Author Topic: Corel is lying through it's teeth!  (Read 1466 times)

1mck

• Kudos: 0
Corel is lying through it's teeth!
« on: 17 August 2002, 01:14 »
I stumbled upon an article in "Maclean's" magazine, that really epitomizes how far that Microsoft is willing to go to cleanse the world of it's competition, and also how much Corel is lying. Please note, that this article is dated the 21st of February, 2001:

Probing Microsoft and Corel

The United States Justice Department's antitrust unit is investigating a deal reached last October between Microsoft and Ottawa-based software maker Corel corperation. Under the agreement, Redmond, Washington based Microsoft paid $208 million for 24% of Corel shares "and the Canadian company agreed to stop producing programs designed to run on the Linux Operating System, which competes with Microsoft Windows products."

I couldn't believe it when I read this, and yet I read about how Corel tried to make a go it by providing the "Mandrake Linux OS" free with their "Wordperfect Office Suite." Excuse my language, but BULLSHIT!!!! They sold out just like everybody else, and to think that I was going to write them a letter asking them to support "Lindows" when it comes out!

HPC GUY

• Kudos: 101
« Reply #1 on: 17 August 2002, 01:21 »
didnt corel release thier own version of linux?
money talks and bullshit walks....
"if i destroyed you, i would only be perpetuating your legacy" - Me

1mck

« Reply #2 on: 17 August 2002, 01:33 »
I believe that it was "Mandrake Linux" that came with their Office Suite. I could go up to the local Future Shop, or as I call it, "The FU shop," and snag at least 3 copies of it. Of course there will be absolutely NO support for it by Corel because of their deal with Microsoft. You're right about "Money talks," but I just don't like it when I read "How Corel tried to make a go of it." They did not try to make a go of it...LIE! LIARS! DIRTY, DIRTY LIARS! LIAR, LIAR PANTS ON FIRE!;)

beltorak0

• http://www.angelfire.com/realm/beltorak
« Reply #3 on: 17 August 2002, 03:16 »
maybe they just got muscled out of it.  remember that M$ has the ability to make all of corel's product incomaptible with 85% of the rest of the computing world; so it is quite reasonable that some M$ rep showed up and told them this, then made them sign a contract to the effect.  And also, they could npt release why they were stopping support for linux, because any terms of the contract would be held under lock and key: M$ would claim that the contract and terms are a "trade secret".

M$ is evil.  They will stoop at nothing.  And I'm begining to belive that [another poster] is right.  The DoJ completely failed in trying to put a stop to it.  M$ can just ignore the provisions of the law, claim it was a "bug" and then "attempt" to fix it in the next qpplicable service pack or OS update.

M$ is evil.

-t.
from Attrition.Org

quote:
Like many times before, Microsoft is re-inventing the wheel and opting for something other than round.

-t.

1mck

« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2002, 03:47 »
Well, we can speculate all we want, but what is true is that Microsoft is/was obviously frightened by the potential competition of Corel. I'd like to know how long this contract that they signed with Microsoft is good for.
I can foresee that if that contract runs out, that if they do a mass release of Wordperfect for Linux, and all of the different flavours of it, so to speak, then this will be almost a "coup" for Corel, and I'm pretty sure that Microsoft knows this.

1mck

« Reply #5 on: 19 August 2002, 11:33 »
Hey, I think that you are right about Corel putting out their own version of Linux. Oops, but what I said still stands;)

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #6 on: 20 August 2002, 08:51 »
Corel Linux OS. I got an actual bought CD of it right here.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

1mck

« Reply #7 on: 20 August 2002, 10:06 »
From one Bob to another Bob...you're right! I went up to the Future Shop, and confirmed it, so it is indeed Corel Linux.

1mck--->soon to be MS Free:)

Master of Reality

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: 20 August 2002, 10:19 »
Disorder | Rating
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

eradicator

« Reply #9 on: 21 August 2002, 06:24 »
Corel Linux is no longer active, it's now considered Xandros(http://www.xandros.net/) and made by another company.

1mck

« Reply #10 on: 23 August 2002, 13:12 »
Hey, I just fired off an inquiry to Corel to ask them if they are going to be supporting the Lycoris Operating System....I don't think they'll respond because I also asked them how long the deal with Microsoft is going to last, and I included the article that I found in Maclean's magazine!lololol
It's really too bad, eh? I have used Wordperfect, and it's on par with "Word."

Master of Reality

• VIP
« Reply #11 on: 23 August 2002, 14:37 »
i use staroffice. Its good.
Disorder | Rating
Linux User #283518