Author Topic: jtpenrod your image carries an MSN cookie  (Read 1675 times)

Centurian

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.darkmares.2ya.com
jtpenrod your image carries an MSN cookie
« on: 2 April 2002, 22:14 »
Hey jtpenrod,

I have been noticing that I pick up an MSN cookie when I have been no where near any MSN sites. Tonight I tracked it down. It is coming from your dolphin image that you use in your signature.
Your image comes from
communities.msn.com/_Secure/"Trackingnumber&cookie"/dolphin.gif

They are tracking you and everyone who sees your image.

I would recommend you change web providers.
Later
Centurian

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #1 on: 2 April 2002, 12:22 »
Jee-zuz Fuckin' Christ! You can't trust those mother fuckers for anything! Believe me, I've tried to find someone to host the image. Geocities wouldn't do it, but at least they came right out and said so. Those assholes as Talk City gave me no indication that I couldn't link the sig from there. I think it was up for two days before they broke the link. MSN was truly the last alternative, even though I wasn't real happy about it. I was just getting to believe they weren't so bad afterall, as they let me connect to the site from Linux with Mozilla. Do you or anyone else know of some other service that can host sigs?

[ April 02, 2002: Message edited by: jtpenrod ]

Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #2 on: 2 April 2002, 20:32 »
Deal with the devil and you get burnd.

Shame on you for dealing with the enamy, well, at least I hope you learned your lesson.

We forgive you.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Centurian

« Reply #3 on: 2 April 2002, 21:44 »
Hey,

quote:
Originally posted by jtpenrod:
Jee-zuz Fuckin' Christ! You can't trust those mother fuckers for anything! Believe me, I've tried to find someone to host the image. Geocities wouldn't do it, but at least they came right out and said so. Those assholes as Talk City gave me no indication that I couldn't link the sig from there. I think it was up for two days before they broke the link. MSN was truly the last alternative, even though I wasn't real happy about it. I was just getting to believe they weren't so bad afterall, as they let me connect to the site from Linux with Mozilla. Do you or anyone else know of some other service that can host sigs?

Try
Boomspeed
Teir specific deal is about hotlinking. You only get about 1100K unless you sign up for a paid account. But 1100K should be more than enough to hold that image for you. Then you can hotlink from boomspeed without worry.
Later
Centurian

jtpenrod

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: 2 April 2002, 22:25 »
I deleted the image from MSN so that they can't infect any more HDs with their spyware. And do you suppose they tell you about this when you up load sigs for hosting?   :mad:   Do they ask your permission to use your sigs as a vector for their spyware?   :mad:      :mad:      :mad:   How fucking low can they go?
"Trustworthy Computing", yeah right, and I suppose this is a fine example?(!)   :eek:  

Powered by Mandrake Linux and Freedom
Computers are like air conditioners: they can't do their jobs if you open windows
Text only till I can find a host that doesn't use my sig as a vector for their spyware. FUCK YOU very much MSN   :mad:      :mad:      :mad:

Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

Centurian

« Reply #5 on: 2 April 2002, 22:31 »
LMAO they are Microsoft so you know you can trust them.

NOT!

HEHEH
Later
Centurian

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #6 on: 2 April 2002, 22:54 »
i suppose you guys have seen TrustworthyComputing.com...

you can trust Microsoft, to be untrustworthy consistently!  :D
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #8 on: 4 April 2002, 15:24 »
quote:
Originally posted by jtpenrod:

Why dont yo just create a site on Geocities and use it....
I do that:
Click here

jtpenrod

• VIP
« Reply #9 on: 5 April 2002, 08:31 »
quote:
Why dont yo just create a site on Geocities and use it....

Been there, done that. I had a site set up on Geocities, however, it was useless for hosting any sort of sig. I think the link held up for a couple of minutes before it was cutoff. They have a rule about not being able to link to or from any site that's not a Geocities site. (which this one isn't). At least Geocities was up-front about it. I also tried Talk City, again, the link held for two days before it, too, was cut off. And yet, there was nothing in any of their documentation that suggested that you couldn't use that type of link. (Although I should have figured as much as TC is as ad-laden as Geocities ever was.)