Author Topic: How to secure your Windows XP computers  (Read 1406 times)

anphanax

• Kudos: 11
    • http://june.tripod.com
How to secure your Windows XP computers
« on: 13 September 2003, 02:12 »
Well, i'm here to write another exciting article regarding the security of Microsoft Windows XP! As you'll notice, since the beginning of NT, there have been security policies included as an attempt to prevent the user from accessing and changing settings, files, etc in which they aren't supposed to. Think your Windows XP Pro box with your fancy CTRL+ALT+DEL login is safe and protects your computer? Well, i'm sorry, but it doesn't..

If your login freezes up, simply hold SHIFT down about 9 seconds until a FilterKeys dialog (hidden at the time) will pop-up followed by a wierd noise.. About 2 minutes later, you'll be logged in as SYSTEM with SYSTEM rights temporarily.. This is a great time to open up cmd.exe, run regedit.exe, delete microsoft office executables, or have fun performing other anti-social acts that will piss off administrators.

I will admit it's improved since 98. Back in 98, you could just hit the 'ESC' key to get around the login on normal security configurations, login, have all the policy restrictions removed... logon, and quickly go to the start menu while you still have your 'run' command showing and of course, run regedit.exe, or command.com. The main point is that XP Pro security is not seemless by any means, regardless of what microsoft says. I added in the 98 thing just for fun.

[ September 12, 2003: Message edited by: anphanax ]

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2003, 05:56 »
Sorry but there are much better ways of securing a computer running Windows XP. Format c: being one very efficient way, for example.

Doctor V

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2003, 07:51 »
Well thanks for the thouroughly fulfilling info.  Just what I always wanted to know, how to hack into windows while standing at the terminal.  Excuse me frattie, but the goal isn't to do things with windows that windows doesn't want us to do.  Just like xeen said, format the hard drive.  Then put a real OS on there.    

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2003, 08:50 »
Windoze sux

[ September 18, 2003: Message edited by: Refalm ]

Go the fuck ~

lonodnboi2k3

• http://none as yet
« Reply #4 on: 18 September 2003, 15:06 »
quote:
Jimmy James  :D  efender against Trolls  

Mate i dont mean to be rude as i like reading your posts, but i feel i must point out that the pictures you post are becomming quite iritating, could you not just link to them instead of making everyone look at them each time we read you posts.... Just a thought mate    :D      :D  

Also back to topic, altho i fully agree format c: is a very good way to secure your pc, i need to point out that you would still have the fat file system on the hard drive   :(  

Now what i would suggest would be, instead of formatting, just use FDISK, and delete the partition table..... Now your computer is very secure    ;)    :D    ;)

[ September 18, 2003: Message edited by: Londonboi2k3 ]

Viva La Mac

Doctor V

« Reply #5 on: 18 September 2003, 16:33 »
Doctor V likes the pics

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #6 on: 18 September 2003, 16:58 »
quote:
anphanax: Well, i'm here to write another exciting article regarding the security of Microsoft Windows XP!

How 'bout this one:

Code: [Select]

Enmity

« Reply #7 on: 18 September 2003, 18:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by Refalm:
Code: [Select]
[/b]

So...What does it do?
TCPA
DMCA
RIAA
LONGHORN

Mix'them together... What do you get?

A BIG FUCKING PILE OF STEAMING SHIT!!!

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #8 on: 18 September 2003, 23:36 »
considering the pics typically only show up in troll threads, and occasionally I post one of my smaller ones outside of those. I drop a few in the Lounge now and again.

Is a 320x240 image so bad? Come on, it's 320x240. It's 54k. It's not even 100KB.

Someone has to do something to liven up these forums which have been truly BORING ASS of late, especially for me. The Mac forum is pretty dead because nothing's happening, and everything else? Well, it's the same song over and over again.

Sorry for not being serious enough. Maybe I should just fucking leave
Go the fuck ~

lonodnboi2k3

• http://none as yet
« Reply #9 on: 19 September 2003, 00:26 »
quote:
considering the pics typically only show up in troll threads, and occasionally I post one of my smaller ones outside of those. I drop a few in the Lounge now and again.

Is a 320x240 image so bad? Come on, it's 320x240. It's 54k. It's not even 100KB.

Someone has to do something to liven up these forums which have been truly BORING ASS of late, especially for me. The Mac forum is pretty dead because nothing's happening, and everything else? Well, it's the same song over and over again.

Man, you really took that to heart   :eek:  

I was not having a pop at you in anyway, i was just stating my opionen, and maybe i did not word it correctly.

dont take things so serously, we are supposed to be able to have civilised conversations here and not think that when someone says something that they are having a pop at you!

Besides why would you leave when someone states an opionion!!!   :confused:  

Your pics are cool, but it is a bit anoying seeing the same picture in 10 diffrent threads in one morning! that is all i was getting at mate.

Besides dont leave cus of someting i have said, i find you comments very amusing when we have a troll attack  :D    :D    :D  

Peace man!!
Viva La Mac

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #10 on: 19 September 2003, 02:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy James :D efender against Trolls:

arrr. would be a shame to see ye abandon deck fore Pirates Day mate.

jasonlane

• http://www.root10.net
« Reply #11 on: 19 September 2003, 03:36 »
quote:

Sorry for not being serious enough. Maybe I should just fucking leave[/QB]

Arrr shiver me' timbers, Master James, a threat'n to abandon ship fer not being pensive enough. A pox to any man who dares to, Arrrr.

Yo ho, ho an a bottle o' rum. How to secure XP is it? That's easily done me harties, arrr. Get yer cabin boys to dig a blooming big pit, pile all yer M$ bootie into the blasted pit. 'n mark with a big, stinking, bloody X.

As safe as the grave.

Arrr, arr
The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #12 on: 19 September 2003, 08:45 »
AAAAAAARRRRRRRR!!!!

Me brilliant ruse is a blinkin' SUCCESS!! Now all of ye blackhearts think I'm mad, when I'm really plotting to overthrow ye all!

MAN THE CANNONS ME 'EARTIES!!!!!!!!
Go the fuck ~

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #13 on: 19 September 2003, 21:16 »
quote:
Enmity: So...What does it do?

It changes an Administrator password to anything your little heart can desire  ;)

jasonlane

• http://www.root10.net
« Reply #14 on: 20 September 2003, 04:46 »
Arrrrrrrr, as sound as a Spanish doubloon.
The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don