Author Topic: iTunes for Windows Breaking Older iPods  (Read 652 times)

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
iTunes for Windows Breaking Older iPods
« on: 15 November 2003, 14:13 »
Apples' software is destroying their hardware. And to think, Apple claims that ITunes for Windows is supposed to be the best ever application for Windows(ROFLMFAO!!!). The worst part of it is Apple won't replace your iPod even though their software broke it. How is that for customer support?   :rolleyes:  

http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/03/11/14/209239.shtml?tid=107&tid=187

(EDIT)I know this isn't Mac OS related but it is Apple related so if I put this in the wrong section feel free to move it somewhere else.

[ November 15, 2003: Message edited by: Viper ]

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #1 on: 16 November 2003, 07:31 »
While I agree, Apples attitude is a bit fucked up, they do explicitly state that older iPods are not supported under windows.

We are talking the old 5gb moddles etc. The new moddles work fine. So basically, you have people doing things you aren't supposed to do with the device, and subsequently breaking it.

Now, I would rather Apple have a more overt warning to users. Such as, plugging in an older iPod, the machine will pop a dialogue saying it is risky etc.

However, it's not a blatant abuse. It's simply not Apples fault people did what they were not supposed to.

It sucks ass tho.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #2 on: 16 November 2003, 07:44 »
Oh, here is a fix finaly resolved at the end of the slashdot thread:

ok... If anyone is actually having the same problem, here's how to fix it without having to wade through a flame war I inadvertently started. Use the PC to download the PC updater from apple, restore it, then put it back on the Mac. Restore it again and it should go. But bear in mind that this does happen... I honestly didn't know and everyone screaming at me that I should've was not that helpful when I was staring at my 250 white brick. Thanks to everyone that tried to help and didn't say I was too stupid to live and deserved to die and probably drink bleach or think I should be able to breathe underwater. iTunes for Windows disables a hack that many people had been using. Here is a hack to work around it. Stop the flaming please.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR