Author Topic: Bye Bye Firewire...  (Read 1101 times)

sjor

• Kudos: 34
    • http://www.mental.co.nr
Bye Bye Firewire...
« on: 10 December 2005, 19:21 »
Since the iPod Nano (which I have), Apple have taken away Firewire compatibility's on the iPod, which includes the iPod Video.
However, when my iPod is plugged into the Mac via Firewire or into the Firewire charger, it charges. There must be some Firewire compatibility in order to make that work.
I was wondering if there was anyway to tweak the iPod system software to make it work via. Firewire. I wasn't going to do anything about it until my warranty runs out.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
Re: Bye Bye Firewire...
« Reply #1 on: 10 December 2005, 20:56 »
It will charge because there is current.  The chip required for actual Firewire transfer is not there.  It's a hardware limitation.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2005, 00:36 »
That's pretty lame - I might even call that pandering to the PC community.  Since nobody in the PC world has a firewire port, and they probably only had room for one chip on the device.

WMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2005, 04:47 »
It probably is pandering.  They figure that most of their market doesn't have such a port, so just leave it out to make the device smaller.  (The big iPod is now much smaller than I thought they could ever make it with a 1.8" hard drive.)  And for Mac users with Firewire and only USB 1.1?  Buy a new Mac. :rolleyes:

Oh, and never mind that Firewire 400 outpaces USB 2.0....
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

sean

• Kudos: 60
« Reply #4 on: 11 December 2005, 20:12 »
There has been a big stink among Mac users about the whole firewire thing since they stopped shipping the firewire adapter a while ago. I was even a little :mad: that I had to go by an adapter for my Mini. Now with the new iPods, my Macs are obsolete!  But that's the price of technology I guess...also note that they dropped the intenal modem from the latest Mac lineup!
But wer'e not here to bitch about Apple...  :nothappy:
Sean

iMac G5 20" 2.1ghz iSight
iMac G3 400
Airport Express
iPod 6gb silver

:macos:  :macos:  :macos:

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #5 on: 11 December 2005, 20:17 »
Quote from: WMD
It probably is pandering. They figure that most of their market doesn't have such a port, so just leave it out to make the device smaller. (The big iPod is now much smaller than I thought they could ever make it with a 1.8" hard drive.) And for Mac users with Firewire and only USB 1.1? Buy a new Mac. :rolleyes:

Oh, and never mind that Firewire 400 outpaces USB 2.0....
firewire 400 is 400mbps, usb 2.0 is 480Mbps
sig.

WMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 11 December 2005, 20:34 »
Quote from: Lead Head
firewire 400 is 400mbps, usb 2.0 is 480Mbps

Congradulations for FallingForTheNumbers(TM).  USB 2.0 has never, EVER benchmarked at 480mbps.  You'll never hit that speed, not even close.  The speed you WILL get is less than Firewire 400 (which is actually that fast).

Plus, FIrewire delivers more power through the port, has native daisy-chaining, and some other features.  USB is crap, but cheap.
My BSOD gallery

cymon

• Kudos: 172
« Reply #7 on: 14 December 2005, 21:31 »
I'm glad they dropped internal modems. Dial-up is fucking stupid. Selling dial-up next to DSL, Cable, and FiOS is like selling a 486 next to the latest AMD Athlon 64' and PowerMacs.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #8 on: 14 December 2005, 21:42 »
USB can't actually benchmark at its advertised speed because it's software-driven. Firewire is a hardware-driven protocol. Sure, there's USB controllers, but they don't actually do anything.

At all.

USB is nearly all software
Go the fuck ~