Author Topic: Firefox 3  (Read 5222 times)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
Firefox 3
« on: 29 August 2008, 17:07 »
I've just got Firefox 3 and it's quite good.

I like the way it now zooms images and Macromedia flashes and doesn't loose your downloads between sessions.

I'm still going to use Opera most of the time though because I love speed dial too much. I know it could be implemented by designing my own custom home page but with Opera I don't have to bother.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Re: Firefox 3
« Reply #1 on: 29 August 2008, 17:22 »
I hate that zoom does images and shit now, I just want to get text so I can read a long article sitting back in my chair - I didn't want it pushed into a horizontal scrollbar. There should be an option for just text or both and there isn't. It's kinda pathetic.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 29 August 2008, 19:54 »
So what's your favourite browser now?

You obviously don't know how to use it properly because there's an option to zoom just text.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #3 on: 29 August 2008, 23:48 »
Firefox 3 is my favorite browser, my second favorite is a tie between IE7 and Safari. Both those have an annoying issue where they ignore middle clicks if a javascript says a link should open in a new Window, both Microsoft and Apple have not put much thought into my middle mouse button.

IE7 is easily one of the most secure browsers around without running untrusted ActiveX.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2008, 09:52 »
I've been using Firefox3 as my primary browser since a month before it's release.  I had tried using the alphas and betas, but there was an essential feature missing on the Mac - keyboard shortcuts like cut and paste didn't work in dialog boxes.  It was fixed in the first release candidates, and I've been using it ever since.

Just about the only thing I don't like about Firefox3 is the default theme.  The default for the Windows version is actually very nice looking, but the Mac default is this hideous all-brushed aluminum thing.  I've been cruising for replacement themes, and I picked up a Camino clone last night which I am very pleased with.

Other browsers I have installed: Safari, Sea Monkey, Camino, Firefox Minefield (custom built), Amaya, Flock, Opera, and Webkit (test build of Safari).  They mostly get used for testing stuff.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #5 on: 30 August 2008, 10:26 »
Testing what? Other peoples websites? I'm not aware of you doing any design.

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 31 August 2008, 06:45 »
I don't exactly have a mailing list that I send out to announce my personal projects (many of which are experimental).  For the most part, though, having that many browsers is kinda ridiculous, even for someone who is doing professional design contracting.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #7 on: 1 September 2008, 17:20 »

I like the way it now zooms images and Macromedia flashes and doesn't loose your downloads between sessions.

I'm still going to use Opera most of the time though because I love speed dial too much. I know it could be implemented by designing my own custom home page but with Opera I don't have to bother.

Funny you say that, someone wrote a speed-dial add-on for FireFox  (Y)

I just looked up the Firefox Mac theme, it does not look to bad, but it looks like they tried way to hard to make it look like Safari.
sig.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #8 on: 1 September 2008, 18:04 »
And Safari looks like shit.

(so does osx)

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: 1 September 2008, 20:07 »
I just looked up the Firefox Mac theme, it does not look to bad, but it looks like they tried way to hard to make it look like Safari.

I just get sick and tired of the grey and metal sometimes.  I want some color in my browser.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 1 September 2008, 21:51 »

Funny you say that, someone wrote a speed-dial add-on for FireFox  (Y)

Is there an extension that gives a similar functionality to notes?

I find Opera notes handy because they allow me to can engineering symbols and responses to questions I get asked repeatedly on and electronics forum I visit.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 2 September 2008, 00:23 »
I've just downloaded the speed dial extension and clippings and so far so good.

I don't know if either will work with the next Firefox version which is why I'd rather have a fully featured browser rather than relying on potentially buggy extensions.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #12 on: 2 September 2008, 01:44 »
Usually shit only breaks with major updates, like Firefox 4 etc.

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: 2 September 2008, 02:02 »
I don't know if either will work with the next Firefox version which is why I'd rather have a fully featured browser rather than relying on potentially buggy extensions.

Similarly, I don't want those crappy features in my browser, which is why I'd rather have an infinitely extendable browser rather than relying on a shitload of useless overhead.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #14 on: 2 September 2008, 05:54 »
I'm not sure, but I think one of these may offer what you are looking for

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3970

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2011

While I do like the fact that FireFox is so expandable, there are some features in Opera that I find neat, like the Speed Dial function.
sig.