Author Topic: IP Renew problem - example of Microsoft Incompetence  (Read 548 times)

aregal

• Kudos: 0
    • http://Google
One of the PCs on my home network suddenly starting picking up one of those crazy "169.xxx.xxx.xxx" IP addresses, even though my router address starts with "192.xxx.xxx.xxx".

I tried all the usual remedies on XP, including recreating the connection, running the network-wizard, replacing the NIC. Nothing worked.

Started checking forums and found the Microsoft Support solution of deleting WINSOCK entries in the Registry and resetting TCP/IP using "netsh". Of course, nothing.

I don't like running utilities that supposedly "fix" the registry but having spent hours and hours    on the problem I finally downloaded WINSOCKFIX. Hey presto it worked! (I'm sending them a contribution).

Question: why couldn't the incompetent f**kers in Redmond (in my opinion) write such a utility? Of course, a better question is what kind of morons design an OS that allows it's core TCP/IP files to be overwritten?

Thankyou "Microsuck" for having this forum. I love you!

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
IP Renew problem - example of Microsoft Incompetence
« Reply #1 on: 4 July 2004, 18:54 »
Have you tried to insert your UTP cable correctly?  :D
And btw, no one is able to hack you if you show your internal network addresses. If you show us the rest of 169.*, it will be very helpful.

Welcome to our forum anyway, but please don't ask anymore questions about Windows, because we actually want to to switch to something like Linux ( ) or Mac OS X ( )  ;)

Werre

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: 7 July 2004, 12:30 »
The 169.-address means winshit's dhcp client was unable to contact the dhcp server.
"Hate" is too weak a word when it comes to Winshit.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #3 on: 7 July 2004, 20:21 »
quote:
Werre: The 169.-address means winshit's dhcp client was unable to contact the dhcp server.

It could also mean that there isn't a cable connected  

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #4 on: 7 July 2004, 23:20 »
Know what's funny?  The actual 169 IP block (the 169.139 actually) is owned by my school district.  :D
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez