Author Topic: Bloody Universal Plug and Play  (Read 3086 times)

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
Bloody Universal Plug and Play
« on: 26 January 2006, 05:03 »
MS made up this so called "Universal Plug and Play."  The instant I read about it, I knew it was a bad idea.  Network devices shouldn't be searched and automatically configued.  

MS made it up. They enabled it by default on their operating systems... you know the story.. we are MS, we have a desktop monopoly, we will bundle something with the OS and force it on customers and then all the businesses will pick it up.  

It was a known security risk.

It was known to cause problems.

My work computer runs XP pro (I don't have a choice, it's the company computer, they own it, company policy says I don't put any other OS on it).  For months after I put on SP2 (again, I didn't have a choice), the damned thing would just slow to a freaking crawl for no reason, because the WINLOGON.EXE program would go haywire, and the only thing I could do was reboot it.  GRR.

I made sure I had no malware.  Finally I find out that this happens sometimes when you have UPnP enabled, and SP2 re-enables it by default.  WTF.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
Re: Bloody Universal Plug and Play
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2006, 05:27 »
Probably doesn't have anything at all to do with it, but I found out today that you must have cookies enabled to download a piece of clipart from the Microsoft Office page.  I mean, can't even get to the page where you download stuff unless they are satisfied with your cookie handling.  Why is that?  I thought that was a little excessive, and had no real purpose but to keep tabs on a user.  And not to improve their surfing experience either.

Really, I can't understand why people would use Windows as their OS of choice.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2006, 09:49 »
I use this at work:
XP-antispy

Disabling stupid bullshit like UnPnP is just one click away.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2006, 20:16 »
There are two Windows plug and play services, one can be disabled without any problems but the other fucks your system up if it's disabled.

Quote from: worker201

Really, I can't understand why people would use Windows as their OS of choice.

Duh, software & hardware compatability and because it's what they're used to.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2006, 20:35 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez

Duh, software & hardware compatability and because it's what they're used to.
And because they don't know anything else exists. Windows was my OS of "choice" before I learned of the existance of GNU/Linux.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2006, 20:58 »
Installing XP SP2 over SP1 causes problems for many users, you aren't the only one. Most [smart] people slipstream it onto their CD.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #6 on: 27 January 2006, 03:29 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
And because they don't know anything else exists. Windows was my OS of "choice" before I learned of the existance of GNU/Linux.

I agree ... most people are to quote them "not goood with computehhhs" ... so when you ask them ... so do you prefer Window$, Mac, or Linux as your operating system ... they would respond with "Huuuhhh ? Uhhh ... lemme think ... uhhh .... wait ... ok ... when I pressed the little button on the front of my computeehhh it says Windoze so I guess I go wit windoze ... yuh ... (drool on self)". :D

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 27 January 2006, 03:41 »
A more likely response would be "What do you mean, operating system?"  There are people who are working for the university who think that every computer on the planet features Word, Outlook, Excel, and Windows.  In fact, they don't even know the names of anything, that's how clueless they are to the world of choices.  It would be like asking you what operating system is on your flashlight, as far as they are concerned.

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #8 on: 27 January 2006, 05:53 »
man that's sad ... why do people have to be so ... ignorant .... I was gonna say stupid, but maybe they can learn ? ... maybe they just don't care ? ... is there any hope of changing them for the better ? ... is it worth trying ? ... live and let die ... ?

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 27 January 2006, 16:23 »
This doesn't just apply to MS software you know.

I was reading a specification from customer this morning and they specified the proprietary Windows-only engineering software we should use to create design for them and that all documentation should be in Word and Excel format. :mad:
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #10 on: 27 January 2006, 16:43 »
Yes, and I've also noticed that the official European computer diploma (ECDL) requires you to learn Windows and MS Office :thumbdwn:

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #11 on: 28 January 2006, 00:30 »
Well what else could they require ? M$ Office is very similar in many ways to OpenOfiice, with different layout but similar functionality ... OpenOffice being the more functional of the two. But I dunno, I would have been surprized if they required say Linux and OpenOffice ...

A better thing to require is a brain that can figure out any Operating System using any desktop environment and any word processor ... that would earn you a real diploma, not a certified in Winblows and M$ Office bullshit diploma

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 28 January 2006, 13:49 »
Lots of firms don't use OO because it lacks porgrams like Visio and MS Project also it isn't compatable with MS Office VB scripting so all their old macros won't work, in other words they're locked in.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #13 on: 28 January 2006, 18:40 »
Quote from: Refalm
Yes, and I've also noticed that the official European computer diploma (ECDL) requires you to learn Windows and MS Office :thumbdwn:

Where'd you hear that? A few months ago I looked into that and saw that you can use any software so long as it has the functionality tested.

I'm pretty sure OOo has the functionality, and Firefox damn-fucking-well has what it needs, but nearly all places teach MS Office (kinda lame) and IE (LAME), and I'm not sure if they will/have to let you sit the exam with something else.
« Last Edit: 28 January 2006, 18:50 by piratePenguin »
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: 28 January 2006, 22:25 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Lots of firms don't use OO because it lacks porgrams like Visio and MS Project also it isn't compatable with MS Office VB scripting so all their old macros won't work, in other words they're locked in.

The reason OO isn't compatible with VB Scripts is that VB Scripts are a half-assed implementation that should have been scrapped years ago.  No sane person uses them.