Author Topic: broken mac  (Read 699 times)

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
broken mac
« on: 12 December 2002, 11:47 »
i just got home, and went to wake up my mac, and realized that the power had went out. the clocks were flashing, and the mac was off. i pushed the power button and the light turns on, but when i release the button, nothing. nothing happens except the light comes on. shitty. so i am guessing i need a new power supply?? im almost depressed now....

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
broken mac
« Reply #1 on: 12 December 2002, 12:18 »
That's very scary. Was the computer on when the power went out and do you have surge-protectors? If you have it plugged into a power strip perhaps something's wrong with it? Ugh, I would be contemplating suicide right now if this happened to me.

I think this counts as a power-outage horror story.

[ December 12, 2002: Message edited by: Macman: Mac Trekker / BoB ]

xyle_one

• VIP
broken mac
« Reply #2 on: 12 December 2002, 21:52 »
it is plugged into a surge protector, and everything else that was plugged in is fine, my external firewire drive was still chugging away, and the dsl modem was working... sucks, i checked again this morning. it just sorta makes a clicking sound when i try to turn it on. i really hope nothing is fooked. it is probably just the power supply. i really dont want to spend 2000 right now on a new g4...

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
broken mac
« Reply #3 on: 12 December 2002, 21:56 »
quote:
Originally posted by Xyle: Mac Commando:
it is plugged into a surge protector, and everything else that was plugged in is fine, my external firewire drive was still chugging away, and the dsl modem was working... sucks, i checked again this morning. it just sorta makes a clicking sound when i try to turn it on. i really hope nothing is fooked. it is probably just the power supply. i really dont want to spend 2000 right now on a new g4...

Don't wanna state the obvious but have you check the fuse on the power cable? Mine always blow when the power goes funny.
Contains scenes of mild peril.

xyle_one

• VIP
broken mac
« Reply #4 on: 12 December 2002, 22:17 »
quote:
Tux: Don't wanna state the obvious but have you check the fuse on the power cable? Mine always blow when the power goes funny.

hehehe... almost turns red...... um, well no. do you mean the power supply?? ill deffinetely check that when i get home..
thanks   :D    :D

KernelPanic

• VIP
broken mac
« Reply #5 on: 12 December 2002, 22:21 »
Erm I dunno what you call them over there but I mean just the black cable that you plug from the socket to yer PC/Mac.
To me a power supply is the big ugly transformer at the top of my PC's case with a fan on it.

Whatever you guys call it call it, you know what i'm talking about.  

EDIT: Actually do you have fuses in your plugs over there? I know in some countries they have them in the actual plug socket.

[ December 12, 2002: Message edited by: Tux ]

KernelPanic

• VIP
broken mac
« Reply #6 on: 12 December 2002, 22:23 »
ps. If you don't have the correct fuse (5 amp) don't but a higher one in, that might not be a good idea. You could stick a 3A in until you get the correct rated one.

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
broken mac
« Reply #7 on: 13 December 2002, 03:59 »
quote:
Originally posted by Tux:
ps. If you don't have the correct fuse (5 amp) don't but a higher one in, that might not be a good idea. You could stick a 3A in until you get the correct rated one.
lol... i hat twice the proper amount in my stereo, then i blew one, so i put the correct fuse in and i thinks its very close to blowing.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
broken mac
« Reply #8 on: 13 December 2002, 22:07 »
Xyle, take it to your local Apple store or certified repair center. Call apple, they can tell you a location. I'm sure it's nothing big. If your under warenty and/or AppleCare, they fix it for free. Won't bet too much money if you don't.

My old iMac burnt out during a powersurge a few years ago. Cost me 75bucks to replace my logic board. Hey, better than a new comp.

In any case, I wen't out and invested in a surge protector box.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

xyle_one

• VIP
broken mac
« Reply #9 on: 13 December 2002, 22:20 »
my mac is not under warranty, i bought it off of a freind who got it from who knows where. its like the slut of g4s, everyone has turned it on   :D  
i am going to get "real" surge protection and maybe a UPS. id really like to get it fixed, im getting very depressed about a dead g4. i still have an old iBook to play with....   :(  
there is a place in town i can take it, ill probably do that this afternoon.
thanks

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
broken mac
« Reply #10 on: 13 December 2002, 22:51 »
this happened to my work mac last job. the technician said it was dead beyond repair, and that he was lucky to salvage the data of the hard drive, but he could have just been trying to justify his existence...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
broken mac
« Reply #11 on: 23 December 2002, 15:25 »
Did you ever get it fixed, Xyle?

xyle_one

• VIP
broken mac
« Reply #12 on: 27 December 2002, 01:08 »
we will see in about 4.5 hours   :D

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
broken mac
« Reply #13 on: 27 December 2002, 04:26 »
if it didn't work. ill buy a g4 corpse/*hell, the case would be worth it alone, not to mention all the part's and shit*/ howmuch?
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
broken mac
« Reply #14 on: 27 December 2002, 04:29 »
and carefully look over every single fucking electrolitec capiciter/*whoever invented the fluid should be drownd in it*/ i just fixed a geforce 2 for my netbsd box/*and did anohter little hack, i did keep it at 1000uf, but it is rated or 35volts and the one it replaced was for 6.3 volts? think this might cuase a problem?*/ i have also repaired a mother board/*the same netbsd box*/ by getting a differnt cap for it.
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!