Author Topic: Microsoft only cares for businesses?  (Read 2551 times)

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
Microsoft only cares for businesses?
« on: 9 December 2005, 10:44 »
I recently got a job a tech company as a "Assistant Technician" and I've my perspective on microsoft has changed.

Its very possible that they don't really give that much shit for everyday joe blog customers only big business. People are always going to be able to steal software and microsofts profits, but big Business can't and won't cause they need the guaranteed support (which is good if you've got the money) and will be killed by legal battles. A large company could very likely make microsoft more money than a small town. And the annual income is almost guaranteed. My machine has XP Pro + Office + SQL Server + MS Visual Studio 6 + MS Visual Studio .Net + MSDN installed. Thats easily a grand on a single machine.

My employer is an microsoft business partner which basically means they are in bed with them. Everything is microsoft. Not that I hold that against them, it works very well.

Think of all the problems everyday users have...

spyware, viruses, trojans, spam - Not really an issue with a secure network with a commercial antivirus/malware/spyware system installed.

poor performance/instability - Doesn't happen on a system well above the recommended operating specs with only selected applications and well tested drivers.

Working in this environment is nice, the computers are stable,fast, reliable. Everything works. I'm sure my employer and microsoft both do well out of the arrangement.

The reason so many Joe blogs have problems is because Microsoft probably base their strategies on what businesses want. It's obvious that VS.Net was designed for at least 1280*1024 and is quite nice at 1600*1200 but most people can't afford a 21 inch monitor.

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
Re: Microsoft only cares for businesses?
« Reply #1 on: 9 December 2005, 14:22 »
Quote from: Pathos
It's obvious that VS.Net was designed for at least 1280*1024 and is quite nice at 1600*1200 but most people can't afford a 21 inch monitor.

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

i use kdevelop on my 1152x864 @ 75Hz monitor, kdevelop owns VS :D
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #2 on: 9 December 2005, 14:36 »
Quote from: solemnwarning
OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

i use kdevelop on my 1152x864 @ 75Hz monitor, kdevelop owns VS :D
[offtopic]My IDE beats all of yours.[/offtopic]
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #3 on: 9 December 2005, 18:03 »
I recently got a job a tech company as a "Assistant Technician" and I've my perspective on microsoft has changed.

Its very possible that they don't really give that much shit for everyday joe blog customers only big business. People are always going to be able to steal software and microsofts profits, but big Business can't and won't cause they need the guaranteed support (which is good if you've got the money) and will be killed by legal battles. A large company could very likely make microsoft more money than a small town. And the annual income is almost guaranteed. My machine has XP Pro + Office + SQL Server + MS Visual Studio 6 + MS Visual Studio .Net + MSDN installed. Thats easily a grand on a single machine.

My employer is an microsoft business partner which basically means they are in bed with them. Everything is microsoft. Not that I hold that against them, it works very well.

Think of all the problems everyday users have...

spyware, viruses, trojans, spam - Not really an issue with a secure network with a commercial antivirus/malware/spyware system installed.

poor performance/instability - Doesn't happen on a system well above the recommended operating specs with only selected applications and well tested drivers.

Working in this environment is nice, the computers are stable,fast, reliable. Everything works. I'm sure my employer and microsoft both do well out of the arrangement.

The reason so many Joe blogs have problems is because Microsoft probably base their strategies on what businesses want. It's obvious that VS.Net was designed for at least 1280*1024 and is quite nice at 1600*1200 but most people can't afford a 21 inch monitor.

The thing is that most people cannot afford all that stuff you're talking about, also when it comes to software.

Linux makes it much cheaper to get a full operating system running with an office application, SQL server and developer software.
Linux or BSD servers are much cheaper and better.

And all that spyware and anti-virus stuff is just there to fix Microsoft's own mess.
« Last Edit: 9 December 2005, 18:46 by Refalm »

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #4 on: 9 December 2005, 18:30 »

I disagree with all of this from my experiences with Winblow$. Linux is infinitely more stable and secure than any Window$ will ever be, or ever has been ... you can try to argue against this, but you will fail ... it is a fact ... if you don't believe me, then ok, here's an easy test of stability ... leave your Winblow$ machine running for 1 year non-stop, no reboots at all, and you have to be productive with it, you can't just let it sit there. I can almost guarantee that this is not possible with any version of Window$ to date ... but it is possible with Linux. As for security ... well do the same test only keep it connected to the internet ... Linux will win again. Is Window$ faster than Linux at running anything ? I seriously doubt it. Is there anything Window$ can do that Linux can't ... besides a few hardware incompatibilities and a few games that won't run with Winex, there is not much I can think of. I just can't see why, when knowing the benefits of both operating systems one would choose Winblow$ over Linux. I think Linux needs more advertising ... I would have switched years ago if I had known about it ... I only found out about it accidentally.

Pathos

« Reply #5 on: 9 December 2005, 21:08 »
Quote from: Refalm
The thing is that most people cannot afford all that stuff you're talking about, also when it comes to software.

And all that spyware and anti-virus stuff is just there to fix Microsoft's own mess.

Thats exactly my point. Bussinesses can and do pay for it. Everyday users make do with what they've got because they don't have that kind of money to throw around. Modern spyware and anti-virus systems do work and even if a virus got in it could be contained and the hard drive just formated and reinstalled. If you don't spend the money then your windows experience will probably suck. And isn't really interested in people without money are they :P.

Pathos

« Reply #6 on: 9 December 2005, 21:17 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
I disagree with all of this from my experiences with Winblow$. Linux is infinitely more stable and secure than any Window$ will ever be, or ever has been ... you can try to argue against this, but you will fail ... it is a fact ... if you don't believe me, then ok, here's an easy test of stability ... leave your Winblow$ machine running for 1 year non-stop, no reboots at all, and you have to be productive with it, you can't just let it sit there. I can almost guarantee that this is not possible with any version of Window$ to date ... but it is possible with Linux. As for security ... well do the same test only keep it connected to the internet ... Linux will win again. Is Window$ faster than Linux at running anything ? I seriously doubt it. Is there anything Window$ can do that Linux can't ... besides a few hardware incompatibilities and a few games that won't run with Winex, there is not much I can think of. I just can't see why, when knowing the benefits of both operating systems one would choose Winblow$ over Linux. I think Linux needs more advertising ... I would have switched years ago if I had known about it ... I only found out about it accidentally.

Well my experience with XP is much different, stable and virus free. Yes linux is probably more stable, but I've had KDE completely freeze my system and its pretty useless like that. As for compatibilty, running critical programs on wine doesn't sound good to me

but this isn't so much as windows vs linux as windows in the Commercial vs Private world.

If you're a big business and have the cash to make sure it works windows just fine. If you don't have that kind of cash windows may not be the OS for you. Just look at vista, its probably going to be four times as slow and be fill of rpm bs. MS just wants more cash from home users, its not really about improving peoples experience with windows. Meanwhile Microsoft will make sure businesses will continue getting what they want.

dmcfarland

• Kudos: 123
« Reply #7 on: 9 December 2005, 21:48 »
M$ by its very nature only cares for big business, and I think that might be suspect. Microshaft only cares about its profit and how to ring more money out of its customers. TCO for M$ is high across the board. Support is high for M$, and its programs. The selling point for Linux should be reasonable customer support costs, stability, and reliability.

I can only imagine how much it cost a corp to have M$ running on everything, and the lost man hours from malfunctioning software. They most have some extremely big pockets. Then again most CIO are fucking idiots and have never spent a day fixing, configuring, networking or programming computers.

I feel sorry for the tech that has to work in an all M$ shop, and for the users.
Whip me, Beat me, Humiliate me, Mistreat me, and Windows XP me.:fu:

Pathos

« Reply #8 on: 9 December 2005, 22:23 »
Quote from: dmcfarland
I can only imagine how much it cost a corp to have M$ running on everything, and the lost man hours from malfunctioning software. They most have some extremely big pockets. Then again most CIO are fucking idiots and have never spent a day fixing, configuring, networking or programming computers.

What malfunctioning software? Yes I does cost but so would a commercial linux system. And there are some smart people in this company, thats why now has a turn over of several hundred million dollars from being start from scratch.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #9 on: 9 December 2005, 23:15 »
To be honest, I could care less what kind of software a business uses.  Doesn't affect me at all whether the NYSE is run by Windows or CPM or Vax or OS2.  The computers responsible for stock trading will not go down - they must have a redundant array with backup generators, and an IT staff worth more than Belgium.  Because they can fucking afford it.

However, what does concern me is the world of home users and small businesses.  And in that world, Microsoft's vulnerabilities and limited operations and lack of memory management are unfuckingacceptable.  The non-corporate computer user cannot afford the kind of service agreements, hardware synchro, and system-level solidity that Enterprise Linux or Enterprise Windows offers.

At a corporate, well-funded level, the differences between the performance of any systems are minimal.  But on the user end, things are much different.  Linux is adaptable enough that you can use the same distro relatively well for enterprise and home.  Windows is not, and it fails at home.

solemnwarning

« Reply #10 on: 10 December 2005, 03:19 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
[offtopic]My IDE beats all of yours.[/offtopic]

ick, emacs is t3h bloat
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-

dmcfarland

« Reply #11 on: 10 December 2005, 05:25 »
Windows fails at home, because most home users are not all that computer savy and I wouldnt expect them or ask them to be.Whats the solution then? Apple's OSX can only be run Macintoshes. Thats can get expensive not to mention a limited amount of hardware choices, because Apple only manafactures MAC hardware. I know they tried an OEM scheme that didnt work that well.

Linux is stable, reliable and secure, but you have to be a computer nerd or enthusiast to run it and use it. Is their a linux distro (Linpsire doesnt count because it sucks ass,) that has all those above qualities and is easy for a home user to install, fix and maintain?

Home users right now dont have any alternatives except to use buggy, insecure, crappy, and expensive software, buy a MAC and chuck their PC's in the trash, or become a Linux expert, and install a linux distro on the PC.

Pathos

« Reply #12 on: 10 December 2005, 08:31 »
Quote from: solemnwarning
ick, emacs is t3h bloat
amen to that. 20 mega for a bloody text interface editor, my god.

dmcfarland

« Reply #13 on: 10 December 2005, 18:01 »
I have no problems with emacs.

solemnwarning

« Reply #14 on: 10 December 2005, 18:18 »
Why do i need an email client and news reader in my editor?