Author Topic: WFP Works Great  (Read 597 times)

anphanax

• Kudos: 11
    • http://june.tripod.com
WFP Works Great
« on: 15 January 2004, 00:13 »
Windows File Protection works great. It works so great infact, that when installing a network printer, it allowed my XP version of MSVCRT.DLL to be written over by a 9x version. Now Windows won't boot and I have to go into recovery console and hope I can find a copy of MSVCRT on the CD.

Error Message:
lsass.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point _resetstkoflw could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll.
"_resetstkoflw"???

I can't delete hh.exe, I can't seem to get certian programs to stay out of the RUN key in the LOCAL_MACHINE registry, and if I write over notepad with another app, Windows freaks out, yet I can kill a file that windows components depend on without any apparent problems or notifications.

If you want to screw over a winbox I guess all you have to do is code a quick program to write over msvcrt.dll with another dll and then call a shutdown API. Nice.

Lessons to be learned:
*Lexmark printer installations don't work between 9X/ME and NT/XP systems when trying to share over network.
*If your XP computer goes down, you'll be stuck on your families 98 box that uses Microsoft Internet Explorer. (I'm not going anywhere near the Windows ME machine in this house)
*Always have a backup of MSVCRT, and don't trust Windows "System Restore" to make everything better.

FINAL NOTE:
I noticed windows updated last night. It might not be the printer driver, instead, windows update may have screwed up my computer. Don't know, don't care. I just want it to work again   .

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
WFP Works Great
« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2004, 00:23 »
Get a bootdisk here, start it, type FDISK, type 3, now delete all partitions and install Linux.

Haven't done got Linux yet? Download ISO's here:
n00b Linux
i-know-stuff-about-computers-but-not-about-linux Linux
i-know-Linux Linux

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
WFP Works Great
« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2004, 00:44 »
This is an anti-MS site.
Try www.winbbs.com

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
WFP Works Great
« Reply #3 on: 15 January 2004, 01:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by Fett101:
This is an anti-MS site.
Try www.winbbs.com

Ahem, his story IS anti-MS.  ;)
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
WFP Works Great
« Reply #4 on: 15 January 2004, 01:16 »
quote:
Originally posted by Refalm:
Haven't done got Linux yet? Download ISO's here:
n00b Linux
i-know-stuff-about-computers-but-not-about-linux Linux
i-know-Linux Linux

Interesting...that means I should have Fedora...but I've been running Slackware.  Sound don't work, internet is f*cked up.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
WFP Works Great
« Reply #5 on: 15 January 2004, 05:18 »
quote:
Originally posted by anphanax:
Windows File Protection works great. It works so great infact, that when installing a network printer, it allowed my XP version of MSVCRT.DLL to be written over by a 9x version. Now Windows won't boot and I have to go into recovery console and hope I can find a copy of MSVCRT on the CD.

Error Message:
lsass.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point _resetstkoflw could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll.
"_resetstkoflw"???

I can't delete hh.exe, I can't seem to get certian programs to stay out of the RUN key in the LOCAL_MACHINE registry, and if I write over notepad with another app, Windows freaks out, yet I can kill a file that windows components depend on without any apparent problems or notifications.

If you want to screw over a winbox I guess all you have to do is code a quick program to write over msvcrt.dll with another dll and then call a shutdown API. Nice.

Lessons to be learned:
*Lexmark printer installations don't work between 9X/ME and NT/XP systems when trying to share over network.
*If your XP computer goes down, you'll be stuck on your families 98 box that uses Microsoft Internet Explorer. (I'm not going anywhere near the Windows ME machine in this house)
*Always have a backup of MSVCRT, and don't trust Windows "System Restore" to make everything better.

FINAL NOTE:
I noticed windows updated last night. It might not be the printer driver, instead, windows update may have screwed up my computer. Don't know, don't care. I just want it to work again    .

Looks like a good old reinstall, but id suggest you give Linux a try.

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
WFP Works Great
« Reply #6 on: 15 January 2004, 23:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by WMD:

Ahem, his story IS anti-MS.   ;)  

He is telling a anti-MS story, but he's asking for help on how to fix it.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
WFP Works Great
« Reply #7 on: 16 January 2004, 01:32 »
THEN THE DAY IS MINE!
Go the fuck ~

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org