Operating Systems > Linux and UNIX

Rolling Again

(1/5) > >>

worker201:
In a fit of crazy, I wiped Windows from my ThinkPad and installed the KDE spin of Fedora 12.  It's been a long time since I've used Linux on a regular basis, and this is my first time using KDE in over 10 years.  So things should be interesting.  My first goal is to get all my development stuff installed, so we'll see how that goes.  First impression - Konqueror is not very pretty.

I'll be making more posts to this thread as I discover fun in Linux.

Aloone_Jonez:
What spec' is the ThinkPad?

I had one in the early 90s, it was a 486 with 8MB RAM. I got it second hand ans the battery was fucked. I've not owned a laptop for years, the last was a P166 with 32MB of RAM and a 800x600 display which could only do 16-bit high colour. I still have it but the battery is now fucked and there's a couple of lines missing from the display.

I like Fedora, much better than Red Hat 9.

I've not tried KDE recently, I've always gone with XFCE.

I still have an install on my hard drive when I was using an old machine with 256MB RAM so KDE wasn't really an option. Now I have 1GB, maybe when I upgrade to x64 Fedora I'll give KDE ago.

I'll do that after I've installed the new Raptor hard drive which I'm waiting to get a SATA cable for.

worker201:
Specs on the Thinkpad:
1.66 GHz Core Duo Yonah T5500
2 GB RAM
Intel 945GM (chosen specifically for Linux compatibility when I first bought the computer years ago)
2 GB 7200 rpm HD
no battery available

The last Fedore I installed was 8, back when I was working at the university.  So far, it's been interesting.  I'm finding that KDE is very different than Gnome.  But it does look nice.  Package installation has been smooth so far - which is good because there's a lot of work to do.  I've got PostgreSQL, PHP, Pear, PostGIS and Firefox installed so far.  Still a long ways to go.

We've talked a lot about how Linux includes a lot of stuff out of the box, which Windows doesn't have.  I'm finding that's just not the case anymore.  If you install Linux from a live CD, it's pretty sparse.  Takes a good afternoon with the package program just to get things moving.  However, the fact that you can get pretty much anything, including a whole new GUI, from the package program is pretty useful.  With Windows, you have to sit there with your CDs and product keys, and obviously this way is much simpler.

Lead Head:
 Hows the overall responsiveness of the system?

worker201:
Very slow.  KDE seems to have a lot of graphical overhead.  At any given time, I only have a couple hundred MB RAM available.  Perhaps the memory usage needs to be modified?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version