Author Topic: 2 quick questions  (Read 393 times)

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
2 quick questions
« on: 11 January 2003, 00:26 »
First. I'm trying to get surround sound for my soundblaster 5.1 to work under mandrake. Searching forums and google hasn't given me anything yet.

2nd. Any application or anything that can make my logitech wireless duo more then a really expensive keyboard in Linux. (give the media keys and extra mouse button something to do)

pkd_lives

• Kudos: 0
2 quick questions
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2003, 00:58 »
Well as far as Creative go (and I assume it's  a live! card) then there is currently no support under Linux.

However you may add you voice or get support for it from others via their forum and developer sites, as linked to in this thread. Try the second post.

As for your Wireless Duo, it appears they were designed specifically for M$ Windows, to incorporate M$ Windows only functions (ie. they probably are tied to the M$ XP OS, and IE, thus making them single product only). Even the Mac capable versions seem to require IE to work properly.

In fact there product range seems to be aimed directly at IE users.

Logitech - Non-Windows OS

All of which suggests that Logitech are owned or invested in by M$, as most other companies offer far better support than this.
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
2 quick questions
« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2003, 01:16 »
quote:
Originally posted by fett101:
2nd. Any application or anything that can make my logitech wireless duo more then a really expensive keyboard in Linux. (give the media keys and extra mouse button something to do)
to give the media keys something to do... I'm not sure yet, because no one has the answer to my thread about the linux keymap.
But basically you need to run "showkeys" on the console, then hit the media keys and record they're number then edit the keymap to make them do something. I dont know how to edit the keymap yet.

[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: The Master of Reality / Bob ]

Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
2 quick questions
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2003, 01:23 »
Your soundcard is actually supported in Linux, just not 'officially' by Creative. It uses the emu10k1 module, soundcards using the emu10k1 chip are very well supported in linux and have been for a long while. To get the full surround sound features you need to install ALSA (I think). Google should tell you the answer to that.
ALSA is getting merged into kernel 2.6 anyway, so soundcard support should be less of an issue to Linux soon. ALSA's support is vast.

[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: Tux ]

Contains scenes of mild peril.

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
2 quick questions
« Reply #4 on: 11 January 2003, 23:12 »
xhkeys will use most of the fancy keys/*ihave3 to mod thexmod map to use the favorites keys, and ill makeem point ot linux apps*/
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
2 quick questions
« Reply #5 on: 11 January 2003, 23:15 »
if you have the mouse button setup right, programs will reconize it but won't do anything with it yet. im waiting for mozilla to work with the side buttons on my mouse/* it is pretty cool in quake though*/
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
2 quick questions
« Reply #6 on: 11 January 2003, 23:56 »
----------------