Miscellaneous > Intellectual Property & Law

ICANN and the US

<< < (3/3)

yourlife:
"National Cybersecurity" wtf? I does not take a genius to work out that if you block America from the internet, you will block thousands of other countries internet as well, and no one nation should have any control over the internet.

Unless I'm confused over this...

davidnix71:
The Internet treats blockage as "damage" and routes around it, but if the US gov't demanded that all US phone carriers stop all traffic exiting or entering the US, the US internet would only be isolated from the rest of the world. To actually bring down the Web, all they would have to do is order the DNS hubs to shut down or just go in and fsck up their routing tables. Without the ability to lookup, you aren't going to have much traffic. Most websites are scripted to pull ads and content. That would cease. Even if you knew the full IP of a site, you would get a mostly blank page.

If you have a phone bill in the US there is a "Universal Access Fee" on your bill that the feds put there. It pays for universities and libraries to have internet access so in theory anyone can use it for free if they don't have a home connection. We don't own the web, but we do pay a lot of money to make it work like it does. Without that phone subsidy, the web in the US would revert to the AOL days where you were actually not on the web, just a private dialup server that pretended to be the web. I haven't telnetted into the county library in years. I don't think it's even possible anymore.

ICANN just allowed other alphabets to be used in web names. That makes the web truly universal.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/icann-approves-internet-addresses-in-arabic-cyrillic-script-1877447.html

reactosguy:

--- Quote from: yourlife on  7 August 2010, 17:38 ---It makes you think, who really owns ICANN? It's meant to be run by every country, but by the looks of it, the US own it...

--- End quote ---

Actually, I feel that the ICANN runs itself and it's just based in the US.

--- Quote from: yourlife on  7 August 2010, 17:38 ---And hold on, who invented telecommunications? Oh yes, THE BRITISH, so why has AMERICA TAKING OVER ALL OF THE SUDDEN?

Admittedly the US did make the internet but we did make telecommunications and the telephone(?)

--- End quote ---

Wait a minute. The telephone was developed by Alexander Graham Bell, a Scottish man (assuming Scotland is part of the United Kingdom). He developed it in either Canada or the United States, however.

I do admit that British people developed the first electrical telegraph, but American(?) Samuel Morse improved it, according to the Wikipedia article on telecommunication.

I'm confused to the dates however. The article says through dates that Morse's variant came before the British electrical telegraph, which doesn't make sense because it's impossible to make an improvement of a final version application when the final version is not available to the public in any way.

EDIT:

--- Quote from: piratePenguin on  9 August 2010, 21:29 ---this - an internet killswitch, that's the worrying thing (I guess it's laws undermining net neutrality and supporting an internet killswitch

--- End quote ---

Yeah, and talking about an Internet kill switch, yourlife is probably not going to like this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version