Author Topic: OSX & Rm Files  (Read 1769 times)

Parrott

• Kudos: 0
OSX & Rm Files
« on: 15 December 2005, 12:50 »
Gday... was just wondering if there was any thing for osx to play real media files... not a big fan of real player as it is but i do need it to preveiw records that im buying from a particular record store any help would be great cheers in advance :D

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
Re: OSX & Rm Files
« Reply #1 on: 15 December 2005, 17:05 »
Um... RealPlayer for Mac?

Trust me.  It's better than the Windows version.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #2 on: 16 December 2005, 01:05 »
I would say that is their problem, not yours.  Call those fuckers and tell them to use a real file format, or you and all your friends are going to boycott them.  Of course it's just a trick, but they might fall for it.

In all seriousness, though, I would rather be media deprived than a media-type slave.  No Real or WMV on my Mac.  If I am interested enough in the material, I will complain loudly to the owner.

Parrott

« Reply #3 on: 16 December 2005, 04:09 »
:) who knows it might just work.. since they are a registered Apple Reseller i could run some speil of how i just purchased a g5 off them and dont wanna use real player... heh might give that one a burl cheers for your help guys.. i did try to have a look at the real player site before i posted up but as some of you may have noticed it is an utter mess and is a poorly designed webiste which is completely unbrowserble...

i did eventually track down the download none the less... i didnt perticualry want to register my email address with them so i managed to track down a website that is full of regerstered log ins for free websites
http://www.bugmenot.com pritty sweet.. any ways cheers for the help!

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #4 on: 16 December 2005, 14:40 »
why not install mplayer and gmplayer and then install all the codecs, they have a whole lot for realplayer files.

this works fine for me on red hat, and since mplayer is open source i imagine it'll be available for osx.

please, somebody correct me if i am wrong, because i am not sure if mplayer needs X or if OSX uses X or what, for the graphical output to work properly.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 16 December 2005, 23:13 »
Both mplayer and VLC are available as pre-compiled OSX native binaries.  You don't even need to have X11 installed.  Both can cover almost any media you can throw at them.  Mplayer is only v1.2, v2 isn't available for the Mac yet.

To prove to someone else that it could be done, I installed xine on OSX too. Requires a shitload of work with gtk-ish dependencies, but can be done.  I actually like xine's ability to take a dvd screenshot, but other than that, I hate it.

Parrott

« Reply #6 on: 19 December 2005, 04:14 »
hey just anouther question... do you guys think that a basic mac mini running 1 gig of ram would be decent enough to do some low end sound production? just looping breaks and recording sessions... ?

cheers for all the help so far :)

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #7 on: 19 December 2005, 11:33 »
Quote from: Parrott
hey just anouther question... do you guys think that a basic mac mini running 1 gig of ram would be decent enough to do some low end sound production? just looping breaks and recording sessions... ?

cheers for all the help so far :)
I think if you put GarageBand on it, you could have Rivers Cuomo asking to use your "studio," let's put it that way.  ;)

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Parrott

« Reply #8 on: 19 December 2005, 14:02 »
erh... its not intended as a "studio" you wang how hard is it to read mate?

im running cooledit fruity loops and acid pro atm im just looking for an alternative that is going to be more versatile than my shitey Hp Pavillion,your gayblokery isnt welcome mate

themacuser

• Kudos: 120
« Reply #9 on: 19 December 2005, 23:27 »
Quote from: worker201
Both mplayer and VLC are available as pre-compiled OSX native binaries.  You don't even need to have X11 installed.  Both can cover almost any media you can throw at them.  Mplayer is only v1.2, v2 isn't available for the Mac yet.

To prove to someone else that it could be done, I installed xine on OSX too. Requires a shitload of work with gtk-ish dependencies, but can be done.  I actually like xine's ability to take a dvd screenshot, but other than that, I hate it.

Umm, DVD screenshotting seems to work for me on Apple's DVD player...

Funny.
I'm often asked why I hate Microsoft - "What did they ever do to you?". Well, I'll tell you. They made dodgy programs and standards which have wasted hundreds of hours of my time involving lost work in crashes and stupidity.

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: 20 December 2005, 00:28 »
Quote from: themacuser
Umm, DVD screenshotting seems to work for me on Apple's DVD player...

Funny.

I meant xine on Linux.  That's the only reason to have it installed in Linux.  Because mplayer will not take a screenshot.

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: 20 December 2005, 00:31 »
Quote from: Parrott
erh... its not intended as a "studio" you wang how hard is it to read mate?

im running cooledit fruity loops and acid pro atm im just looking for an alternative that is going to be more versatile than my shitey Hp Pavillion,your gayblokery isnt welcome mate

Your lack of intelligence and sense of humor isn't welcome either, "mate".

I thought it was pretty obvious that Orethrius was telling you that the average modern Apple is more than capable of doing good high-end professional sound editing (and therefore, low-end amateur stuff too).  If you want to know what some good sound programs are, then that's another question.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #12 on: 20 December 2005, 18:40 »
Quote from: worker201
I meant xine on Linux.  That's the only reason to have it installed in Linux.  Because mplayer will not take a screenshot.

you can just use another screengrabbing thing while playing it in mplayer can't you? i am sure i've done this before...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
« Reply #13 on: 10 January 2006, 04:10 »
Sorry to get in on this late. RM plays just fine in OSX. Real has a player for OS X. It has been recent though. However, if you want to save RM files and recode them, you have to take the RM plugin out of your browser (I'm speaking of Firefox) and save to disc. If you don't the plugin overrules your browser and won't let you save.

ffmegX is shareware (not crippleware, you have to look at a BUY ME screen if you don't pay) that will transcode RM video to divX avis that play in mplayer or vlc and with no real loss of quality. If you want to transcode audio only, just play it and use freeware Wiretap an save as uncompressed wave (aiff). It's installer sudos root, so if you install ffmepX you MUST be logged in as admin, or Darwin will threaten to 'report you'.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #14 on: 10 January 2006, 19:41 »
Quote from: davidnix71
Sorry to get in on this late. RM plays just fine in OSX. Real has a player for OS X. It has been recent though. However, if you want to save RM files and recode them, you have to take the RM plugin out of your browser (I'm speaking of Firefox) and save to disc. If you don't the plugin overrules your browser and won't let you save.
Does "File > Save Page As..." (not sure if "Page" stays/goes/changes) not work?
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.