Author Topic: OSX Root  (Read 1487 times)

gnomez

• Kudos: 0
OSX Root
« Reply #15 on: 15 May 2003, 11:43 »
I have a great script for you OS X users

Code: [Select]

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
OSX Root
« Reply #16 on: 15 May 2003, 12:19 »
Code: [Select]
[/qb]<hr></blockquote>

ummm... Linux User, why do you keep posting this crap? I mean, your cover is blown, it's not even that funny.

[ May 15, 2003: Message edited by: psyjax: plain 'ol psyjax ]

Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
OSX Root
« Reply #17 on: 15 May 2003, 12:57 »
quote:
Originally posted by dot.this:
I've been using OS X for about a year, and, after briefly trying admin login, have always logged in as root. I've had no, repeat, NO problems because of it. It makes a lot of things much easier, too. I never have to open up the terminal and type in stuff to extend my privileges, for instance. I just have them, like I did with OS 9.

I think the fears are unfounded. I haven't found anyone who'll say what problems they've had as a result of root login; they just repeat the claim that it's "risky". In my experience, it's not.

if you can't tell why a computer connected to the internet should not have people running programs as root on it, then there is nothing anybody can tell you...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

gnomez

OSX Root
« Reply #18 on: 15 May 2003, 13:30 »
Who is Linux user?  Do not mistake me for some stupid hippie!  If I ever see that guy in real life I'm going to kick him square in the nuts!

Win-dows 2003
Sweet OS of the free
God save Bill Gates

Linux is full of shit
Mac OS is for pricks
From every mountain side
Let Ballmer scream.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
OSX Root
« Reply #19 on: 15 May 2003, 13:57 »
quote:
Originally posted by 69waluigi69:
Who is Linux user?  Do not mistake me for some stupid hippie!  If I ever see that guy in real life I'm going to kick him square in the nuts!

Win-dows 2003
Sweet OS of the free
God save Bill Gates

Linux is full of shit
Mac OS is for pricks
From every mountain side
Let Ballmer scream.

look, give it up, these "useless attacks" are not helping anybody. seek professional advice.
how is this dumb little poem of yours making anybody think for themselves about anything?
discussion is supposed to be about adding things, not just boring people to death with mindless nonsense.

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
OSX Root
« Reply #20 on: 15 May 2003, 16:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by dot.this:
I've been using OS X for about a year, and, after briefly trying admin login, have always logged in as root. I've had no, repeat, NO problems because of it. It makes a lot of things much easier, too. I never have to open up the terminal and type in stuff to extend my privileges, for instance. I just have them, like I did with OS 9.

I think the fears are unfounded. I haven't found anyone who'll say what problems they've had as a result of root login; they just repeat the claim that it's "risky". In my experience, it's not.

I'm sure you've heard that it's better to be safe than sorry. Well, I guess you were lucky until now. You may still continue to be that lucky, but believe me one day your luck will run out. People with basic knowledge on *NIX-like systems would not do anything that would compromise their system's security.

Faust

OSX Root
« Reply #21 on: 15 May 2003, 17:33 »
eg:
lets delete that old folder in my home dir...
i should specify the absolute path so I dont delete the wrong folder!
ok heres what i type in the command line:
rm -rf /home/ /user_name/old_folder << woops! someone didnt notice that they accidently hit the spacebar!
oh dear, bye bye home dir.
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

Faust

OSX Root
« Reply #22 on: 15 May 2003, 17:35 »
quote:

And of course we know more than venerable unix admins who still remember pdp* boxes!
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
OSX Root
« Reply #23 on: 15 May 2003, 18:28 »
quote:

have you ever considered working for microsoft's PR dept? (maybe you already do!) i can just imagine it would be natural for you to say things like "... And with our new "phone home" technology, your data is safer than it's ever been before, all you need to do is upgrade to Microsoft PhoneHome XPX 2003 for US$599 and your system will be safe from viruses and hackers for months to come!"