Author Topic: Firefox 3  (Read 5226 times)

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Re: Firefox 3
« Reply #30 on: 11 September 2008, 14:07 »
without the same degree of compatibility though, and my main problem with epiphany is that it has much less control over what data/cookies etc are stored and for how long. Firefox, Opera and Mozilla win this battle. Even Ie beats epiphany in this area. Epiphany is good though, it's preferable to dillo when i need a fairly small and quick browser with no bells and whistles.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #31 on: 12 September 2008, 00:38 »
So use Epiphany. It's a browser with the Gecko engine that is using the same plug-ins as Firefox, and has similar extensions, without the bloat.

It's also annoying as fuck as every new tab opens the home page when you just want a blank tab.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #32 on: 12 September 2008, 14:31 »
yes, i almost killed myself by strangulation with a guitar string after accidentally drinking a glass of arsenic instead of a cup of coffee, and it was all because of the emotional trauma of seeing that epiphany home page. Before i had even had a chance to change it in preferences i had actually died, it was so stressful, so if anybody can recommend a cure for that, then please reply.
« Last Edit: 12 September 2008, 14:38 by Calum »

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #33 on: 12 September 2008, 22:58 »
Yeah, I don't see what is so bad about it loading the hompage. Woo a few extra KB of data transfered, not like it makes a difference.
sig.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #34 on: 12 September 2008, 23:11 »
It's just annoying because you have to wait for it, or get half the address you typed wiped by whatever the homepage is.

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
« Reply #35 on: 13 September 2008, 22:11 »
Firefox 3 takes more work to customize than 2 because it has way too many built-in features. The url history display is really annoying. The only way I could find to kill it was delete all built-in bookmarks and set history to zero days. The appearance is cluttered compared to version 2.

Having more than one profile in OSX isn't easy either. The profile manager is hidden inside an executable and has to be accessed from Terminal.  /Applications/firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox -profilemanager

Then you have to uncheck the box for bypassing the profile manager at startup, otherwise you're back to the default profile.

With 2 profiles I can run Firefox2 with all the proper addons and Firefox3 with its proper addons, without gunking everything up at each restart.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #36 on: 22 September 2008, 16:42 »
It's just annoying because you have to wait for it, or get half the address you typed wiped by whatever the homepage is.
again, did you even read my post?

someone like yourself, who's always parping on about how much they know about kernel infrastructure, network security and memory management should probably be able to figure out how to change the homepage to about:blank in the preferences dialog of your browser.