Author Topic: Why do you prefer *nix?  (Read 2718 times)

Bazoukas

• Kudos: 140
    • http://whitehouse.com
Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #60 on: 14 October 2002, 21:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:
wow! i didn expect people to reply so strongly to zombie632718637128 posts so long after the fact! just wanted to let people see some of the gems that used to come up on this board all the time! makes me realise how many people never stuck around though, when i remember all those names....

We should hunt them down and kill them. Thats what I think.
Yeah

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #61 on: 14 October 2002, 21:53 »
quote:
it also features (if you go to page one) one of the, if not the, very first of the many celebrated altercations between void main and zombie64763248236478! void main characteristically tells him he is full of shit!

Ah the good old days... when I still had a little breath...
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #62 on: 14 October 2002, 14:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by Windows XP User #5225982375:

If you use your computer basically as a glorified gaming console, or you simply have no problems with Windows and don't care about other OS's, then I'd say there is no compelling reason to use *nix.  Use *nix if you're curious and want to know more about how computers work.  (Or if you're one of those GNU guys who thinks it is immoral to use non-free software)  With Linux, for instance, you can build your own OS (linux from scratch, anyone?) and you have access to free compiler tools and source code.  Certainly a great OS for anyone majoring in computer science.

? xp user, has somebody found out your password and is posing as you? or are you trying to gain people's confidence? i suspect that you are actually posting as somebody else (possibly unixsucks) and you think it would be funny to be positive about linux in one ID and negative in another. is this the case?
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

slave

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #63 on: 14 October 2002, 20:54 »
quote:
Posted by Calum:
? xp user, has somebody found out your password and is posing as you? or are you trying to gain people's confidence? i suspect that you are actually posting as somebody else (possibly unixsucks) and you think it would be funny to be positive about linux in one ID and negative in another. is this the case?

No, it's not the case, (and I'm not unixsucks that's for sure) it's just that I think anyone majoring in CS would like Linux since it is not only pretty mature but you can look at all the source code.  However, most people would not like Linux on their PC's because they aren't developers and they could care less about how a kernel works.  They just want to use their PC like an appliance.  Windows XP works great in this case. (and OS X, if you want to spend a lot of money on over-priced macs)  People wouldn't use XP if they didn't like it, and there isn't anything to not like about XP besides the fact that it is a little over-priced and you have to "activate" it (though not if you download the corporate edition and generate your own corporate key using the XP Blue List generator so you can do windows update without being denied access by MS (and at least Windows update isn't always "too busy" like the red hat network)
Plus the fonts that come with linux are usually way, way too crappy.  I think it's all a plot by optometrists to ruin people's eyesight so they'll have to buy glasses or contacts.  How hard are good fonts to create anyway?

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #64 on: 14 October 2002, 21:18 »
i see, so it is the old confidence gaining trick, eh?

you say something nice about linux, then i, or somebody else goes 'wtf???' and you chime in saying, oh yes, linux is great BUT most people would prefer windows xp.'

i imagine that your idea is that any normal dunderhead reading this page will get that far and decide that linux is not for them, since you use reasonable language they will be most likely to believe what you say out of hand.

Well you are right, and i hope that anybody dumb enough to fall for this trick does end up using XP. as you say, most people are too dumb to need all the extra much better features of linux anyway, so more fool them. Of course they'll be screaming when their system starts losing data and crashing because its too busy phoning home, but they can ring M$ support about thet...

slave

Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #65 on: 15 October 2002, 00:39 »
quote:
i see, so it is the old confidence gaining trick, eh?

you say something nice about linux, then i, or somebody else goes 'wtf???' and you chime in saying, oh yes, linux is great BUT most people would prefer windows xp.'

i imagine that your idea is that any normal dunderhead reading this page will get that far and decide that linux is not for them, since you use reasonable language they will be most likely to believe what you say out of hand.

Well you are right, and i hope that anybody dumb enough to fall for this trick does end up using XP. as you say, most people are too dumb to need all the extra much better features of linux anyway, so more fool them. Of course they'll be screaming when their system starts losing data and crashing because its too busy phoning home, but they can ring M$ support about thet...

I won't let you get away with these blatant lies!  First of all, Windows XP's "phoning home" has nothing to do with loss of data and you know it.  Second, Windows XP doesn't crash very much in my experience, certainly not at all on newer hardware (it has trouble with some older models, for instance my old computer)  

As for your dunderhead using XP remark, I'm sure you wouldn't say the same thing about a Mac user who enjoys Apple computers because they "just work," now would you?

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #66 on: 15 October 2002, 02:23 »
i sure would, however i would mean it in the same sense. in this case, i just mean somebody who doesn give a shit about ethics, reality or principles, they just want what they can get for themselves. this is why a lot of people use windows. most people  prefer to go with the rest of the herd. Those that use macs are often (though less often than windows users) also herd animals, but maybe they think they are bucking the trend, or maybe they just think macs work better (maybe this is true!)

in my experience of Xp (which is as little as i can manage, and is limited to the rare times i have to use my flatmate machine) i have had just as many mysterious crashes and dreezes, mysterious functions not working and icons and files moving around or disappearing that i had in windows millenium. The only difference is in the shitty user interface which i think is even worse andmore insulting than previous windows versions.

as for data loss/phoning home, so you reckon that windows XP data losing function is totally seperate from it phoning home function? wow, no wonder it can't seem to do much else in any hurry. Actually the data loss is from a number of things. sometimes it might be from the randomcrashing, sometimes it might be from Microsoft strange idea of 'encryption' (which seems to mean something totally different from everybody else idea of what encryption means) or any number of other unpredictable things. the most stable windows XP system seems to be one with nothing installed on it, and preferably nobody using it.

slave

Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #67 on: 15 October 2002, 04:32 »
Ethics.  That's a laugh.  Just in what way is using Windows XP unethical, anyway?  As for your problems with using XP on your roommate's computer, I have to say that I never have those problems.  I have had Linux crash on every single one of my computers from time to time, however. (nvidia kernel memory page fault bug, perhaps?  all my PCs use nvidia cards)  I'm not saying Linux crashes a lot, because it doesn't, but it has locked up from time to time.  Certainly just as much as XP, if not more.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #68 on: 15 October 2002, 05:08 »
Every OS crashes.

Windows crashes more than others, although I must admit that XP does seem more stable than its NT/2000 predecessors (awaits flames)

But for me, it all boils down to what I saw in someone's sig...

If it ain't UNIX... fuck it!

UNIX is the king of OSes... Ken Thompson is like God for creating it, and Linus Torvalds is like Christ for coming to free us from slavery and sin.

Allright... that was uber-cheesy and Christian-centric, but ::shrugs:: I'm not perfect!

BTW... Bill Gates is Satan and Windows is Hell (except 95... it was purgatory)
Go the fuck ~

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #69 on: 17 December 2002, 21:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by Windows XP User #5225982375:
Ethics.  That's a laugh.  Just in what way is using Windows XP unethical, anyway?  As for your problems with using XP on your roommate's computer, I have to say that I never have those problems.  I have had Linux crash on every single one of my computers from time to time, however. (nvidia kernel memory page fault bug, perhaps?  all my PCs use nvidia cards)  I'm not saying Linux crashes a lot, because it doesn't, but it has locked up from time to time.  Certainly just as much as XP, if not more.

this does indeed look very silly now 'linux user' has 'come out'!  :D