Author Topic: Ubuntu<----Anyone ever use it before?  (Read 1530 times)

1mck

• Kudos: 0
Ubuntu<----Anyone ever use it before?
« on: 15 May 2005, 10:39 »
Hello Linux Gods!;-)

I have installed Xandros, and I hired a friend of mine to do some configurations, and I also made sure that he read the fix for my sound card that toadlife had posted for me, and everything worked great....well, sort of.

I blinked, and he had installed the new version of Firefox on my computer, and now when I try to update, and install new software using "Xandros Networks," it comes up with a whole whack of errors about Firefox not being installed correctly, or not all the way, or uninstalled properly. I tried to uninstall it, by using the Xandros Network thingy there, and it won't let me because of the same errors. I haven't gone onto the Xandros Forums yet to get a fix, and to be quite honest I really can't figure out the file structure, or where everything is installed other than the icons in the "Start Menu." I also like to donate my processor time for "Grid Computing," for cancer research...the Folding@home project, or whatever, and I went to find something like that for Linux, and the only thing I could find was for weather predictions...which is great with me because I did study meteorology at one time, but I couldn't figure out how to install that. Yeah, as you can tell I'm a Newbie, but I am determined to learn this, and I did manage to fix one issue when I farted around with the behavior of the windows, and that was when the icons for Firefox went to the generic gear thing, and I couldn't figure out how to change it back, and just by accident I double clicked on a panel in properties, and low, and behold I was able to choose the icons that I wanted!lol You may feel that this is an insignificant thing, but for someone who doesn't really know what the hell they are doing...it is a major achievement!lol I feel like the customer's that call into the isp that I work for...totally lost!lol

Soooooooo, should I just junk it, and try this new Ubuntu that I just heard about, and will I have any problems installing it specifically with it taking over the dual boot with Win XP? Will there be a conflict between taking over the entire drive of Xandros? I should point out that I'm really kind of limited on burning CD's with Xandros, and what I've read about Ubuntu is that they want everyone to have this distro on their computer, and that all the software should be free...blah, blah, blah...happy shiny world, and that for a limited time they will actually send you out the disk for free if you don't want to download it!

Anyway, I hope for some insight on how to proceed from here.

Thanks,
1mck

udaki

Re: Ubuntu<----Anyone ever use it before?
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2005, 23:05 »
switching distro might not solve your problems.Why don't you try fixing the problems....and ubuntu isn't quite what it lives up to the hype. I had major problems with it,unlike slackware.

1mck

« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2005, 23:27 »
Okay, that sounds like good advise. The only thing that I can think of to solve the issue is do a re-install of the OS, or is that too drastic? I haven't really done anything in it other than to set up my e-mail, so I doesn't really matter to me.

If I upgrade to the deluxe version, do you think I may have to re-install the entire OS, or will it be just an upgrade?

Thanks again for the help, and info.

1mck

Lord C

• Kudos: 15
    • http://www.lordcalvin.co.uk/
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2005, 00:39 »
Quote from: udaki
switching distro might not solve your problems.

Except when you're switching to Ubuntu ;)

The best distro everrrrr :P
Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Linux user #348855

1mck

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2005, 08:02 »
Hey Lord C,

Are you recommending Ubuntu over Xandros?

1mck

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2005, 08:52 »
Quote from: Lord C
Except when you're switching to Ubuntu ;)

The best distro everrrrr :P

WRONG!!!!!

DEBIAN AND FEDORA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

BobTheHob

• Kudos: 49
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2005, 09:40 »
Quote from: 1mck
Hey Lord C,

Are you recommending Ubuntu over Xandros?

1mck
(in continuing the battle of recommendations)no, get FreeBSD :)
Seriously though, Ubuntu is a great distro for learning to use Linux. Its very easy to use. It has been known to work great "out-the-box" so to speak, almost 100% of the time. Synaptics is the package manager (software installer) for Ubuntu, Its very easy to use. It has most all the software you would need, all you do is check the boxes next to all the software you want to "Mark for installation" and click the install button. It installs from binarys so its nice and fast. it gets dependancies automatically. It installs easily and its great all around. The only reason I use FreeBSD is that I like to sacrifice ease-of-use for better functionality. If your looking to start out in the *nix world Ubuntu is a great choice. Some of our seasoned Linux veterans prefer Ubuntu, just a matter of taste at that point really i guess.
The meaning of my username "BobTheHob":
It is well known that "Bob" is a nickname for robert in modern times, a lesser known nickname for robert is that of "Hob". Hob is a nickname for robert from the "Middle English" dialect. This is the version of english spoken and written around the late middle ages. Thus my username can be percieved like "RobertTheRobert" which is redundant. As I always like to say "Simplicity in redundancy, and elegance in simplicity".

1mck

« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2005, 09:47 »
BobTheHob,

Thank you so much for your information, and opinion on Ubuntu! I think I'll install it instead of Xandros, and sort of wet my feet first, and then work my way up to a distro that is on par to what you guys are using.

As always, I thank you all for help, and advice on linux.

1mck

BobTheHob

• Kudos: 49
« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2005, 10:23 »
Quote from: 1mck
BobTheHob,

Thank you so much for your information, and opinion on Ubuntu! I think I'll install it instead of Xandros, and sort of wet my feet first, and then work my way up to a distro that is on par to what you guys are using.

As always, I thank you all for help, and advice on linux.

1mck
Your welcome, but it should be noted that Ubuntu is great for seasoned users as well. Thats whats so great about it, newcomers and experts can both use the same distro and be happy.
The meaning of my username "BobTheHob":
It is well known that "Bob" is a nickname for robert in modern times, a lesser known nickname for robert is that of "Hob". Hob is a nickname for robert from the "Middle English" dialect. This is the version of english spoken and written around the late middle ages. Thus my username can be percieved like "RobertTheRobert" which is redundant. As I always like to say "Simplicity in redundancy, and elegance in simplicity".

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2005, 21:50 »
Quote from: solemnwarning
WRONG!!!!!

DEBIAN AND FEDORA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

isn't Ubuntu based off Debian?

anyway, I ordered an Ubuntu CD few weeks back. Hope I get it. They sent it free and payed shipping.

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/shipit/link_view
order free CD here....:thumbup:

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
« Reply #10 on: 16 May 2005, 22:25 »
Yup, me ordered them too. It is based on Debian.

I looove Ubuntu, although i can't really use it yet... 40 days till I leave this stupid place... no Linux, no nothing... just XP... at least I use Jabber, Firefox, Thunderbird and OO.org to free myself a bit.