Author Topic: Best PC set up advice please.  (Read 553 times)

zooloo

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.websteam.co.uk
Best PC set up advice please.
« on: 17 December 2002, 06:06 »
Can anyone please offer advice on what PC set-up I need to run...

Red Hat

Mandrake

Windows XP - I am sorry about this but I need it for comparison.

It's for a business using email, word processing, spreadsheets and the like.

What I'd appreciate is some "real world" information - the downs as well as the ups, well not the downs of MS thank you but anything I really ought to consider.

A client may consider open source software (I stress may).  I don't think they will go for Linux but as OpenOffice.org is free and StarOffice is very cheap they are hesitating over it.

"Hesitating" means they can't think of a reason not to but are spineless shits who can't make decisions - but that's only my opinion.

I would like to feed them the cost difference between OSS and MS so they will doubt the wisdom of going the MS ("Did we need it?") and maybe next time around...

Thanks in advance and I apologise again for the XP question.

zooloo

PS.  I don't actually do computer stuff, I do websites but people think website = PC and they do ask me about their PC's (Usually the printer is on pause).

As I go about my business I am sowing OSS seeds and leading by example.
Open Source Software - What is the compelling reason to use anything else?

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
Best PC set up advice please.
« Reply #1 on: 17 December 2002, 07:21 »
Windows XP requirements-

233 mhz. 300mhz recommended
64mb ram. 128 recommended
1.5gb disk space
Cd rom
Keboard and mouse. (well duh)

Mandrake and RH...

Supoosedly not a lot is needed, but since I can't find any sytem requirements, I must assume that all you really need is a carboard box full of wires.

Don't forget to factor training for all those drones who probably have only used windows all their lives.