Author Topic: Removing MS hidden files from Windows XP  (Read 524 times)

amanda07

• Kudos: 0
    • http://none
Removing MS hidden files from Windows XP
« on: 2 November 2002, 11:58 »
I was aghast when I read the article on all the hidden files that Microsoft creates and stores within various parts of Windows. There surely can't be a "good" reason for this. Unfortunately I couldn't get anywhere with the instructions in the article on deleting all these entries as the DOS commands don't seem to be recognised in Windows XP.
Can somebody please tell me how to delete all these hidden entries, registry keys etc that IE etc have been hiding away since I made the mistakes of a) buying Windows, and b) using Microsoft's Internet Explorer? Is there a glossary of DOS commands somewhere that works with XP?

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #1 on: 2 November 2002, 12:41 »
Sorry, your out of luck there. WinXP has abandoned DOS pretty much and comes bundled with plenty of DRM , TCPA, and Palladium, goodies which dwarf anything the previous hidden files stored.

Your best bet is to trade in WinXP for Linux. RedHat 8 has been getting rave reviews lately.

Linux is an OpenSource OS that is free for everyone to use, so there is no reason for SpyWare.

Others will probably comment similarly.

NOTE: This should have been posted in the "Microsft Hidden files" thread under ferured articles. I only make this a point, since that happens to be the longest thread in the forum, and boy if it ain't fun watching it grow  :D

[ November 02, 2002: Message edited by: psyjax v6.9 /Dave ]

Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
« Reply #2 on: 3 November 2002, 06:55 »
I must ask amanda, is DOS really ur OS of choice? (as it says in your profile)

Doctor V

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: 5 November 2002, 06:41 »
2 points of advice:

1.)  Ignore fett101.

2.)  Listen to psyjax v6.9 /Dave.  The truth is, if you want to use your computer without 3rd parties peeking at everything you are doing, and violating your freedom in several other dirty ways, you are just going to have to switch to a non Microsoft alternative.  Even if hidden files and such are not enough to motivate you to make such a change, future versions of windows certainly will.  What microsoft has planned for its future versions of windows is unbelieveable.  One alternative that is very easy, but also a bit expensive would be to get a mac.  Another that is a bit more difficult, but free would be Red Hat, Mandrak or SuSe Linux.

V

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
« Reply #4 on: 5 November 2002, 10:49 »
1) I was asking a simple question.

2) Wow. I've got a rating. How spiffy  

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #5 on: 5 November 2002, 16:17 »
yeah, i'd like to know the answer to that question too!
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #6 on: 5 November 2002, 23:07 »
Amanda... it's all about Red Hat 8.
Go the fuck ~