Author Topic: why do some major computer co. support Microsoft  (Read 2131 times)

letre

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.emptyforce.com
why do some major computer co. support Microsoft
« on: 23 March 2002, 00:06 »
I think that computer manufacterers like to see their computers become as absolete as quickly as possible.  I remember once purchasing a Hercules Chrome video card and by the next windows release there was no longer any support.  The same thing happened to my expensive sharp scanner.
If you dont do the thinking, someone will gladly do it for you.

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
« Reply #1 on: 26 March 2002, 06:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by letre:
I think that computer manufacterers like to see their computers become as absolete as quickly as possible.  I remember once purchasing a Hercules Chrome video card and by the next windows release there was no longer any support.  The same thing happened to my expensive sharp scanner.

Well, reading this makes me even more happy to have a Mac. Although it
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2002, 13:13 »
disposable society.

you will see this phenomenon for as long as our society is a capitalist one. If things were built to last, public spending would go down, and the economy would recede.

that's what they tell us anyway  ;)  .
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #3 on: 26 March 2002, 22:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:
disposable society.

you will see this phenomenon for as long as our society is a capitalist one. If things were built to last, public spending would go down, and the economy would recede.

that's what they tell us anyway   ;)   .

That is an absolutely true statement.

Back when the 9-11 incident happend one of the first thing the government did was urge people to go buy stuff. I allways found it really funny how some public official would give some teary eyed heartfelt speach and then hed ask people to go spend money at the local mall.

It was such an obvious ploy, but people actually baught in to the BS.

But that's the way the system works, and it's a bit circular in it's reasoning concidering that even the hier ups are in it to make money to spend the money on things made by people that are in it to make money to spend money on things made by people wo are in it to ... .... ..  .etc.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Brent

• http://none
« Reply #4 on: 29 March 2002, 20:44 »
I dont even know why I am bothering to put a response on here.  It seems that the hard core Linux users are sort of like religious fundamentalists when it comes to their OS. Regardless of any proof to the contrary, their way is the only way.
The reason manufacturers put a MS OS on a new computer is very simple and easy to understand. If the AVERAGE computer purchaser took home a new system with any of the more than 1000 versions of Linux on it, can you imagion the total bewilderment when they tried to do even the simplest task? With any MS system since DOS, any old granny can sit down and get started with very little instruction and surf the net, play music, set up folders and files ect.  MS does their thinking for them? of course!!!  Thats what people want for gods sake!  The average user doesnt want to compile a new kernel, fart around for an hour to set up a folder (not having any idea how to do it even after trying to follow the directions in the USUALLY inadaquate manual}  I have nothing at all against Linux.  Hopefully, someday it will evolve into a OS that can be used by anyone on a desktop.  There seems to be a school of thought amoung the present gurus that it should remain as it is.  Why, is beyond me.  The reason why Microsoft is so successfull is because they give the average user what they want! A simple, easy to use, attractive OS that is fun to use and can do anything the average person wants.
I have had windows XP running day after day since installing it 6 months ago and have never had it crash yet.  What are you experts doing that makes it crash all the time?  Wierd!!  I also use Mandrake 8.1 when I want to simply fool around and try to make things work.  I cant help but wonder.... does anyone ever do anything with Linux besides configure, tweak and compile?  At this stage, any linux system is pretty much unusable out of the box for the average person, and without a lot of studying and perserverence will remain so.
What the hell do some of you people hate so much about nice graphics??  Do you prefer your partner in life to be ugly too?  I suspect that it is the lack of eye candy in linux that is the problem and the inability to admit that things could be improved. If yours is not as good as mine, put down mine. Strange phylosophy.....
Bottom line.. Who the hell cares who makes what as long as it suits the purpose?  Windows expensive? Yup! You bet!!  So is a BMW! Nothing in this life is free. The old addage you get what you pay for is true with operating systems as it is with anything else. The response to this is most likely going to be. "If you dont understand and learn linux, you are a moron"  To some of the more radical "fundamentalists" on here, I can only say "get a life"  using an OS is not a religious experience for most.  If playing with linux is your hobby, great!  I really hope some day that it does evolve into "everyones OS" Until then, it is more an operators/operations sytem.
Maybe I dont belong on a thread like this, but I just thought I would express the opinion of an AVERAGE computer user. Linux has its good points. Microsoft has its good points.  And really, the general public doesnt care!! They simply want to use their computers and microsoft, as much as you may hate them, make it possible. OK...OK... im a moron... Proud of it!!!

iancom

« Reply #5 on: 29 March 2002, 21:04 »
Hmmmmmmmm.... flame bait......

I'm only going to comment on one part of that.

quote:
 It seems that the hard core Linux users are sort of like religious fundamentalists when it comes to their OS. Regardless of any proof to the contrary, their way is the only way.

No. What we object to is exactly this kind of attitude from Microsoft. The MS way is the only way.

Open source is about choice. There are many ways to do things, and so there should be. Linux, BSD, Mac, even Microsoft. There should be the choice of what you want to use, what works for you.

Microsoft are limiting this choice for everyone. Why are there very few PC's sold without Windows or with an alternative OS loaded? Because MS make it *very* difficult for OEM's to do this.

We're not saying everyone *must* use Linux. We're not even saying everyone must not use Windows.

We're saying everyone must have the choice of what to use on their PC's.

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #6 on: 29 March 2002, 21:19 »
Avarege User:

I honestly don't know who you are adressing your post to.

Read the "Dispersing the Linux Lies."

The issues you have mentioned have been discused before, and conclusions have been reached. You may find that thread interesting.

Most people here are not concerned with preaching an OS to you but rather in dispersing the myth that M$ is the only choice. People here hate M$ because the fact is they don't make a better product, and use preditory monoploistic tactics to enjoy the position of power they have.

Forthermore, using an M$ product gives them more money to destroy Linux, something you hope will get better. M$ is on the warpath to destroy Linux the GPL and Open source.

Linux is not the best OS in the world, but nither is M$. People here want everyone to have a choice.

If you wan't an OS your granny can realy use and still maintain power and flexibility try OS X    :D   . (shameless plug).

[ March 29, 2002: Message edited by: psyjax ]

Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Brent

« Reply #7 on: 29 March 2002, 22:27 »
The topic is "why do major manufacturers support microsoft?" I tried in my layman way to answer that. I am all for Linux evolving into everyones OS. I really believe that when it does, the manufactures would install, regardless of what microsoft attempts to force them to do.  All manufacturers are interested in is the bottom line.  Right now, Microsoft MS's contribute to that bottom line. I would be willing to help in any way that I can to see linux improve and I think that the linux community being able to take constructive critisism would be a start. If this is "flame material" go ahead and flame me. I am only expressing the opinion of the masses and its the masses that are going to make or break MS or linux.  People want the stuff that MS is feeding them.  People dont want to load a cd player compiled by Fred of Fresno!  I certainly appreciate someones ability to develope it, but the masses love Windows media player and Real player!  I AM CERTAINLY NOT ANTI LINUX!!

Brent

« Reply #8 on: 29 March 2002, 22:38 »
Just one more comment.  I would suspect the people who purchase name brand computers, on the whole, are not really up on operating systems and other peripherals.  Its the folks who build their own systems and know a bit about computers that tend to play around with different OS's. The OEM's are forced at this time, to supply the public with a system that is usable with a bare minumum of computer knowledge.  End of story

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #9 on: 29 March 2002, 23:29 »
quote:
I cant help but wonder.... does anyone ever do anything with Linux besides configure, tweak and compile? At this stage, any linux system is pretty much unusable out of the box for the average person, and without a lot of studying and perserverence will remain so.

This is just so much FUD. Up until last November, I ran Win 95 exclusively for over five years. I didn't really give a rat's ass for Linux. That was, until I considered upgrading the old Dell OptiPlex GSa I'd been using. I thought I'd simply do as everyone else: get a new system with XP on it. Until I learned all about WPA. I found this to be absolutely unacceptable to me. So I looked into Linux, and decided on Mandrake 8.1. Far from finding it "unuseable" I found the KDE desktop to be even easier to navigate than that of Win 95. It took me all of five minutes to figure it out. Can I go to the command line? Of course, and I do for quite a few things. However, I have yet to find anything that I can't do from the desktop. Mandrake, using the default install, first on the old Dell, and later on the new system, worked perfectly right out of the box. I've done far more tweaking to get Win 95 running right.

quote:
What the hell do some of you people hate so much about nice graphics?? Do you prefer your partner in life to be ugly too? I suspect that it is the lack of eye candy in linux that is the problem and the inability to admit that things could be improved. If yours is not as good as mine, put down mine.

I have nothing against nice graphics. And I find that KDE provides some very nice graphics indeed. Does Win XP provide nice graphics? Last December, while doing some Christmas shopping, I spent quite awhile playing around with an XP demo rig. Fisher-Price-esque is how I would describe it. Not 10 minutes later, I saw a toy computer called "My First PC", for ages five and under; the screen shot on the front of the package bore a stricking resemblance to the XP desktop. I am not five years old, and I quite frankly resent the implicit insult to my intelligence that is the XP desktop. Furthermore, all that "eye candy" carries its price: it's resource intensive. I'd rather use a "plain-Jane" GUI and save the CPU resources for getting real work done.
quote:
not having any idea how to do it even after trying to follow the directions in the USUALLY inadaquate manual

Never have I seen such a rediculous bit of FUD. When I was completely new to Linux, I sprung for the Mandrake boxed set, even though I could've gone to Linux Central and saved $30.00. I bought it for the documentation. The documentation is by far vastly superior to anything I ever got from M$. I had to figure out 90% of what I know about using Win 95 by trial and error. The help system was of no help, the documentation absolutely SUCKED. There is hardly a day that I don't see these ads for the Video Professor hawking these CDs for learning Windows. And these ads run on programs that appeal to intelligent viewers. Why does he do it? Because M$ hasn't done it. So far as I'm concerned, everyone who orders the Video Professor's course should send their bills straight to Redmond c/o Bill Gates.

Now let's talk about that new system I wanted. The best system for my needs and budget was the Micron Millenia Extreme. Unlike "store-bought" units, Micron builds these systems when you place your order. When I contacted them, what were my choices: Win XP, Win 98SE, Win ME (WHUDDA DEAL   :eek:  ). Could I order one without software? They wouldn't do that. How about I mail them the Mandrake install CDs and let them load Mandrake? They wouldn't do that either. If I wanted this system, I had to take my choice of M$ software - none of which I wanted. That SUCKS! I, the paying customer, was denied what I wanted, was forced to buy what I never wanted, had no intention of keeping - and this from an OEM that builds systems to order! His Gatesness has Micron and a lot of other OEMs by the balls and you can't get what you want. That's why I am so anti-M$, why I am here.