Author Topic: [Noob] Modem Troubles [/Noob]  (Read 590 times)

wm009

• Kudos: 0
[Noob] Modem Troubles [/Noob]
« on: 16 November 2002, 23:41 »
I installed my Modem Drivers. I think I did it correctly. It was an rpm file and was pretty simple. I can't seem to get the modem to work. I get an error that says, "Sorry, the modem doesn't respond."

I was looking in someother things and saw something about my pci modem access was to root or something. Please bare with me. I'm really new to this.

pkd_lives

« Reply #1 on: 17 November 2002, 02:39 »
Did you configure your internet connection after installing your new driver. You probably need to run the internet/network connection in the configuration utility, which will depend upon your distribution. and it should ask you which users to enable it for. Or most likely an 'allow users to connect to internet?' option.
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

wm009

« Reply #2 on: 17 November 2002, 03:21 »
Yes, that came to mind. I configed the modem right after the OS install. I can't figure out how to do the new configure thing. I'm not sure where to get it.

I'm using mandrake 8.1.

If you need anymore information please ask. I'm in a #linux channel now and they're not very much help.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #3 on: 21 November 2002, 14:02 »
what kind of modem do you have?

you might find the following pages very useful:

http://start.at/modems

http://linmodems.org/

the first one has a table showing the compatibility of most known modems with linux. I for instance have a SiS internal modem that even has linux drivers come from the manufacturer. The drivers don't work, the modem's crap and i eventually got a PC card Xircom modem to replace it. If you have a PCMCIA slot then it might be worth considering getting one (and in fact i have a spare if yr interested) but that shouldn't be your first port of call, and i don't think you'll have that slot unless you're using a laptop anyway...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism