Author Topic: A few Questions about a couple things  (Read 1484 times)

Unforgiven1

• Kudos: 0
A few Questions about a couple things
« on: 8 August 2003, 07:52 »
I'm on Redhat 9

ok..I want 2 things.
1 to run opera.  When I download it, it tells me I need libXm.so.2 to install it.  Where do I get this file?  This is the RPM version...did I download the wrong one, or do I need to find the file somewhere else...what?

2. WINE.  I know it's a windows emulator, will it allow me to play games and stuff that were built for windows? (ie Morrowind, and Sea Dogs..good games made by a wretched company unfortunately.) Let's face it...Linux Native games aren't all that great.
 and is it worth having?
Microsoft is not the answer.
Microsoft is the question.
"No" is the answer!
The nice thing about Windows is - It does not just crash, it displays a dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first.

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
« Reply #1 on: 8 August 2003, 10:53 »
1. Try www.rpmfind.net for libXm.so.2

2. Wine Is Not an Emulator. (that's why it's W.I.N.E.) But you can look for WINE compatible games here.. Your best bet is to just dual boot with Wondows though.

Unforgiven1

« Reply #2 on: 8 August 2003, 23:51 »
uuh...is there a free version of wine for redhat 9?
"No" is the answer!
The nice thing about Windows is - It does not just crash, it displays a dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first.

slvadcjelli42

« Reply #3 on: 9 August 2003, 02:47 »
Wine is free, and there are a bunch of RPM's and stuff for it at sourceforge (more information on the wine website). If you want to play most modern games under Linux you will probably have to use WineX ( http://www.transgaming.com ), which is Wine with DirectX support (which ISN'T free   :(  ) Of course, sometimes you may come across certain... ah.. materials... while browsing the web...   ;)  
I definitely know it is possible to play Morrowind decently with WineX, although I have yet to get it working myself (my issue is a video card problem, though, so you'll probably be ok) Sea Dogs I've never played myself, but it would probably work too. WineX is especially a good tool if dual-boot with Windows isn't really an option (for example, when you get Linux preinstalled and so, dual-booting would require buying a copy of Windows [which I'm not about to do])

Unforgiven1

« Reply #4 on: 9 August 2003, 04:32 »
hmmm...ah materials..i'm good at obtaining those  
"No" is the answer!

kibawarior

• Kudos: 109
« Reply #5 on: 9 August 2003, 12:22 »
download wine for your distro at winehq.com
you must get rpm's install the package and find out where the config file is then config it

By the way I'm trying to make a good web page with that information for newbs like me like all the typical question this webpage gets
linux is wayyyyy cool
windows plain sucks

Faust

« Reply #6 on: 9 August 2003, 19:05 »
quote:

Let's face it...Linux Native games aren't all that great.

Gah!  UT2003, Quake 3, ET:RTCW, NWN?  Oh well I have wine too - I use it for half life mods and of course playing the "intro to Win XP" video that I was subjected to on reinstalling that POS.  I somehow find odd amusement in running a "our product is cool video" on something better...

WINE also runs fine.  Can be fiddly and annoying at first but if you dont wanna dual boot with Windows, it's an answer.  If you wanna run any directX stuff though WineX is more better.

quote:

By the way I'm trying to make a good web page with that information for newbs like me like all the typical question this webpage gets

Cool!  Me loves you know.  :D
But also maybe look at linuxquestions.org and the FAQ's, howtos etcetera they link to from there, so that you dont waste time "reinventing the wheel."  I still think it's a damn cool thing for someone to do this though, more FAQ's / howtos is always good.  
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

kibawarior

• Kudos: 109
« Reply #7 on: 9 August 2003, 20:53 »
thanks faust
Its almost ready just cant get those damn screenshots big enough. Thanks for the site i was really aiming for people who want to switch and are looking at it for the first time that site was ok but it is basically the same is this one.
linux is wayyyyy cool
windows plain sucks

Unforgiven1

« Reply #8 on: 9 August 2003, 21:04 »
I didn't know NWN and UT2003 were Linux native!  I'm going to buy those now...
"No" is the answer!

pasfr

« Reply #9 on: 14 September 2003, 15:13 »

That's really nice from Microshit
hihi
pasfr

Enmity

« Reply #10 on: 14 September 2003, 15:25 »
Just a note -
You can download Winex on the transgaming site by CVS. Its free but theres no support ( uhh like we would really need them )
TCPA
DMCA
RIAA
LONGHORN

Mix'them together... What do you get?

A BIG FUCKING PILE OF STEAMING SHIT!!!