Miscellaneous > Intellectual Property & Law

ICANN and the US

(1/3) > >>

yourlife:
OK, this is probably stupid, but I think its a point worth making

OK so America do not have a country code, so lets take the example of the government domain.
US = .gov
UK = .uk.gov
See the issue? It makes you think, who really owns ICANN? It's meant to be run by every country, but by the looks of it, the US own it...
If lets say we got an alien to look at this, then which country would they go to first? the one that looks the mightiest, and America is basically saying that with their fancy, no country, domain

What we should see is:
US = .us.gov
UK = uk.gov
Yes? Good

Same with telephone codes
US = +1
UK = +44
WTF IS GOING ON HERE????

And hold on, who invented telecommunications? Oh yes, THE BRITISH, so why has AMERICA TAKING OVER ALL OF THE SUDDEN?

Admittedly the US did make the internet but we did make telecommunications and the telephone(?)

Anyway, I just think its unfair and that every country should be treated the same way and by the looks of it the US are sitting on a nice cushion.

Please share you views...

Lead Head:
The US DOES have its own country code - .US. Just not many things seem to use it. Wikipedia says ICANN does not manage .gov TLDs. .gov is managed by the GSA. This is because the Internet as basically started as a US government funded project.

The Telephone has no single inventor, but the first person to ever successfully patent it was Alexander Graham Bell - and he patented it with the US Patent Office. Anyways, the +1 country code is not just the US, It also includes Canada. Not to mention the organization that came up with the country telephone codes is based in Geneva Switzerland.

yourlife:
I still don't like it.
US should have .us.gov (or is it .gov.us? I always get it mixed around) and .co.us like the rest of the world has to.

I don't care if the bitches made the internet, same as I don't care that 9/11 was caused by the US military.

DO NOT LECTURE ME ON 9/11, start another topic for that.

Lead Head:
The rest of the world doesn't have to do anything if they don't want to. People in England, Australia, whatever can register .com websites just the same as we can. They choose to use .co.uk to show that their website is UK based, but they don't have to. Just like how people in America have the option of using .us to show the website is US based, but they don't have to.

The only limitations is that people/companies outside the US, or at least do not have an operating branch in the US cannot register a .us domain name. Only government bodies can use .gov. We were the first to start using the internet, as a result government agencies started using .gov before any  one else did. Obviously other countries wanted it for their governments so they started doing .gov.uk, gov.nz , etc...Why should we change all of our website names because other countries started using different variations after us?

I don't even know why I'm bothering to argue this. It really doesn't matter at all. Nobody is going to think the US is a superior nation because they use .gov, and everybody else needs a suffix.

Aloone_Jonez:
I don't care about any of this and if this really pisses you off it's a good sign that you're happy with your life, otherwise you'd have more important stuff to complain about.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version