Author Topic: Will you ever go back to M$ OS?  (Read 7050 times)

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
Re: Will you ever go back to M$ OS?
« Reply #15 on: 22 July 2005, 02:00 »
Haha, you're almost funny.

Kino and Cinelerra are great if your cutting together your kids birthday, but they are NOT, in fact, AVID Media Composer.  Ergo, they are useless.
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #16 on: 22 July 2005, 02:54 »
Quote from: skyman8081
Haha, you're almost funny.

Kino and Cinelerra are great if your cutting together your kids birthday, but they are NOT, in fact, AVID Media Composer. Ergo, they are useless.
Erm. Cinelerra (I dunno about Kino) is very very very powerful. The only thing going against it from what I can see, is that it's not quite so user friendly, hence you need a bit of "skillz" to grok it.

AVID Media Composer may or may not be more powerful, I know little about it, but to say "Kino and Cinelerra are great if your cutting together your kids birthday" is one heck of an under-statement.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

skyman8081

• VIP
« Reply #17 on: 22 July 2005, 02:58 »
All NLE's are hard to use.  The only reason that I tolerate AVID's learning cliff, is because the industry uses it.

Cinelerra may be powerful, but because very few people use it, knowing it is not likely to come in handy any time soon.

Linux and GNU isn't for everybody.  Get over it.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #18 on: 22 July 2005, 03:06 »
Linux and GNU isn't for everybody.
Did I say that it is? No, I'm saying that video editing on GNU/Linux isn't all that impossible, and is in some situations (read: whenever whoever is doing the video editing has total freedom to decide what program he/she will use rather than just use the same as everyone else. (Heck. No wonder you use Windows.)) better than video editing in Windows/Mac OS X (and vica versa).

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Siplus

• Kudos: 43
    • http://www.siplus.org
« Reply #19 on: 22 July 2005, 03:09 »
except windows is better positioned to be an OS to play around with while linux/mac are better OS's to get work done.

stuff gets done in unix. windows propagates problems

http://www.siplus.org

"Your computer is already fucked up by having Windows
on it, you can only unfuck it up by installing Linux."
-- void main (old school MES member)

Desktop: Athlon 2600/ 768mb DDR266
--Running: Ubuntu 5.10, FC4, Win2k
 (Also, Unbuntu 6-06:5, 5.04; Fedora Core 5, WinXP, but none of these are used much)
12" Powerbook: 1.5 Ghz G4 PowerPC / 1.25 GB DDR333
--Running: Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger

skyman8081

• VIP
« Reply #20 on: 22 July 2005, 04:29 »
Why do I even bother.  "mad skillz" learned on one edit system don't tend to transfer over to another.  If you want to make a carrer out of editing.  You are going to get laughed out of many a gig because of your training with Cinelerra and Kino.

As good as they are, they are going to have a hell of a hard time getting mainstream acceptance in the film business, simply because they are NOT AVID, or Final Cut Pro.

toadlife

• Kudos: 376
    • http://toadlife.net
« Reply #21 on: 22 July 2005, 04:35 »
Piratepenguin after hearing your (silly/shortsighted) arguments about why skyman should use linux for his work related need I must ask....how old are you?
:)

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #22 on: 22 July 2005, 05:15 »
i might go back to windows completely if they come out with a resonably stable OS, right now i dual boot.
sig.

skyman8081

• VIP
« Reply #23 on: 22 July 2005, 05:24 »
Quote from: toadlife
Piratepenguin after hearing your (silly/shortsighted) arguments about why skyman should use linux for his work related need I must ask....how old are you?

His profile betrays him, his birthday is June 14, 1990.  He is only 15 years of age.

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
« Reply #24 on: 22 July 2005, 05:55 »
I
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

toadlife

• Kudos: 376
    • http://toadlife.net
« Reply #25 on: 22 July 2005, 12:43 »
His profile betrays him, his birthday is June 14, 1990.  He is only 15 years of age.

It's easy to make these kind of philosopical arguments, when you don't have to pay the bills.
:)

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #26 on: 22 July 2005, 15:35 »
Quote from: skyman
Why do I even bother. "mad skillz" learned on one edit system don't tend to transfer over to another. If you want to make a carrer out of editing. You are going to get laughed out of many a gig because of your training with Cinelerra and Kino.

As good as they are, they are going to have a hell of a hard time getting mainstream acceptance in the film business, simply because they are NOT AVID, or Final Cut Pro.
You told me that you're using Windows because you do video editing, and that GNU/Linux doesn't have the applications. I'm telling you that GNU/Linux DOES have the applications, and then you corrected yourself by saying that the REAL reason you use Windows is because all the mainstream/industry accepted video editing applications weren't built for GNU/Linux.
If you want to make a carrer out of editing.
I don't, and I didn't know that you did. I know a few people who do video editing. None of them are looking to make a career out of it. How was I to know, whenever you said that you do video editing, that you wanted to make a career out of it? As far as I was concerned, you do video editing, and because of that, you ruled out GNU/Linux.

Whenever I brought up Kino and Cinelerra, you said "Kino and Cinelerra are great if your cutting together your kids birthday" ... "they are useless", which I saw as an understatement, and mentioned it earlier.

It's in my profile, under "Age". 15.
I never once said that Skyman "should use linux for his work related need" (looking at his profile, he's 17. I wouldn't think he has quite made it yet). He said that GNU/Linux doesn't have the applications, and I corrected him. Etc. Read the fucking thread.
It's easy to make these kind of philosopical arguments, when you don't have to pay the bills.
Erm. None of this is philosophical. He said GNU/Linux doesn't have the applications. And that's what this is all about. Because infact, GNU/Linux DOES have the applications, what it doesn't have is industry acceptance. Maybe a few users in the film industry is just what it needs?

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #27 on: 22 July 2005, 16:08 »
I do, in fact, use Windows. I edit video, and until I get a Mac, I use windows because I need to have the Apps I need to get work done, and I need them to work when I need them to, and I need it yesterday. Linuix can't do that for me, and the people make a metric fuckton of excuses when they come up short.
He makes it seem as though video editing on GNU/Linux is just no fucking good.
Later, he changes his argument to the fact that video editing on GNU/Linux just isn't industry accepted, not that it's no fucking good.
silly/shortsighted
:fu:

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #28 on: 22 July 2005, 18:45 »
One of the admins at artforms has successfully created a dvd using nothing but Linux applications. Edited the video, created the menus, created the dvd, and everything is working well.

I could have done the same in half the time and half the software on windows or osx. Why would I increase my production time simply because "lol window$ sucks"? I don't know a single one of my clients who would think that it's cool that I can do their project in twice the time because Linux is better. They don't care, and neither do I. The only reason I would use Linux is for Apache and PHP. But my mac handles that just fine.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #29 on: 22 July 2005, 18:49 »
Quote from: xyle_one
One of the admins at artforms has successfully created a dvd using nothing but Linux applications. Edited the video, created the menus, created the dvd, and everything is working well.

I could have done the same in half the time and half the software on windows or osx. Why would I increase my production time simply because "lol window$ sucks"? I don't know a single one of my clients who would think that it's cool that I can do their project in twice the time because Linux is better. They don't care, and neither do I. The only reason I would use Linux is for Apache and PHP. But my mac handles that just fine.
Why the assumption that doing video editing in GNU/Linux always takes twice as long eh?