Author Topic: MandrakeSoft Declares Bankruptcy  (Read 1166 times)

Agent007

• Kudos: 0
MandrakeSoft Declares Bankruptcy
« on: 16 January 2003, 22:15 »
By Timothy R. Butler
Editor-in-Chief, Open for Business
January 15, 2003, 12:48:44 EST

Linux Distributions
MandrakeSoft, the developer of the popular Mandrake Linux distribution, declared bankruptcy in France today. The filling, which the company says is "similar to the U.S. Chapter 11-Reorganization," is hoped to help the company escape the financial issues that have plagued the company over the past few years.

Editor's Note: Several people have suggested that this article gives the impression that MandrakeSoft has gone out of business. This is definitely not the case. The company is hoping to use these proceedings to escape various debts so that it can continue operations.

This announcement seems to be the culmination of rumors over the past few days about the future of MandrakeSoft. Earlier this week various media outlets reported that an internal memo from Chairman and former CEO Jacques Le Marois, that discussed an upcoming bankruptcy filling, was circulating. As late as yesterday, company co-founder Ga
AMD Athlon processor
256MB SDRAM
Linux Distro - RedHat 9.0

dot.this

« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2003, 23:33 »
I wonder what went wrong. Companies like SuSE, Caldera, and Lycoris are doing just fine (I think). I've heard people rave about how good Mandrake is, and it's a well-known distro. It's just strange that they're bankrupt. Perhaps there are financial irregularities, or the management paid themselves exorbitant salaries...
This APT has Super Cow Powers.

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2003, 23:51 »
Uh, Caldera had some very big financial issues. It had to close down a lot of offices and lay off a lot of employees. Don't know about SuSe or Lycoris, though.

pkd_lives

« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2003, 00:28 »
SuSE made some big layoffs in the States last year (although they are expanding again in the states, and hope to employ more people).

It's simple the bean counters were given control at Mandrake, as a result it became pure profit driven instead of the slow and steady path that would have had them in a better positon today. Of course this is my opinion, after perusing various documents put up on their site.
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

preacher

• VIP
  • Kudos: 107
    • http://kansascity.cjb.net
« Reply #4 on: 17 January 2003, 00:59 »
Its too bad about this. Mandrake really is a good distribution of linux, and even better in some ways than red hat. I think the main problem is their focus on the desktop. Red Hat and SuSe are foucusing on the server market and the enterprise and that is where you can find the real profits. The desktop market in linux just can't fight with microsoft yet.
Kansas City Hustle
http://kansascity.cjb.net

UODU

« Reply #5 on: 17 January 2003, 01:53 »
G'day guys,

I have made I think a relevant supporting post under my 'Mandrake Linux 9.0 on my Laptop?' Post

Regards
Braindead

emh

« Reply #6 on: 17 January 2003, 05:11 »
I wouldn't worry too much about it.  What Mandrakesoft is experiencing is actually a short-term cash flow problem, and they state that their prospects for future profits are actually very good.  At least from what I understand, this isn't a filing for bankruptcy, it's just a way to get an extension on some short-term financial difficulties.

dot.this

« Reply #7 on: 17 January 2003, 07:19 »
There are different kinds of bankruptcy. The laws are a little different in France, but the principle is the same. This isn't the "sell everything and close the doors" bankruptcy. It's the "restructure our debt so we have some cashflow again" kind of bankruptcy. The same kind that K-Mart is in.

BTW, the bosses always say the future is rosy. It helps prop up the stock price.
This APT has Super Cow Powers.

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
« Reply #8 on: 17 January 2003, 07:42 »
dun dun dun, and another one cooks the books, and another one cooks the books.....
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!