For the record, I frequently forget to eat because of the computer. \o
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #87 on: 7 February 2006, 03:26 »
Quote from: WMD
For the record, I frequently forget to eat because of the computer. \o

I frequently forget to eat cuz of video games (good ones only of course), maybe I should set an alarm to go off at mealtimes.