Author Topic: Why do you prefer *nix?  (Read 2723 times)

sway

• Kudos: 0
Why do you prefer *nix?
« on: 16 December 2001, 07:15 »
Look! my first topic, i am cool now. anyways.. my main reason i think *nix is 'leet' would be:

i'm not really into warez at all, so i like free software, that is one thing Windows doesn't offer very well, and MacOSX has a good amount of freeware, but not many of the original MacOS based applications are free.

[ December 16, 2001: Message edited by: sway ]

CommonSense

• VIP
    • http://www.microsuck.com
Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #1 on: 16 December 2001, 21:10 »
Small side note:  Mac OS X is UNIX.  Here's the uname -a output:

Darwin powerbook.fuckmicrosoft.com 5.1 Darwin Kernel Version 5.1: Tue Oct 30 00:06:34 PST 2001; root:xnu/xnu-201.5.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC  Power Macintosh powerpc

All the freely-downloadable open-source stuff available for other UNIXes work on here, too.  They may need minor patches to compile, but if you don't want to do that (or aren't qualified to, like me), chances are someone's already done it for you (like the Fink project).

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #2 on: 16 December 2001, 11:00 »
UNIX is a true multi-tasking system: it doesn't fake it like that other OS.

It's a true multi-user OS: every member of the family can share one 'puter without having someone foul up your files.

It doesn't treat you like an idiot, like that other OS.

Its apps are way cooler, and most of them are free.

It's much better suited to today's computing environment with greater security, not like that other OS that was created for one PC, one user, no networking.

Greater range in choice, not like that other OS where one version is distinguished from another mainly by the level of bloat.

It's not that other OS.
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

sway

Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #3 on: 16 December 2001, 12:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by The Webmaster:
Small side note:  Mac OS X is UNIX.  Here's the uname -a output:

Darwin powerbook.fuckmicrosoft.com 5.1 Darwin Kernel Version 5.1: Tue Oct 30 00:06:34 PST 2001; root:xnu/xnu-201.5.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC  Power Macintosh powerpc

All the freely-downloadable open-source stuff available for other UNIXes work on here, too.  They may need minor patches to compile, but if you don't want to do that (or aren't qualified to, like me), chances are someone's already done it for you (like the Fink project).

yes, i run MacOSX at the moment on my iMac, and i do know about fink (and love it almost as much as the QNX package manager)

maybe i should of just pointed out to the original MacOS based applications? not many of them are free :P

Foney

Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #4 on: 17 December 2001, 05:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by jtpenrod:

It's a true multi-user OS: every member of the family can share one 'puter without having someone foul up your files..

My windows 2000 box can do that

quote:
Originally posted by jtpenrod:It's much better suited to today's computing environment with greater security, not like that other OS that was created for one PC, one user, no networking.

Windows securty is is as good as the admin of the box, just like unix.

One user? One pc? no networking? What are you talking about?

<Zombie9920>

Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #5 on: 17 December 2001, 07:49 »
Windows and BeOS are true multi-tasking OSes also.

Sure, Win9x has memory leaks..but Win2K and XP don't. Windows NT actually has some *nix technology embedded into the Kernel. Windows NT is practically a user friendly variant of *nix with a decent GUI and mainstream hardware/software support. 90% of the people who bash Microsoft Windows has a low end computer that can't run Windows worth a damn, that is why they choose *nix. Hell, I have tried Mandrake and RedHat Linux and I think thier GUI is awful(hence why it is fast). If you pay attention to it you will notice that the GUI in those 2 OSes were inspired by Windows(they even have a little bar at the bottom of the screen that works like the Windows Taskbar/start menu). I'm not saying *nix isn't bad because it really isn't..but Windows isn't near as bad as the *nix geeks make it out to be. If Windows was so bad then why does it hold over 75% of the market? Windows had to be something to reach such a high stature in the market. People don't buy shit if it isn't worth a damn. Remember, Windows can do everything *nix can do and more.  

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #6 on: 17 December 2001, 08:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by <Zombie9920>:
If Windows was so bad then why does it hold over 75% of the market? Windows had to be something to reach such a high stature in the market. People don't buy shit if it isn't worth a damn. Remember, Windows can do everything *nix can do and more.          

Zombie, I have to say that you are full of shit on almost every count.  Why does windows hold 75% of the "desktop" market? 1) marketing, 2) questionable practices with hardware vendors.  Windows can only do a small percentage of what *NIX can do (without installing many many tools and apps not included with Windows).  And even with the POSIX utilities it doesn't remotely resemble UNIX.  Still has brain dead piping, redirection, process/job management. Hell, they don't even include a compiler, gotta pay extra for that!

And the GUIs (Window Managers) that you refer to are only a couple of many Window Managers included. People coming from the dark side might be a little more comfortable with the ones you mention but you have a choice.

[ December 16, 2001: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

<Zombie9920>

Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #7 on: 17 December 2001, 08:23 »
Windows holds about 90% of the desktop market. When you combine Desktops and servers then it holds about 75% of the whole market. In the regular server area more people use Linix over NT because of NTs outrageous licensing fee. In the high end server market(people with Itanium, SPARC, SUN, etc. machines) Unix is usually the OS of choice(Windows XP 64Bit is becoming a little popular, but it has a long way to go before it can overthrow Unix in the High End server market). The server/high end server combination is what throws Microsoft's total marketshare down by about 15%.

voidmain

• VIP
Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #8 on: 17 December 2001, 08:33 »
quote:
Windows holds about 90% of the desktop market. When you combine Desktops and servers then it holds about 75% of the whole market. In the regular server area more people use Linix over NT because of NTs outrageous licensing fee. In the high end server market(people with Itanium, SPARC, SUN, etc. machines) Unix is usually the OS of choice(Windows XP 64Bit is becoming a little popular, but it has a long way to go before it can overthrow Unix in the High End server market). The server/high end server combination is what throws Microsoft's total marketshare down by about 15%.

What the hell do you mean UNIX is the OS of choice for high end architectures? It's the ONLY choice! Microsoft pretty much only runs on x86 these days.

There *is* one OS that will run on nearly every architecture out there and that is Linux. It runs on PPC, x86, Alpha, Sparc, Motorola, etc. We even installed it on our IBM 390 mainframe.  If you want a 32 processor UltraSparc, you run Solaris, Windows can't run on it. If you want to run a V-Class HP system you run HP-UX, Windows can't run on it.  If you want an IBM RS/6000 you run AIX, Windows can't run on it. If you want SGI you run IRIX, Windows won't run on it. Furthermore, why the hell would anyone want to run Windows on one of those systems???

Linux runs on many of the architectures ranging from AXIS web cameras and palm devices all the way to mainframe platforms.

And you want to build the worlds fastest supercomputer?  Use Linux, even Big Blue has resigned to that fact: http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2083758,00.html

And I defy you to find Windows making a machine on this list hum: http://www.top500.org/list/2001/11/

And you just can't have this kind of fun with Windows: http://tux.anu.edu.au/Projects/Beowulf/

[ December 17, 2001: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

gump420

Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #9 on: 17 December 2001, 11:53 »
Hey, zombie. Yeah, I'm talking to you, dumbass. Windows has it's large marketshare because of something called a "monopoly". Or did you fail to realize that since you're obviously living in a box?

Yes, they have the highest market share. No way in hell do they have the best product. And they don't innovate, either; they buy their ideas from somebody else. They have never introduced a new idea to the market that wasn't bought, licensed, or simply stolen from somebody else.

Windows? True multi-tasking? Bull-fucking-shit. Oh, yeah, you can load more than one program at once, but WinNT will not handle, say, a thousand simultaneous web hits with the same grace that *NIX does (assuming, of course, WinNT doesn't crash under the pressure).

Oh, and that part about Windows NT being secure? WHAT PLANET DID YOU COME FROM YOU FUCKHEAD??? Windows does not compare in any way to the security of *NIX.

Oh, and multiuser? This goes back to the security thing. Microsoft sucks at security because they simply DO NOT understand the concept at any level.
I can't get over you until you get out from under him.

<Zombie9920>

Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #10 on: 17 December 2001, 12:06 »
Hmmm, you expect me to take the words of a name calling simpleton seriously? Whatever man.

BTW, I'm glad you mentioned OS security. Whether you like it or not, every OS has security faults.
Here is 1 of the dozens of security flaes that I can dig up for Linux.
http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/242750

If you are smart enough to comprehend what that page is saying and you want to see more Linux security flaws I will be more than happy to throw some more at you.  ;)

<Zombie9920>

Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #11 on: 17 December 2001, 12:08 »
Typo correction from last post... flaes = flaws.

<Zombie9920>

Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #12 on: 17 December 2001, 12:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by VoidMain:

What the hell do you mean UNIX is the OS of choice for high end architectures? It's the ONLY choice! Microsoft pretty much only runs on x86 these days.

There *is* one OS that will run on nearly every architecture out there and that is Linux. It runs on PPC, x86, Alpha, Sparc, Motorola, etc. We even installed it on our IBM 390 mainframe.  If you want a 32 processor UltraSparc, you run Solaris, Windows can't run on it. If you want to run a V-Class HP system you run HP-UX, Windows can't run on it.  If you want an IBM RS/6000 you run AIX, Windows can't run on it. If you want SGI you run IRIX, Windows won't run on it. Furthermore, why the hell would anyone want to run Windows on one of those systems???

Linux runs on many of the architectures ranging from AXIS web cameras and palm devices all the way to mainframe platforms.

And you want to build the worlds fastest supercomputer?  Use Linux, even Big Blue has resigned to that fact: http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2083758,00.html

And I defy you to find Windows making a machine on this list hum: http://www.top500.org/list/2001/11/

And you just can't have this kind of fun with Windows: http://tux.anu.edu.au/Projects/Beowulf/

Windows XP 64bit runs on most of the high end server machines you mentioned above, however you are correct about it not supporting 32 processors.

voidmain

• VIP
Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #13 on: 17 December 2001, 12:28 »
quote:

BTW, I'm glad you mentioned OS security. Whether you like it or not, every OS has security faults.
Here is 1 of the dozens of security flaes that I can dig up for Linux.
http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/242750

You are correct that every OS has security flaws and in order to stay secure one must stay up with all the CERT announcements and configure their system securely.  The particular one you cite is regarding a bug in WU-FTPD (not UNIX or Linux).  FTP on any system is inherently insecure because it uses clear text passwords (great sniffing fun) and although some Linux systems include WU-FTPD most good admins turn it off and use SSH/SCP when possible.  I believe you can even run WU-FTPD on Win*. I did have a couple of systems that were vulnerable but had them patched the *same* day that the announcement was made.  You are at the mercy of MS to get patches for their holes. Took MS long enough to even include an FTP Server, how long will it take them to implement SSH?

Now let's try one for Windows.  Most of the muckety-muck mid/upper level managers hold the Gartner Group in high regard for technology reviews.  I find this one extremely pleasing:
http://www3.gartner.com/DisplayDocument?doc_cd=101034
I've been having much fun converting companies from IIS to *NIX/Apache.

And another thing.  I have YET to get a virus in ANY flavor of *NIX.  That right there is the biggest security issue on earth if you ask me.  I love watching the NT shops scramble every time a new I-LOVE-YOU variant comes out!  Many laughs!

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #14 on: 17 December 2001, 12:37 »
quote:
My windows 2000 box can do that

This past summer, Steve Ballmer (yes, THAT Steve Ballmer) described in an interview how his household had two 'puters between himself, his wife, and kids. He admitted that, prior to getting Win XP, files were being screwed up by this sharing. This wouldn't have happened had he been using *NIX since each user would have had his or her own account, with their own passwords. According to Ballmer himself, no version of Windows prior to XP had this feature. Was he lying?

quote:
Windows securty is is as good as the admin of the box, just like unix.  

No *NIX has the vast array of exploits that Windows has: Outlook worms, macro virii that sneak in on Word documents, Excell spreadsheets, Powerpoint slides. Just last week, four Israeli script kiddies (ages 14 and 15) launched the Goner worm. Within a day, this thing had spread half-way around the world. The last *NIX worm that did that was the Morris worm back in the early 1980s. And Morris, himself, was no script kiddie.

quote:
One user? One pc? no networking? What are you talking about?  

Here is exactly what I'm talking about: UNIX was originally designed as an OS for mainframes. This meant multiple users. The UNIX file system incorporates "accounts" to keep one user from harming another's files. Users may be bundled together into "groups". Thus, every directory and file has three levels of permissions: User, group, and world. Each user sets his or her own level of permissions to determine who will, or will not, be allowed access to those files. The user also sets three other permissions: readable, writeable, and executable (nine total permissions). These file permissions may be overridden only by the superuser: noone else. This keeps all the system files protected and straight. MS-DOS, on the other hand, was intended as an op-sys for the first small computers, usually running Intel 8085s or Zilog Z-80s. With an eight bit word length, and 16 bit addressing, there was no way more than one person could use it at a time. Therefore, file permissions were not incorporated. In MS-DOS and Windows, *every* user is the superuser. Try this: go into Windows Explorer, click on the Windows folder, select some critical file (ending with .com, .sys, .dat) then click on "delete" and see what happens. If you let it, it *will* delete it. Hell, try deleting the entire Windows folder - it'll do that too. Try that on a Linux rig - or any other *NIX rig - and you'll get an access denied warning, and it won't do it. Only the superuser could do a thing like that (which is why you should avoid superuser status unless it's absolutely necessary AND you know what you're doing). File permissions didn't reappear until Win XP; and, of course, they're touting it as something grand and glorious.  :eek:  They are only putting back that which they took out 25 years ago.

This wasn't such a big deal until the Internet came along. Now *every* Windows rig that connects to the 'Net may not have just a single user, whether you know it or not. If some cracker gets in, he's *automatically* the superuser. He can get your rig to do his bidding with no trouble at all. That's why Windows rigs are so frequently involved in DDoS attacks, that's why Windows runs all that lovely spyware and adware. Download that "freebie" app and, without your knowledge, you're running a server that's serving up all your personal data. There is no such thing as Linux spyware. Why? Because, without root priveledge, the spyware app can't "phone home" without your knowing about it and specifically authorizing it to do so. If it were to attempt to change file permissions, you'd know about that too. And it's a damn fine line between spyware and a Trojan. Windows systems were *never* designed to network with other computers. Some 50000 WinViruses and still counting testifies to that with far more eloquence than I.
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?