Miscellaneous > Intellectual Property & Law

ICANN and the US

<< < (2/3) > >>

Refalm:
.gov is kind of an exception. For example, universities in other countries can request an .edu address.

yourlife:

--- Quote ---We were the first to start using the internet
--- End quote ---
All Americans Are Disqualified For Talking In This Post
)because this is the exact response I predicted would come from Americans)

piratePenguin:
In that case I'm from Ireland so I think I can reiterate Lead Heads legitimate input:

The US were the first to start using the internet or internet addresses so for compatibility purposes they got to keep their addresses. I don't know many of the facts as to how exactly this unfolded so I wouldn't assume it was for any other reason e.g. the US illustrating their domination upon the rest of the world.

If however it's to turn out their net neutrality idea is to go down that road e.g. the US pass it, then put pressure on the world to setup similar powers (as I believe has happened with e.g. drug probation), then I will personally be at war with them. Net neutrality should never be passed anyhow, but I don't understand or follow it much.

Lead Head:
I'm a bit confused by your comments on net neutrality. Net neutrality is the idea that ISP/Other Agencies cannot put restrictions on your internet browsing. What's so bad about that? ISP's would love to block certain websites from you, and make you pay extra to access them, perhaps for say high bandwidth sites like YouTube.

A Net Neutrality law would prevent ISPs from doing things like that.

piratePenguin:
Oh, I had a very mistaken view then (to these issues I have taken, clearly, a very bored ignorant attitude). I thought there was a relation between net neutrality and this - an internet killswitch, that's the worrying thing (I guess it's laws undermining net neutrality and supporting an internet killswitch, or any interference the US government can have that makes the internet more controlled like in China (the irony of it)).

related, hilarious: WIKILEAKS vs The Pentagon - Rap News

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version