Author Topic: The shittyest distro  (Read 5914 times)

MrX

• Kudos: 0
Re: The shittyest distro
« Reply #30 on: 3 March 2005, 07:08 »
no-no .

you can easily customise your windows install.
itz called litePC http://www.litepc.com

i used the win98 thing, and it works great. goody goody

oh yeah-
Gentoo Linux=
poo linux.

its not possible for a nubie to install it, so dont even try it if you wanna do linux. i am going to try vector linux next.

Mr X

Bazoukas

• Kudos: 140
    • http://whitehouse.com
« Reply #31 on: 3 March 2005, 10:31 »
for
Mandrake
Lindows
Xandros

Xandros takes the fucking cake.
Yeah

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #32 on: 3 March 2005, 21:18 »
Quote from: MrX
no-no .

you can easily customise your windows install.
itz called litePC http://www.litepc.com

i used the win98 thing, and it works great. goody goody
hmm, you fail to convince me that litepc provides all the configurability that a linux system can provide. and i'm not even talking about being able to recompile your software with open source programs, i am simply talking about the common practice of readable config files. but i will let you discredit yourself with this stunning example of your obvious credentials to comment on the suitability of one piece of software over another:

oh yeah-
Gentoo Linux=
poo linux.

:D :D :D :D :D
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #33 on: 3 March 2005, 21:18 »
Quote from: Calum
can i just say something?:

CONFIGURABILITY!

there, i said it. how fast can you *make* windows boot up, and how fast can you *make* fedora boot up. sure, you might think fedora's default configuration sucks the brown goo from satan's scaly ringpiece, but with a linux distribution you can configure it a hell of a lot to work just how you like, in a lot of ways. by contrast windows has a huge wadge of deliberately unintelligible jibberish (known to many as the registry) instead of a human readable /etc directory, and consequently you can't do very much that you want to configure system level things with it.

hmm, fair enough, but then think about this, why doesn't windows eat RAM as efficiently as red hat in circumstances where more RAM is available? and why is it that i have often (in the past admittedly) heard that red hat can be made to run properly on low RAM systems, where windows simply will not run?

i'm not trying to insult you here, because i think user-friendliness is something that linux distros really lack compared with the expectations of windows users, however if you get past that, and imagine that a user can configure their linux system to their own preferences, you must see that if knoppix works well, fedora should be able to be made to work at least as well, on a specific machine.

I suppose you would have to recompile the kernel, and WMD wasn't using the default configureation, Fedora has KDE or GNOME not XFCE as default. I'm running XP and the pager file is only
175MB. I would imagine with KDE instead of XFCE the  swap memory usage would be a lot higher. To be honest I would rather not bother, I would rather run Windows or if even better Vector Linux or knoppix if it would run my software.
« Last Edit: 3 March 2005, 23:10 by Aloone_Jonez »
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #34 on: 3 March 2005, 22:25 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
you have 512MB and you're only running a few programs and it's using 438.375MB of swap space.

It's Slackware, and I had War and Peace (yes, the whole thing) loaded into Abiword. :D
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: 3 March 2005, 23:13 »
Then why did you imply it was Fedora?

I feel kind of silly now!

You've play a very dirty prank on us all!

Anyway, how much swap memory does it use with out all of that shit loaded?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

WMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: 3 March 2005, 23:22 »
Then why did you imply it was Fedora?

I never did that. ;)

I feel kind of silly now!

You've play a very dirty prank on us all!

The prank's on me, actually.  I didn't realize I was using so much memory. :o

Anyway, how much swap memory does it use with out all of that shit loaded?

I couldn't tell you right now...I closed Abiword but for some reason it's using even more...595MB...right now.  I think Mozilla is leaking memory, it's using 416MB.  Usually, I use around 50MB swap.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

WMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: 3 March 2005, 23:28 »
Ok, I restarted Mozilla just for you. ;)

[verwijderd door de beheerder]
My BSOD gallery

MrX

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #38 on: 4 March 2005, 03:08 »
i can get a win98 with litepc to fully load from the power button to when there is no hdd activity in 5 seconds.

mind you- this is with using lite pc micro installation, tweaked registry start up, some other things tweaked a little bit.
950mhz duron, 7200rpm 8mb cache hdd, fresh install, with nothing else.

so dont say that windows is 'so slow'

Mr X

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #39 on: 4 March 2005, 18:16 »
I suppose you would have to recompile the kernel,
suppose as you like, i was talking about switching services on and off in the boot scripts actually but i am sure there are a lot of other ways to make your system leaner, like recompiling the kernel right enough.
To be honest I would rather not bother, I would rather run Windows or if even better Vector Linux or knoppix if it would run my software.

you're with the majority there, but then the envelope was never pushed by people who would rather not bother! :-D
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #40 on: 14 March 2005, 09:45 »
I've read the marketing shit and it sounded good then I looked at this screen shot:http://www.linare.com/screen_shots/shutdown.html - doesn't this look a bit too similar to Windows XP, it's just puke green instead of blue!

Interesting that Linare should get mentioned early. Worst distro I ever tried. That damn thing doesn't include gcc! :eek:  Out of the box, it's impossible to compile an app and install from source. Furthermore, for whatever reason, nothing would connect to the 'Net. KPPP said that it had a connection, however, Mozilla, Konqueror, and ftp said that there was no connection. This is something I have never seen with any other distro, no matter how "broken" it otherwise was (ex. ELX -- pretty buggy, but at least its browsers worked). What the hell good is that?  :mad:
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

Ihatewindows

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #41 on: 29 March 2005, 16:44 »
The worst distro definately is err, I don't know. Well, any distro that is anything like windows. My favourite one has to be SUSE.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #42 on: 29 March 2005, 17:33 »
Quote from: Ihatewindows
The worst distro definately is err, I don't know. Well, any distro that is anything like windows. My favourite one has to be SUSE.

In stability, or in interface? Because SuSE has copied a bit from the Windows interface, like Windows has many things stolen from KDE.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: 29 March 2005, 23:18 »
I suppose these Favorate and shittyest distro threads don't mean much as you can set up a shit distro to be good by recompling the kernel and doing lots other reconfiguring and you can make a really good distro suck shitt by the same means. But in these threads I am refering to the default configurations. As muzzy keeps saying Windows isn't too bad if you set it up right but the default confirurations sucks major shit.

It's also a matter of personal taste. I prefur Vector Linux because it's lightweight and easy to use.

Lord C

• Kudos: 15
    • http://www.lordcalvin.co.uk/
« Reply #44 on: 30 March 2005, 00:19 »
If I were to install Windows,
I'd have to install Windows Update...
Run some updates, reboot, run some more updates, reboot as required
More updating and rebooting.

Then i'd have to try and find a free antivirus.
Download and install that.
Reboot and Scan.

Then i'd have to find a free firewall.

Then i'd have to find a free Anti Spyware.

Then i'd have to find a free Anti Adware.

Now it's time for searching for drivers for my scanner/printer/mouse/keyboard/monitor/sound card/graphics card/ethernet card/tv card etc.
Install all of those, with rebooting after most.

If I were to install Linux,
I would install my favourote dsitro.

Haha! Poor Fuzzy or Muffy w/e doesn't have a clue :)
Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Linux user #348855