Author Topic: me + mac  (Read 1871 times)

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
me + mac
« on: 29 May 2002, 00:40 »
hey.. I might be getting a (used) Mac Laptop!!!!
I will have to buy OSX for it though as it comes with whatever version was out in '96.. i think.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

slave

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
me + mac
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2002, 00:44 »
Good luck getting OS X to run on a laptop made in 1996...  It isn't exactly a lightweight OS.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
me + mac
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2002, 01:29 »
yeah right, he said OSX, not XP, can't you read?

still, i suppose you could carp on about how his new laptop will never be good enough to run windows...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
me + mac
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2002, 03:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by Windows XP User #5225982375:
Good luck getting OS X to run on a laptop made in 1996...  It isn't exactly a lightweight OS.

If it is a G3, OS X will work fine. Even if it isn't, OS 9 is great. So go shove a pickle in your bum XPee.

[ May 28, 2002: Message edited by: psyjax ]

Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Master of Reality

• VIP
me + mac
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2002, 06:06 »
i have no clue what is in this things, it might not be as old as '96, I cant remember.... it might have been 98 or maybe even '99.
Disorder | Rating
Linux User #283518

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
me + mac
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2002, 07:10 »
You're wasting your money.  I suggest getting a great used PC laptop with Windows XP on it, or if it isn't preloaded you can purchase a copy from Microsoft.  I buy all of my Microsoft software because they make such great products and I want to support them.

Heru

me + mac
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2002, 07:34 »
Excuse me while I puke..  Windows XP ass here is making me sick

Anyhow, if you're getting a G3, OSX should run fine on it.  As long as you have 64 megs of ram you'll be fine.

I have done some tests of my own.  A G3 at 450mhz running OSX runs faster and more reliebly than a P4 at 1.5ghz running XP.  Why the hell do you think that 75% of all computers in digital effects fields(Industial Light and Magic is a notable name here) are Apple G3 or G4's?

Xenoran

me + mac
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2002, 08:20 »
quote:
Why the hell do you think that 75% of all computers in digital effects fields(Industial Light and Magic is a notable name here) are Apple G3 or G4's?

Because they have yet to utilize the far superior powers of the dual Athlon MP configuration? Also, a fast CPU alone (not that the Pentium 4 falls in that category) isn't going to ensure good visual preformance in Windows XP, a decent video card is what really makes the experience smooth (by decent I mean a GeForce2 GTS or up).

As for OS X requirements myths floating around here, below are the official requirements directly from Apple's site.

quote:
System Requirements:
- iMac, iBook, Power Macintosh G3, Power Mac G4, Power Mac G4 Cube, PowerBook G3 or PowerBook G4 computer*
- 128MB of physical RAM
- 1.5GB of disk space available

*Mac OS X does not support the original PowerBook G3 or upgraded PowerPC processors.

[ May 28, 2002: Message edited by: Vincent ]

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
me + mac
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2002, 21:22 »
I've done it on 64MB of RAM. It works. At least I think it's 64MB. Don't know which edition of powerbook your running.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/requirements.html

here is a visual aid  :D

EDIT:

ResExcellence.com has articles on getting OS X to run on upgrade cards and a bunch of other hacks you can perform. You would be surprised what you can "trick" OS X into doing, part of the beuty of having an open source under system is that you can scale it to your needs.

If all else fails you can run Darwin, or just good ol' OS 9.

[ May 29, 2002: Message edited by: psyjax ]

Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Heru

me + mac
« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2002, 21:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax:

ResExcellence.com has articles on getting OS X to run on upgrade cards and a bunch of other hacks you can perform. You would be surprised what you can "trick" OS X into doing, part of the beuty of having an open source under system is that you can scale it to your needs.

If all else fails you can run Darwin, or just good ol' OS 9.

Yeah I know someone who has got it working very well on a Imac with a G4 upgrade card.  It works amazingly fast.  I simply blew me away.  The DarwinBSD core is a very usefull thing to have access to.

The simple fact is Macs and MacOS are much better for digital graphics fields.  I previously mentioned ILM; well they experimented with Intel and AMD chips running Windows and Linux, and kept coming up with the same results, Macs were much better for there needs.

And for home users, nothing is easier to use than MacOS(well maybe BeOS, but that's about dead). And plenty of aps and games are available for it. The first computer I ever used was a Mac LCIII(I think) and it ran MacOS 7.1.  To this day I still prefer MacOS.  I even try to imitate some of it's functinality in Windows and Linux.  And I am getting a G3 powerbook with OSX in a couple of weeks, hopefully.

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
me + mac
« Reply #10 on: 29 May 2002, 21:59 »
OSX should work fine, and if you have any memory problems or anything, all those little fancy-shamncy animations and stuff can be turned off. You see, Expee, over there at Apple they actually take the time to make product A work with product B.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
me + mac
« Reply #11 on: 29 May 2002, 14:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by Windows XP User #5225982375:
You're wasting your money.  I suggest getting a great used PC laptop with Windows XP on it, or if it isn't preloaded you can purchase a copy from Microsoft.  I buy all of my Microsoft software because they make such great products and I want to support them.
--------------------
Open source now?
Open source NEVER!  Go Microsoft!

This is it! this is the post that went too far! this dumbass has finally shown his hand! he can not possibly be a normal unbiased computer user and say this. There is noone in the world who would say this except an employee of Microsoft!!! Yes, i am onto you, windows XP marketer, you are simply trying to cause bad feeling in the ranks, well your comments will not win any converts here, so kindly move on. I suggest you visit the windowsbbs.com perhaps. Goodbye.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Scotty

me + mac
« Reply #12 on: 29 May 2002, 15:09 »
quote:

Yes it's official now.. you are certainly the most dumbestFUCKER ever walk on the face of the earth!!!   :D  Even a moron with limited IQ wouldn't write unbelievable shit like you did.. zeezuz!!

Now piss off little annoyance...

[ May 29, 2002: Message edited by: SingleMalt ]

I tried hard to come up with nasty signature but I can't think any at this hour so I just say that m$ can go to hell for all I care.

ravuya

• VIP
me + mac
« Reply #13 on: 29 May 2002, 20:44 »
Since you're probably quite bright, you can use UnsupportedUtilityX (or whatever the hell it's called now) to install Mac OS X in your box and run command-line only... you can cut out the GUI entirely by typing '>console' in the login prompt.

Master of Reality

• VIP
me + mac
« Reply #14 on: 29 May 2002, 20:57 »
all i really am gonna use this laptop for is just a database or something to contain info from sporting events. I think it is before a G3 though.

[ May 29, 2002: Message edited by: Master of Reality ]

Disorder | Rating
Linux User #283518