Operating Systems > Linux and UNIX

Rolling Again

<< < (2/5) > >>

Aloone_Jonez:

--- Quote from: worker201 on  4 April 2010, 23:38 ---2 GB 7200 rpm HD
--- End quote ---
Don't you mean 200GB?

I think it must be KDE. I've run Fedora 11 with 256MB of RAM and it wasn't that bad.

I've heard that it's normal for Linux to swallow as much free memory as possible to use for things such as disk buffers, if more memory is required, the buffer size is reduced.

worker201:
Sorry, 200GB hard drive.

If one wanted to adjust the amount of memory used, how would one do that?  Anybody?

I'm viewing this right now in KDE Firefox, and it is nice looking.  I guess this computer is driving the graphics a little harder than I normally do on my Mac - everything is smaller and clearer.

But I have to use a mouse with this computer - the trackpad sucks.  Or, rather, the trackpad on the Mac is the best ever, and nobody else can come close.

Lead Head:
The trackpad on my friends MacBook Pro drove me insane. Hated it. Actually most trackpads drive me insane, terrible things. Give me a good mouse any day.

Does Fedora let you install multiple window managers? Would be interesting to compare Gnome and KDE performance back to back.

piratePenguin:
you dont need to run a benchmark to know gnome runs much smoother than kde. kde does drive things harder on the graphics end and is more modern.

btw, gnome 2.3 is coming out in 6 or so months, its got a pretty interesting new shell. it'll be interesting to see if the footprint gets bigger, as thats always been a priority for them ( i dont mean the footprint in their logo!)

Aloone_Jonez:
No, I don't know how to alter the memory location settings.

Yes, Fedora easily allows installing multiple WMs, just use yum.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version