Author Topic: The shittyest distro  (Read 5915 times)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
The shittyest distro
« on: 13 February 2005, 01:34 »
Well there's a thread to discuss your favorate distro, now how about the one that sucks the most?

Redhat/Fedora
I came to this forum dissing Linux because I'd had a bad experiance with Redhat 9 - it's slower than XP and often locks up. I recently tried Fedora Core 3 and it hasn't improved at all it's just as bloated as ever and to think people criticise Windows for this.

Linspire
I admit I haven't tried Linspire but it sucks because you have to pay to get software that would otherwise be free and their marketing policy is a joke too:http://www.gapmanwebdesign.com/runlinspire.php
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
Re: The shittyest distro
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2005, 02:09 »
Linare:
http://www.linare.com

MS Linux: :D
http://www.mslinux.org

SCO Linux: (discontinued)

MS Linux to have Start Button
Microsoft is working to incorporate the well known "Start" button from the Windows Platform into X Windows' Gnome interface. "We just can't figure out how the hell to get that darn foot out of there! The damn thing is like stuck." The team will have this feature ready by product launch.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

MrX

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2005, 04:23 »
ive used linspire and it's stupid, and slow. nothing you can get is free with it.
but- people who need warnings on their beverages telling them their cofee could be hot, this is for you, because even a dog can use it with their flash turourial.

mandrakelinux
its bloatware, and freaky slow. it looks stupid on kde, and you cant change 'themes' easily.
the only thing good is that it comes with boatloads of software.

win2000
talk about slow, and stupid, and insecure. a fresh  install, and wait a day and you will get about 10 virus' . windows 98 is more secure than this.
the only thing good, is that the person on the computer, its hard for them to do really anything bad with deepfreeze on it if you are restricted account:
and if you arent on the computer (like remotely hacking it) its as easy as stealing candy from a baby.

Mr X

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #3 on: 13 February 2005, 05:46 »
Quote from: WMD
Linare:
SCO Linux: (discontinued)

Was SCO Linux actully that bad?  I used Caldera Linux for years, and was more or less satisfied.

I never tried SCO Linux because I didn't feel the need to update when Caldera changed their name to SCO and released a new version, and then Darl turned them into scum.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
« Reply #4 on: 13 February 2005, 06:35 »
Linspire, since it ends up on cheap machines that enter the average person's home, and subsequently gives Linux a bad name.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #5 on: 13 February 2005, 12:11 »
i heard a lot of crap about lindows' shoddy distro, and how the licencing was really prohibitive and the installation and updating were shabby etc, so maybe that one (though i was put off from ever trying it)

the worst one i have ever tried was kmLinux. it is rotten. 100% rubbish in every way. waste 2 CDs and 1300MB of download time if you want to check this, but you're wasting your time.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 13 February 2005, 13:27 »
MS Linux: :D
http://www.mslinux.org

I'm using NT 5.1 and it doesn't suck half as much as Redhat!

Funny website though :D It's a pitty it hasn't been updated since 2000 :(

Linare:
http://www.linare.com

I've read the marketing shit and it sounded good then I looked at this screen shot:http://www.linare.com/screen_shots/shutdown.html - doesn't this look a bit too similar to Windows XP, it's just puke green instead of blue!

Quote from: MrX
win2000
talk about slow, and stupid, and insecure. a fresh  install, and wait a day and you will get about 10 virus' . windows 98 is more secure than this.
the only thing good, is that the person on the computer, its hard for them to do really anything bad with deepfreeze on it if you are restricted account:
and if you arent on the computer (like remotely hacking it) its as easy as stealing candy from a baby.

Windows isn't Linux and I suppose this could have been true for you but I found Win98 far worse than Win2k. Win98 blue screened everyday and Win2k blue sreens about once a month. Win2k is techinically better than Win98 too as Win2K is NT based & Win98 is based on ye old 80s OS known as MS-DOS.

Quote from: Calum
i heard a lot of crap about lindows' shoddy distro, and how the licencing was really prohibitive and the installation and updating were shabby etc, so maybe that one (though i was put off from ever trying it)

I've been put off trying Linspire too, has anyone here actually tried it?

Does it really suck as much shit as people say it does?
« Last Edit: 13 February 2005, 13:33 by Aloone_Jonez »
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2005, 14:41 »
I dislike Vector Linux, Fedora and Linspire.

If a program "maybe" starts up in a minimum of 10 seconds, forget it.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 13 February 2005, 15:15 »
Quote from: Refalm
I dislike Vector Linux, Fedora and Linspire.

Oh I use Vector Linux when I'm not using Windows and there are things I both like and dislike about it.

I like the way it's easy to both use and install and it's light a weight and bloat free modern distro. But I've found it harder to customise than other distros and it seems a bit cobbled together.

I quite like Vector Linux on the whole, what do you dislike about it?

Quote from: Refalm
If a program "maybe" starts up in a minimum of 10 seconds, forget it.

What do you mean?

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #9 on: 13 February 2005, 15:23 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Oh I use Vector Linux when I'm not using Windows and there are things I both like and dislike about it.

I like the way it's easy to both use and install and it's light a weight and bloat free modern distro. But I've found it harder to customise than other distros and it seems a bit cobbled together.

I quite like Vector Linux on the whole, what do you dislike about it?

What do you mean?

I dislike the lack of customisation in Vector Linux and that Fedora and Linspire are awfully slow.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 13 February 2005, 19:04 »
Being a Windows user I'm not too bothered about customising things but I deem Windows more customisable than Vector Linux, and Redhat is slower than XP. Vector Linux is improving though with respect to becoming more streamlined and hopefully it will become more customisable too.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #11 on: 13 February 2005, 20:51 »
Quote from: mobrien_12
Was SCO Linux actully that bad?  I used Caldera Linux for years, and was more or less satisfied.

I never tried SCO Linux because I didn't feel the need to update when Caldera changed their name to SCO and released a new version, and then Darl turned them into scum.

"SCO" didn't care about Linux like "Caldera" did.  I think they even rebuilt a lot of it for the name change.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #12 on: 13 February 2005, 21:37 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
I'm using NT 5.1 and it doesn't suck half as much as Redhat!

Funny website though :D It's a pitty it hasn't been updated since 2000 :(

one thing i think windows really sucks ass at is that it comes with very little usable applications software. most (all popular) *ix distros come with a huge selection of ready-configured apps, the likes of which you'd pay hundreds for and spend days installing under windows. i mean just check out your post above, clearly windows  doesn't even come with a spellchecker! :-D ;-)
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 14 February 2005, 10:23 »
one thing i think windows really sucks ass at is that it comes with very little usable applications software. most (all popular) *ix distros come with a huge selection of ready-configured apps, the likes of which you'd pay hundreds for and spend days installing under windows.

That's one of the things greats about Linux.

i mean just check out your post above, clearly windows  doesn't even come with a spellchecker! :-D ;-)

LOL true!

I normally type all my posts into OpenOffice Writer and spell check them before hand but I obviously didn't bother on that occasion. Anyway Calum the spellchecker you use can

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 15 February 2005, 00:30 »
Knoppix can run KDE on 88MB of RAM without a swap file and Fedora/Mandrake/Linspire all need at least 256MB with a 512MB swap file and even then the performance is questionable. I just don't get it Knoppix detects all of my devices ok (except for my winmodem) and it auto mounts CDs and my digital camera and does all the stuff all the bloatware distros do yet requiring a fraction of the resources.