Miscellaneous > Programming & Networking

Hacking texts/books

(1/5) > >>

Bojo-Pimp:
I'm young (16) but I feel my attitude in day-to-day life reflects that of a true hacker and not one of a spate of day to day hackers in today's society.
Are there any books you can recommend on the subject of hacking?

AM

choasforages:
im going to /*misassume*/ that you are asking about the right definitino of hacking, which is progrmaing, and not cracking, breaking into computers

ok, orielly has a few good books on perl, c++, linux, and a few other langauges, go to the local book store, or library

ok, now if you want to learn about breaking into computers WRONG FORUM, go post it in the linux/unix forum, or the lounge,

lazygamer:

quote:ok, now if you want to learn about breaking into computers WRONG FORUM, go post it in the linux/unix forum, or the lounge,
--- End quote ---

Ummmm are you sure he won't get chewed out for posting cracking related questions in those forums either?  

Although I suppose asking questions from the defender point of view would definitly be valid. IE:Im tierd of gettin rapped by these 31337 hackors in IRC. How do u avod this?  ;)

On a sidenote about the whole hacker/cracker thing. I remember seeing a book at Costco called "Hackers challenge". It was obviously written from a defender perspective, but it called crackers, "Hackers". So obviously an author who confused those two isn't as computer adept as he thinks right? It's like having a doctor who smokes a pack a day or a dentist who doesn't take good care of his teeth.

KernelPanic:

quote:Originally posted by lazygamer:

Ummmm are you sure he won't get chewed out for posting cracking related questions in those forums either?    

Although I suppose asking questions from the defender point of view would definitly be valid. IE:Im tierd of gettin rapped by these 31337 hackors in IRC. How do u avod this?   ;)  

On a sidenote about the whole hacker/cracker thing. I remember seeing a book at Costco called "Hackers challenge". It was obviously written from a defender perspective, but it called crackers, "Hackers". So obviously an author who confused those two isn't as computer adept as he thinks right? It's like having a doctor who smokes a pack a day or a dentist who doesn't take good care of his teeth.
--- End quote ---

Don't use IRC lol  

In response to the original question the 'Unnoficial Guide to Ethical Hacking' is good book, but not very technical. Check it out at your local borders.

voidmain:
That's why I have always preferred the terms programming and programmer when referring to programming, and why I wish this forums name would be changed. I believe most people think of breaking in to computers and networks when the terms hacking and hacker are used.

[ August 30, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version