Author Topic: Your education  (Read 768 times)

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
Your education
« on: 22 August 2002, 21:31 »
I was just wondering what educations different posters on the FMS/MES forums had. If you dont mind, could you give a brief summary of you education (ie subjects/courses)studied and possibly what you are working as now. Dont post your whole CV though, i just wanted an idea of what everyone had studied.

ps. I dont care about primary school, kindergarten/nursery
Contains scenes of mild peril.

badkarma

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
Your education
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2002, 22:37 »
I got my HAVO diploma (equivalent to a High School diploma I think) and did 2 years of college which I didn't finish due to a couple of personal reasons. I got very lucky and have a job as a programmer, I must admit that I learned more in the last year on my job then in the 2 years of school.

So basically I am self educated  
If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Your education
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2002, 22:50 »
University of South Carolina - computer science/math. 11 weeks at USAF computer programming school (40 hour weeks learning several languages, ASM, ADA, COBOL, etc).
Several few day UNIX admin classes for AIX, Solaris, and HP-UX. A couple of week long Cisco router classes.  Various other programming and OS classes...

But like Karma said. I have learned 1000 times more on my own than in any school. I'm not saying you won't pick up any valuable information in schools and classes, just that there is nothing like learning while doing real world stuff. Classes might give you a kick start, or might make up your mind whether you want to learn more about the subject, make it a profession, or drop it altogether..
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
Your education
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2002, 23:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by VoidMain:
University of South Carolina - computer science/math. 11 weeks at USAF computer programming school (40 hour weeks learning several languages, ASM, ADA, COBOL, etc).
Several few day UNIX admin classes for AIX, Solaris, and HP-UX. A couple of week long Cisco router classes.  Various other programming and OS classes...

But like Karma said. I have learned 1000 times more on my own than in any school. I'm not saying you won't pick up any valuable information in schools and classes, just that there is nothing like learning while doing real world stuff. Classes might give you a kick start, or might make up your mind whether you want to learn more about the subject, make it a profession, or drop it altogether..

Yeah i know you learn most things 'on the job' and in courses and the like i was just interested in what you had done to get you into a position where you were 'employable'. My goal for now is to get into MIT... if only  
Contains scenes of mild peril.

badkarma

• VIP
Your education
« Reply #4 on: 22 August 2002, 23:59 »
On the technical side there was not much use for my education (most of the stuff I already knew, or was so easy I didn't have to do anything for it) however the social part (verbal courses, presentations, language (we had a course 'High technical english'  ;) ) is really, really good for general use and personal development.

I have no regrets not finishing my education (and don't think I'll ever have) however it would have (ofcourse) been better if I had finished it (but there were some circumstances I had no control over)
If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

dbl221

Your education
« Reply #5 on: 23 August 2002, 10:41 »
Well I am a Nuclear Medicine Technologist from UofT/Michener where I studies swell things like: pharmacokinetics and cross-sectional anatomy, and pathophysiology..uhg!

More recently I am a computer systems student, typical semester involves such gems as: Datacommunications, Unix, AS/400, Novell, M$(all), Cisco(routers switches v-lan..blah..blah..blah), programming, Databases, Internet security...and my personal fav...circuit analysis.

Next semester I get a break for co-op doing second level support for a BIG food company.

There is more but my brain is gooo at this point.
dbl221***Comp-Sys walking wounded

LorKorub

Your education
« Reply #6 on: 23 August 2002, 14:59 »
Motgomery College (Harvard on the Pike), Rockville, MD.  -- wasted years studying M$ technolgies for an A.A. in M.I.S.

University of Nevada at Las Vegas -- Computer Science Major.  Studied numerous languages including C, C++, FORTRAN 77, and COBOL.

UCLA -- furthered on the CS major, but majored in Beer, chicks, and an intro to JAVA and UNIX systems.  Learned two things:  I like the women in California, and I like what I've learned.  

Pondering (like Debian's install).......I don't know what I want to do. Do you have a suggestion? (`yes` or `no`):
"American English -- the noble language of your superiors"

voidmain

• VIP
Your education
« Reply #7 on: 23 August 2002, 15:13 »
When did you go to UNLV?  I spent a few years in Las Vegas...

Bazoukas

• Kudos: 140
    • http://whitehouse.com
Your education
« Reply #8 on: 24 August 2002, 02:13 »
2 1/2 years of Cognitive psychology major. Converted to Computer Science Major. Soon to graduate with dual Bachelors (i never planed this. Its more like an accident). I was out of school for 3 years cause of Family issues.

When I graduate I will apply for Officer in the US-Army. If they wont take me as an Officer I might join in as an Enlisted and hopefully become a Mustang.

People call me an idiot for wanting to do that since I will be making crazy money with C.S degree.  But believe it or not big money is not one of my goals in life. If they come i will be happy, if they never come I will still be happy.
 Its not always about the green.

[ August 23, 2002: Message edited by: bazoukas ]

[ August 23, 2002: Message edited by: bazoukas ]

Yeah

creedon

Your education
« Reply #9 on: 24 August 2002, 02:25 »
H.S. grad, 4 years Navy (Seabee) 8000 hour Macinist apprenticeship, no formal computer training, P.E. license (civil/sanitary) based on examinations/time as certified operator.  Essentially self-educated.
I'm SERIOUS about Linux; are you??

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
Your education
« Reply #10 on: 24 August 2002, 03:53 »
ummmm, next monday, i start as a junoir in high school, for those not thinking about it, im in 11nth grade. no special computer training. i started on linux in 8th grade. and im probably going to go to community college.
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

beltorak0

• http://www.angelfire.com/realm/beltorak
Your education
« Reply #11 on: 24 August 2002, 04:28 »
6 years US Navy nuc machinest mate;
2 years construction;
currently taking networking classes (just started  ) so potential employers won't loopk at me, my resume, me, and go: "you wanna do what??"; besides, i need to fill in the gaps from what i've learned online.

-t.
from Attrition.Org

quote:
Like many times before, Microsoft is re-inventing the wheel and opting for something other than round.

-t.

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
Your education
« Reply #12 on: 24 August 2002, 05:24 »
actally, i wouldn't mind a job at the nsa, you know, the ones were you are on call 24/7, and work nightshift. i love night shift, does canada have anything like the nsa, you know,  systems your not supposed to know exist, and other monkey business, cuase my neighbor works for nsa, and for somereason, i don't even know what he does, other then admin solaris and linux. and he gets to go to places like germany several times a year
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

LorKorub

Your education
« Reply #13 on: 24 August 2002, 05:29 »
I was at UNLV from 1997-1999. I had to get out of there.  The are too many distractions, and it was too hard to study there.  

Where did you live in Vegas?
"American English -- the noble language of your superiors"

voidmain

• VIP
Your education
« Reply #14 on: 24 August 2002, 06:07 »
I know that feeling!  I was in Vegas from 81-83.  Had a lot of fun times there.  Spent most of my time outside of Las Vegas though. Lake Mead, Mt Charleston, Red Rock Canyon, etc, etc.. But then of course there were some nice in-town attractions like the Palomino club.  

[ August 23, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]