Author Topic: What is the best Mac now?  (Read 1229 times)

TonyFordz

• Kudos: 10
    • http://TonyFordz.net
What is the best Mac now?
« on: 23 December 2005, 13:39 »
I have not used a Mac since around about 1996, and that may not be long but in computer years its for ever. I am just wondering how much easier it is to build a custom Mac now days then it was back then. I don't even know what socket the CPUs are on Macs anymore. I do remember that my PowerMac back then was just as good as any PC now days games & graphics wise.

Just curious, and if anyone knows of some good sites for parts on Macs let me know. I do not think NewEgg has many Mac parts...

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Re: What is the best Mac now?
« Reply #1 on: 23 December 2005, 16:11 »
One word: Power Macintosh. Never be fooled, Apple doesn't go cheapo on any machine, but there IS a tangible difference in the "consumer" and "pro" lines. Even if you don't go new, go Power Mac.
Go the fuck ~

cymon

• Kudos: 172
« Reply #2 on: 23 December 2005, 16:32 »
It is possible to build a mac. macopz.com has a guide on how to build a G4. But if you want to build a G5, I would just suggest picking up a service manual to the Power Mac G5, that should tell you how it all fits together.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #3 on: 23 December 2005, 18:12 »
Are Macs cheaper to build or buy?

It's far cheaper to go out and buy a radio than building one yourself although if you'used a good design the one you've built might be better quality.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
« Reply #4 on: 23 December 2005, 19:15 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Are Macs cheaper to build or buy?

would probebly be the same... that's if you can actually buy all the parts for them.

I don't think it'll be cheaper to build because there isn't much competition in mac cooling, mac motherboards, psu's(do macs need special PSU?, etc. I'm guessing that it would end the same or more expensive to build (shipping charges per part?) But I can be wrong, I'm just a PC user. ;)

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #5 on: 23 December 2005, 19:18 »
Quote from: hm_murdock
One word: Power Macintosh. Never be fooled, Apple doesn't go cheapo on any machine, but there IS a tangible difference in the "consumer" and "pro" lines. Even if you don't go new, go Power Mac.

That's true...and there are some great deals on Power Mac G4s out there.  I was gonna say the iMac is the best Mac to buy now based on value...although, they aren't pro products.

With the G5 era, building a custom Mac is harder if anything.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

sean

• Kudos: 60
« Reply #6 on: 23 December 2005, 21:19 »
Just wait a little longer and the new Mac line will be introduced. I have been waiting for them to phase out the g5's, mainly because the g5 iMac is so damned ugly  ;)
Sean

iMac G5 20" 2.1ghz iSight
iMac G3 400
Airport Express
iPod 6gb silver

:macos:  :macos:  :macos:

cymon

• Kudos: 172
« Reply #7 on: 23 December 2005, 21:54 »
Are you insane? The iMac G5 rocks. I'm amazed they got that much power into that little space.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #8 on: 24 December 2005, 03:00 »
I'm thinking G4 iBook for my next machine.  My G3 iBook has been a darling to me.  An iMac or a mini would probably be cheaper, but I like the portability.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #9 on: 24 December 2005, 05:48 »
I thought I was all about 'books. Then I got a Power Mac.
Go the fuck ~