Author Topic: Dissapearing LILO  (Read 465 times)

Agent007

• Kudos: 0
Dissapearing LILO
« on: 2 September 2002, 22:44 »
After installing LILO (on MBR) on a system with Windows installed, it seems to dissapear totally after a few days and Windows loads automatically. Note that the MBR is NOT cleared on purpose and Windows is not installed after Linux. Has anyone come across this problem? Why does LILO get uninstalled automatically? Also, how can LILO be re-installed on the MBR or on the first sector of the HDD without going through the setup process again?

Thanks,
AMD Athlon processor
256MB SDRAM
Linux Distro - RedHat 9.0

RudeCat7

• Kudos: 109
Dissapearing LILO
« Reply #1 on: 3 September 2002, 07:48 »
Are you running anti-virus?

These programs like to "fix" your MBR when they scan your system.

That's why it's a good idea to write your LILO configuration to a floppy. The SuSe distro let's you  do a rescue boot so you can rewrite the LILO record to the MBR again.
*meow!* I didn't say Linux was easier, I said it was better, Dumbass!

Agent007

• Kudos: 0
Dissapearing LILO
« Reply #2 on: 3 September 2002, 16:16 »
hi,

Which antivirus? Is it the one in windows or bios? Btw,mcafee didnt notify that its gonna fix the MBR
Thanks
AMD Athlon processor
256MB SDRAM
Linux Distro - RedHat 9.0

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
Dissapearing LILO
« Reply #3 on: 3 September 2002, 16:44 »
The problem is that the boot sectors in LILO contain a byte sequence similar to boot sector viruses. If you used a virus scanner it most propably claimed to have detected the AIRCOP boot sector virus in files such as /boot/chain.b etc. If you didn't make a boot floppy during your Linux installation, you're in trouble, since LILO is not written in the MBR of your hard drive any more.

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
Dissapearing LILO
« Reply #4 on: 3 September 2002, 17:23 »
Norton Antivirus, is good with Linux. After you install it asks you whether the change to the MBR was authorised or not. If you say it was then it leaves it aone and update it's 'safe MBR' image.
Contains scenes of mild peril.

RudeCat7

• Kudos: 109
Dissapearing LILO
« Reply #5 on: 4 September 2002, 06:36 »
McAfee is deadlyyyyy!!!!!It will reach the deepest corners of your Windows MBR and if you do something weird without disabling McAfee, look out!

Norton is safer and Linux friendly, doesn't work on Linux though.........

.......................are you thinking?

....................LOL!!!!!  :D
*meow!* I didn't say Linux was easier, I said it was better, Dumbass!