Author Topic: My friends are lamers  (Read 1540 times)

Chooco

• Kudos: 0
My friends are lamers
« Reply #30 on: 7 June 2002, 14:29 »
quote:
I've noticed that BSD feels more 'solid' than Linux. Linux feels like it was slopped together by a bunch of guys who didn't know each other and didn't communicate about bugs and probable issues.
BSD feels more solid, feels like everything is integrated all in one tight core. Maybe that's because the *BSD development teams are usually one centralized group who have to approve everything before it hits the final releases.

If I was using an x86, I'd prefer BSD for my kernel, though Linux is increasingly popular on the desktop. I'll have to wait and see if Linux becomes a little bit more tightly integrated and solid before I try to pick it up again.

fascinating, i would really like to try BSD, i really would. but i'm too concerned about compatibility...... you know how you download apache and it says "other_linux" can that work on FreeBSD? for the Half-Life Dedicated Server for Linux, does that work on FreeBSD?
the dedicated server comes as a .bin file then once you agree to some conditions it turns into a tar.gz file which does not have a "make" to it, you just type 'tar zxvf hlds*.gz' and it makes the folder.....will that work on FreeBSD?

iustitia

My friends are lamers
« Reply #31 on: 11 June 2002, 07:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ctrl Alt Del 123:
who do you go crying to when yours breaks down and you can't do your English report?"

Speaking of English:

I'm not one to bragg, but if you wanted to show how much of a "nerd" aka enlightened person you really are, you would say "To whom do you go crying when yours breaks down and you can't  do your English report?"  Start saying things like that and your reputation for a nerd will increase exponentially.  

p.s. I'm good w/ grammer, but don't flame me because I can't spell.
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have found the trillionth easily preventable bug in a Microsoft OS.  You have just won the privlage of being frustrated with an over priced, unreliable OS that makes you conform to its standards.  How does that make you feel?

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
My friends are lamers
« Reply #32 on: 11 June 2002, 07:24 »
Actually, I prefer "Q: Who ya gonna call when your computer blue screens on ya after you've spent all fuckin' day typin' that English report without savin' it? A: 1-800-WAAAAAA".

[ June 10, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
My friends are lamers
« Reply #33 on: 11 June 2002, 08:50 »
yeah, i get sick of answer questions like,

"does it support networking"

"can i play quake 3 on it"

"i love unreal for the mac can i play unreal on linux"

"i heard linux was only for webservers"

and last but not least

"what about kazaa, is there something like it"

well, needless to say, most people who have seen my setup of kde3 almost shat there pants and said, that it was eiser then windows, also one of my friends is switching to linux on atleast one of his computers becuase it is easyer to install and he needs to try it, YES you heard me make this herectical claim that linux is easyer to install then windows, but most who try to refute me have never had to install the son of a bitch themselves, it came on there computer o well
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

Chooco

My friends are lamers
« Reply #34 on: 11 June 2002, 12:28 »
the only problem with Linux is that shit installs just TERRIBLE. remember with Windows 3.1 how you would install a program by just putting all the stuff in a folder then running it? to take it out just delete the folder? well Linux is like that but totaly f***ed. i installed Pure-FTP server today and it has these problems:
-it makes the same named config in about 3 different folders
-it doesn't have its own directory
-it never told me where the bulk of the crap was installed to

if i wanted to get rid of that FTP server i would be f***ed because there is no list of files, there is no program to uninstall it and there is no single folder that it is in.....they should serious stop being retarted with making Linux programs all sucky like that. good programs are ones that simply take 1 folder and that is all with exception to putting an executable in a bin folder somewhere. just delete that one folder and the program is gone and you can forget about it. examples of good programs would be: Apache, Mozilla, Opera, HLDS_l

[ June 11, 2002: Message edited by: Chooco ]

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
My friends are lamers
« Reply #35 on: 11 June 2002, 13:36 »
quote:
Originally posted by Chooco:
the only problem with Linux is that shit installs just TERRIBLE.
no it doesn't    
quote:
remember with Windows 3.1 how you would install a program by just putting all the stuff in a folder then running it? to take it out just delete the folder? well Linux is like that but totaly f***ed.
it's nothing like that, the mac is a bit like that, but not fucked, sorry.    
quote:
i installed Pure-FTP server today and it has these problems:
-it makes the same named config in about 3 different folders
oh call mummy i don't think i can cope

quote:
-it doesn't have its own directory
good job you were wearing your brown trousers then, eh?

quote:
-it never told me where the bulk of the crap was installed to

did you ask it? and why are you installing it if it's crap, plus, dumbfuck, you make the completely obvious mistake that many closedminded people make in complaining that one shitty application proves that the entire operating system is shit, get a life, think about what you are saying! what if i installed "ShitFTP for windows" and it fucks up my registry so badly that i waste several days reinstalling and lose some data in the process? Actually that is the fault of the shitty operating system, but since linux can't be fucked up that way, we'll never be able to make a true comparison...

quote:
if i wanted to get rid of that FTP server i would be f***ed because there is no list of files,
yes there is    
quote:
there is no program to uninstall it
there's one installed on your computer right now that will do the job, i suspect    
quote:
and there is no single folder that it is in.....
oh dear, better go back to good old windows 3.1 then...    
quote:
they should serious stop being retarted with making Linux programs all sucky like that.
that sentence speaks for itself.    
quote:
good programs are ones that simply take 1 folder and that is all with exception to putting an executable in a bin folder somewhere.
actually good programs are ones that have been written well, what are you fucking talking about?    
quote:
just delete that one folder and the program is gone and you can forget about it.
right, thanks for the hint...    
quote:
examples of good programs would be: Apache, Mozilla, Opera, HLDS_l

whatever. I suggest you either ask questions instead of bitching about it, or fuck off back to being a DOS h4xx0r. All that shit about 'i can't find my files boo hoo' and all that piss could be easily answered if you'd only ask. I really don't feel like making the effort now that you have just whined and bitched. Maybe somebody else can be arsed though... good luck.

[ June 11, 2002: Message edited by: Calum ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
My friends are lamers
« Reply #36 on: 11 June 2002, 13:40 »
did i just read that, jesus, there is better documentation under unix then there is under windows,
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

scottmso

My friends are lamers
« Reply #37 on: 28 June 2002, 01:06 »
My friends:
"The Mac is not user-friendly. Windows is."
"Windows 95 never crashes."
"The number of people using Windows says it all - Windows is better."

cocoamix

My friends are lamers
« Reply #38 on: 28 June 2002, 01:30 »
Honestly, if not for OS X I would have left Mac around 1999. Mac Classic, while a great GUI had serious reliability problems. Now with OS X finally here are with Jaguar on the horizon, and guys like Jordan Hubbard from FreeBSD on board at Apple, I'm glad I didn't switch to Windoze, unfortunately, I still use a Win98 (urg) box at work because the scientific software I use doesn't run on Win NT/2000/XP, much less Linux or Mac.

Windows has only crashed on me three times today. Yay.

scottmso

My friends are lamers
« Reply #39 on: 4 July 2002, 06:33 »
Another quote from a friend that claims that Windows is so much better than anything else:
"Registry? Is that the thing that you send in to register your copy of software?"

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
My friends are lamers
« Reply #40 on: 4 July 2002, 21:38 »
Your friends are lamers? So are mine. Lets make actually DO something about it.

Edit: This was my 100th post of utter nonsence and bad spelling. Hoorah.

[ July 04, 2002: Message edited by: TheQuirk ]

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
My friends are lamers
« Reply #41 on: 4 July 2002, 10:09 »
Ahem -- I would like to present this little gem I had right after answering this topic:

(17:58:07) The Quirk 123: http://www.apple.com/xserve/
(17:58:09) The Quirk 123: drool
(17:58:16) The Quirk 123: did i send you that link a few weeks ago?
(17:58:26) xxx: i dun think so
(17:58:58) xxx: sweet
(17:59:28) xxx: shame its a mac
(17:59:33) The Quirk 123: what?
(17:59:40) The Quirk 123: macs are great
(17:59:47) xxx: macs are the devil
(17:59:50) The Quirk 123: and if you think otherwise, you're a fool.
(17:59:51) The Quirk 123: and why?
(18:00:02) xxx: they're too user-friendly!
(18:00:28) The Quirk 123: you must be stupid.
(18:00:42) xxx: youve just noticed?
(18:00:52) The Quirk 123: hilarious
(18:00:56) The Quirk 123: why do you hate macs?
(18:01:08) xxx: theyre too user friendly.
(18:01:13) The Quirk 123: why is that bad?
(18:01:22) The Quirk 123: they are more customizable then windows
(18:01:30) The Quirk 123: and darwin is open sourced
(18:01:35) The Quirk 123: it's based on mach 3.0
(18:01:52) xxx: even os2 warp is better than mac!
(18:01:58) xxx logged out.

I have very long conversations with another guy who claims windows is superior to everything else. All the time. Every day.

HPC GUY

• Kudos: 101
My friends are lamers
« Reply #42 on: 4 July 2002, 22:05 »
Mac Hater is probably steve Jobs  :D
"if i destroyed you, i would only be perpetuating your legacy" - Me

HPC GUY

• Kudos: 101
My friends are lamers
« Reply #43 on: 7 July 2002, 00:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by VoidMain:
What's a cray... ROFLMAO!

[ June 03, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

hey buddy, not all of us here are hard core egg heads, or what you would so call "Elite".
"if i destroyed you, i would only be perpetuating your legacy" - Me