Author Topic: NON MS DOS  (Read 1999 times)

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
NON MS DOS
« on: 26 July 2002, 03:09 »
so, i have downloaded a few different versions of FreeDOS (from fdos.org or freedos.org i think) and none work or even install properly. They have this installer disk, which only asks for some (not all) of the other disks (the ones with all the programs and source on). I got the CD image, burned it OK, but it will not boot. I cannot figure out how to install the non used disks after i have installed the OS. They recommend also trying putting all the files in one dir then installing from that dir, but that does not work since the installer looks for an end of disk file, and all the end of disk files get put in said dir, so that the installer gets confused and misses a lot of stuff out.

So.

Anybody installed FreeDOS? anybody know a good place to get a working installable copy? or any other good FREE (and hopefully open source) DOSes out there?
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
NON MS DOS
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2002, 13:58 »
I did that too, personally...

FreeDOS is shit... It tells you to ROOT FAT at startup. I dont have that fetish, anyways get DR-DOS, Also dead thoo...  Another good OS is Linux, but i dont think anyone has heard of it yet, you know its not "cool" or "with it" like "WIndows" it also hasnt had a GUI made for it yet and tends to crash freqently, i would stay away from that Linux. Also Linux is a Virus according to McAffe!

Anyways....
Who has seen baseketball!

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
NON MS DOS
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2002, 15:59 »
a virus? it's not the one that overwrites your master boot record without permission like another well known "operating system". Anyway, DR-DOS is not free, is it?

also, FreeDOS to be fair is still on beta 0.8, so until a 1.0 version, i suspect i will have to put up with shit, if using it.

sunshine

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.stenchofwindows.tk
NON MS DOS
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2002, 16:51 »
I used to work o the freedos project! It can be very irritating at times. Go get reactOS, it's Windows NT but for free. so you should be OK. if you don't like or find it to much to handle, just get Linux. Debian is the Best Distro. But mandrake has a better configuration system and installation procedure, it's very professionally.
HiyaAAAA!!!!!! Something smellls!

StenchOfWindows.tk

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
NON MS DOS
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2002, 20:33 »
NT but free, hmmmm... Anyways got Dr-Dos, Until they change the startup messgege on freedos i wont use it  :D  and i typed D: to see if it would notice my bigger partition and it started putting letters all over the screen. Why are you in need of Dos?

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
NON MS DOS
« Reply #5 on: 26 July 2002, 21:02 »
And Red-Hat is the best distro, i hear bad things about debian. Slackware yes, but i hear debian is too "Unstable" and the "Stable" releases are "Obselete"

Thats what i hear, I will get it one day!

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
NON MS DOS
« Reply #6 on: 27 July 2002, 10:27 »
Can any windows run on non-ms DOS???
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
NON MS DOS
« Reply #7 on: 27 July 2002, 17:36 »
you hit the nail right on the thumb.

FreeDOS claims to emulate MSDOS interrupts perfectly, however the official line is that it cannot run MSWindows as it is a special case. However they claim tht some people have got windows runnign on freedos, so i wanted to try it out.

I just wanted an old stylee fat16/12 only DOS OS to play with, i already have mandrake 8.2 and winME so, you know, winME is shit at DOS stuff, and i wanted to try and run all my DOS programs (mostly games) on a free, and possibly open source OS, plus FreeDOS has ported compilers, libraries and so on from unix type open source projects too, so theoretically it would be a lot better than msdos IF IT WORKED!!!

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
NON MS DOS
« Reply #8 on: 28 July 2002, 02:05 »
you might be able to run windows 3.11 on it.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
NON MS DOS
« Reply #9 on: 28 July 2002, 10:38 »
Quote from: Calum
a virus? it's not the one that overwrites your master boot record without permission like another well known "operating system". Anyway, DR-DOS is not free, is it?

also, FreeDOS to be fair is still on beta 0.8, so until a 1.0 version, i suspect i will have to put up with shit, if using it.

Owe, to get DR-DOS goto www.drdos.net

[ July 28, 2002: Message edited by: Ex Eleven / b0b ]

BTW, Windows 3.1/.11 run on DR-DOS, also if you get dos install QEMM/DeskviewX. And calum why Windozers ME?

[ July 28, 2002: Message edited by: Ex Eleven / b0b ]
« Last Edit: 7 February 2008, 13:01 by Orethrius »

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
NON MS DOS
« Reply #10 on: 28 July 2002, 16:27 »
windows 98 will not run my cdwriter drivers on this laptop (it's a mitsubishi usb cdrw) and win2000 freezes on install.

I need a dual boot because linux cannot use my modem to connect to the internet, and my cdrw cannot be used in linux. it is possible that there is no driver but i will never know since cdrecord does not support usb writers (requiring a scsi/usb map, which i am not clever enough to try, even if i knew i had the right drivers)

also, you never said, is DR-DOS free?

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
NON MS DOS
« Reply #11 on: 28 July 2002, 21:21 »
i think it supports cdwriters by defualt, atleast suse and redhat do i think, ill have to check with my friend, im pretty sure that firewire drives are fully supported, cuase on the linux1394 sight it said that they work great,
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
NON MS DOS
« Reply #12 on: 28 July 2002, 22:12 »
Quote from: Master of Reality
you might be able to run windows 3.11 on it.

You should, but when microsoft rolled out with win 3.1 they added code that would give bogus error messages to people who weren't using ms-dos.
« Last Edit: 7 February 2008, 13:02 by Orethrius »

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
NON MS DOS
« Reply #13 on: 29 July 2002, 12:35 »
Quote from: TheQuirk
You should, but when microsoft rolled out with win 3.1 they added code that would give bogus error messages to people who weren't using ms-dos.

No back then Microsoft actually did there job. Windows 3.11/3.1 and 3.0 all run on:
Caldera Dr-Dos

Anyways Microsoft Linux is sussposed to be good  :D
www.mslinux.org
« Last Edit: 7 February 2008, 13:02 by Orethrius »

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
NON MS DOS
« Reply #14 on: 29 July 2002, 21:32 »
when caldera systems boguht out dr-dos, they filed a law suit against microsoft because of that.

at least that's what I remember =\