Author Topic: 360 in trouble  (Read 4120 times)

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
360 in trouble
« on: 5 December 2005, 22:48 »
We've all heard stories about how much the Xbox360 sucks.  But some guy in Chicago is really upset about it.  So upset that he is suing Microsoft!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051205/tc_nm/media_xbox_dc

Doubt this will fly - I have no clue how this guy thinks he's going to prove that the 360 was actually designed to overheat.  A couple designers from Microsoft can convince any judge in the world that they meant no harm.

But I hope Microsoft gets a little bit nervous anyway.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
Re: 360 in trouble
« Reply #1 on: 5 December 2005, 22:57 »
I hope he finds a way ... sadly I doubt he will stand too much of a chance. But, hey, with a good lawyer you can "prove" anything ... yeah M$ lawyers are probably a lot better than the ones this guy is capable of hiring :(

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
« Reply #2 on: 5 December 2005, 23:07 »
the 360 has a lot of issues. Many people are having problems with the overheating power supply, but a small fix people found on forums are lifting it on a string so more air can circulate around it (the power supply is like those boxes that are attached to printers and some LCD's)

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #3 on: 6 December 2005, 01:35 »
but people shouldnt have to find fixes. MS could have at least put more vent holes or put a small fan in it. or better yet built the PSU into the system
sig.

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
« Reply #4 on: 6 December 2005, 02:15 »
Quote from: Lead Head
but people shouldnt have to find fixes. MS could have at least put more vent holes or put a small fan in it. or better yet built the PSU into the system

Yes, I completely agree.

But what do we expect from a company that can't possibly make anything without fucking it up. :p

I think Microsoft are effectively destroying what we know as to be consoles, thank FUCK we still have Sony around.

Playstation rules. :thumbup:

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #5 on: 6 December 2005, 03:39 »
Yeah, I know how excited you must be to have a DRM rootkit on every game you play.  I wouldn't touch a Sony branded product with a 10 foot pole after that bullshit.

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
« Reply #6 on: 6 December 2005, 04:38 »

2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #7 on: 6 December 2005, 10:55 »
14 year old kids aren't going to read those warnings, so they should've made the power supply better and installed some grippers in the DVD player.

Still, the guy suing Microsoft isn't going to be able to have a case, because the failures he described where being warned for.

MarathoN

« Reply #8 on: 6 December 2005, 10:59 »
Still, I think it's pretty pathetic that they didn't solve the heat issues considering this ALSO happened with the original Xbox.

Fixing a power supply with string? That's pretty lame for a console. :rolleyes:

Jack2000

« Reply #9 on: 6 December 2005, 17:11 »
Fixing a power supply with string? That's pretty lame for a console.
well consoles are lame by nature

average joe:PLUG'n'PLAY teh new fifa kick'em up thing-of-a-jig:nothappy:

MarathoN

« Reply #10 on: 6 December 2005, 20:51 »
Quote from: Jack2000

LOL, agreed.

OMG REVOLUTION POST WAFFLE1BANPIEONEONEONEELEVEN! :rolleyes::scared:

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #11 on: 7 December 2005, 18:00 »
Quote from: Jack2000

Considering the options for playing games:

1) Keep Winblow$ for playing games, this also means buying new vid card :(

2) Buy a PS3 ... even if it includes DMR :(

3) Try to make Wine work ... it won't :(

4) Buy an XBox 360 and have it crash quite often :(

5) Give up and shoot yourself in the head, cuz everything on this planet sux ass :(

So ... which is the better choice ... the lesser of the evils ? I say #2

Of course, I will also play opensource games for Linux, but there are only so many, and I'll get bored of them some day.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #12 on: 7 December 2005, 18:16 »
The problem with the power supply is quite common for cheap consumer electronics, to cut cost costs they are designed work the componants close to their absolute maximum ratings and often beyond, sometimes they use typical ratings stated on the datasheets and not the worst case. This results in unreliable products and switching power supplies are one of the most common parts to blow in this manner, my lap top's power supply melted down, as did my electric razor's and a friend's mobile phone charger.

My guess is that the PSU wasn't MS' design, it's probably a 3rd party's, still when are the incompetent electronic engineers working for these companies going to learn how to use datasheets?

By the way the final blame still rests on MS for not testing it properly.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #13 on: 7 December 2005, 19:26 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
My guess is that the PSU wasn't MS' design, it's probably a 3rd party's, still when are the incompetent electronic engineers working for these companies going to learn how to use datasheets?

Don't be ridiculous, it's not the electronic engineer's fault. It is the project management team and the penny pinchers who come in and force them to make their circuits cheaper (and crapper).
Contains scenes of mild peril.

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
« Reply #14 on: 7 December 2005, 19:43 »
Quote from: KernelPanic
Don't be ridiculous, it's not the electronic engineer's fault. It is the project management team and the penny pinchers who come in and force them to make their circuits cheaper (and crapper).

it's probebly the design teams fault...a psu that powers a powerful machine (yes he xbox360 pwns 95% of computers in gaming) in a tiny little box, maybe they need to put on some heatsinks / airflow ducts, or stick it inside the xbox with some active cooling.

xbox 360 looks like crap by the way... better than the first one atleast. :fu: