Author Topic: Destroy Internet Explorer campaign gets tooled up  (Read 2275 times)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
Destroy Internet Explorer campaign gets tooled up
« on: 29 April 2006, 20:45 »
THE EXPLORER DESTROYER campaign has taken upon itself to promote the destruction of Internet Explorer and promote Firefox instead.

In the UK such actions are illegal, as they could be deemed an incitement to cause harm to a pillar of the community and therefore terrorist in nature.

"Google," says the campaign's online headquarters, "is paying $1 for each new Firefox user you refer. Now you can advance your ideals, save people from popups and spyware hell, and make some serious money."

Organisers of the campaign have produced a software tool that detects Internet Explorer users visting your website. You set this tool to give your users different levels of harassment for using Voleware. These range for a gentle nudge get Firefox to barring IE users from your site.

Those excited about the campaign will have to have a Google ADsense account to earn a dollar from the Web-searchers for those persuaded to see the light.

"For each person you switch, Google gives you $1, Microsoft loses marketshare, and an angel gets its wings," says the site.

Mind you, if your Adsense account never tips the $100 mark you'll never see penny, complains a blogger called Nicholas Carr, here.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31278

I don't like these marketing tactics, I don't mind people publicising Firefox but this is going too far and it isn't as if there are only two browsers to choose from Firefox or Microsoft Internet Explorer this is stupid.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
Re: Destroy Internet Explorer campaign gets tooled up
« Reply #1 on: 29 April 2006, 21:16 »
The definition of terrorist (according to me ... or as it should be defined):

A person who uses violence to obtain a political goal.

I think they are not terrorists. But, yes, their tactics are not too ethical and probably won't help their cause much. I say focus on promoting non-M$ software (browsers included), but not so much on actively harrasing users of M$ software. It's tempting though ... I've always wanted to put the huge image that crashes IE on my website to weed out the IE users :) ... downside is no one would come to your site ...

By harassing users you actually turn them away from FF ... imagine if people tried to get you to switch to a new browser by harrassing you ... I wouldn't switch

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #2 on: 29 April 2006, 21:44 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez

I don't like these marketing tactics, I don't mind people publicising Firefox but this is going too far and it isn't as if there are only two browsers to choose from Firefox or Microsoft Internet Explorer this is stupid.
I agree, they should promote Firefox, Opera, Konqueror AND dillo, all at once.

Oh and Safari.

EDIT: And links.
And all these!
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #3 on: 30 April 2006, 00:46 »
Most of the links on that page are dead ... only one that worked and looked decent was Amaya

http://www.w3.org/Amaya/

I'm trying it now ... it's quite fast. Anyway, I'm interested mostly in browsers NOT based on Gecko or IE or Opera ... a new, independent browser.

EDIT: I found the others whose links were dead:

Chimera

Grail

SurfIt!

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 30 April 2006, 02:59 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
I agree, they should promote  And  these!

A bit old though - it hasn't been updated since July 2000.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #5 on: 30 April 2006, 06:40 »
And all these!

Yet another site argument for a WikiMedia approach.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2006, 01:31 »
I don't see how this project would work quite as good if it also touted even just Opera. Google's partly to blame - they're giving the $1 for every user referred to FF, not to Opera.

Getting paid is the interesting thing.

And jesus, IE must fucking die.

My beef with IE isn't even it's insecurity or it's general shittyness - it's just the fucking disregard for web-standards. Not even the new web-standards, the old ones. The ones that all of FF, Opera, Konq, Safari support. XHTML being a big one.

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2006, 11:34 »
Fuck it I agree, I'm adding your sig to mine.

• VIP
  • Kudos: 223
« Reply #8 on: 5 June 2006, 22:07 »
Its open source software for Gods sake! You shouldn't be making money off it! However I personally think they shouldn't just  
promote firefox, I think Mozilla's ok, and so is Konquerer.  

If you ask me, I think they are just using firefox to get them money.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #9 on: 5 June 2006, 22:22 »
Quote from: 7031
Its open source software for Gods sake! You shouldn't be making money off it!

Say what?  Why not?  Perhaps in this case, it is just trickery/scammage, but there's no reason that open source software developers should never get paid.  In fact, if they can come up with an honest way to get paid and continue to keep the source open, then good for them.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: 5 June 2006, 22:22 »
Its open source software for Gods sake! You shouldn't be making money off it!
Well, they're taking the money off Google. And Google give it because they have more users using the Google toolbar, and more people use Firefox (Google employ people to improve Firefox - they mostly do usability work).

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 5 June 2006, 22:35 »
Yes and Google make money from proprietary software too, in fact most companies do if if they do suport open sourse software.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #12 on: 5 June 2006, 22:39 »
Yes and Google make money from proprietary software too, in fact most companies do if if they do suport open sourse software.
I wouldn't be so sure MOST companies do..... But alot of them do.

Google make most of their money from ads, very close to all of it I would guess.. I think they get some for the advanced (or somethin') version of google earth.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 6 June 2006, 19:20 »
I wouldn't be so sure MOST companies do.....

Maybe someone could list the ones that don't - I certainly can't think of any.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #14 on: 7 June 2006, 08:02 »
Maybe someone could list the ones that don't - I certainly can't think of any.
Have you heard of Mozilla? ;)
Yea, Mozilla are a Fucking Cool group - they make good software - good free software, they employ people to develop it, and they're far from dead.

I know more than most people about Mozilla, and I don't know that they make money from any non-free software (it's quite possible that they do, but I would be very surprised) - so that says something.

Beats Opera - who - won't release the code of their web-browser because, I read in an interview with the CEO, they don't see the benefit in releasing the source. Just who's benefit do you think he's thinking about when he says that?

Stack that against the Fucking Cool Mozilla and you'll find another reason (it's kinda more of an extension though...) I won't use Opera full-time.

BTW:
I do not believe that making Opera open source would benefit us all that much. I do not think it has benefitted Netscape much either. I believe that we should work as closely with the community as possible and find ways to enable the community to engage and influence what we do to an even greater extent. I do not think that going open source would make us more efficient.

Yea - this has feck all to do with the original discussion, but neither does where Google get's their money from (which is mostly from advertisements...). I just read your post - thought "Mozilla" and then thought "shit Mozilla is cool!", and then I started typing.