Author Topic: Will you ever go back to M$ OS?  (Read 7049 times)

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
Re: Will you ever go back to M$ OS?
« Reply #30 on: 22 July 2005, 19:06 »
For this particular project, it did.

Besides, Linux is a bitch to get working. Still, to this day, it requires far too much tweaking and fiddling, and dealing with terribly written software with horrible user interfaces that defy all logic.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #31 on: 22 July 2005, 19:07 »
Quote from: xyle_one
For this particular project, it did.
Lemme guess. This fella was all trained up in Windows video editing applications and had to figure out the GNU/Linux ones.

Sounds alot like Microsofts "Get the facts" bullshite to me.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

xyle_one

• VIP
« Reply #32 on: 22 July 2005, 19:10 »
Haha. No, in fact, he is quite the Linux guru. Stop making assumptions :)

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #33 on: 22 July 2005, 19:11 »
Besides, Linux is a bitch to get working. Still, to this day, it requires far too much tweaking and fiddling, and dealing with terribly written software with horrible user interfaces that defy all logic.
What tweaking and fiddling are you talking about? What terribly written software? What horrible user interfaces (I'm guessing you'll say Cinellera. But the Cinelerra interface is a masterpiece once you get into it)?

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #34 on: 22 July 2005, 19:12 »
Haha. No, in fact, he is quite the Linux guru. Stop making assumptions :)
OK so he hadn't learned the GNU/Linux video editing tools beforehand or something.
If he was to make another video, would it still take twice as long as with the Windows/Mac applications, I wonder.

xyle_one

• VIP
« Reply #35 on: 22 July 2005, 19:20 »
I would imagine it would still take longer. I will find out soon enough.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #36 on: 22 July 2005, 23:02 »
Fucking christ, thanks for dragging me into this.

I don't know how long it takes to produce a dvd from avi rips in Windows or OSX.  And I really don't fucking care, because I wanted to learn how to do this in Linux.  I like the concept of Linux, mostly for political (anti-technocratic) reasons, and I spend a lot of time messing with it.  And, perhaps perversely, I enjoy futzing around with flags and settings.  Additionally, I think (although I cannot prove) that CLI programs like transcode, mencoder, and dvdauthor do the job Right.  That's right with a capital R there, kids.  As in "the most correct way possible, cutting no digital corners".

All things considered, I have learned more about video technology doing this than I ever would have using iMovie or MyDVD or something like that.  Every disc I make gets better and better, slicker and slicker.

For the overall discussion, I have to say that as a cartographer, I use Linux everyday, and wouldn't trade it for the world.  I do have to use Windows though, for Illustrator.  That's because there aren't any top-shelf vector programs for Linux yet.  But I cringe at the interface - there's just something I can't stand about the way Windows looks and acts.

Yes, I am anti-Windows.  But I am also pro-choice, assuming that information is equal.  Skyman claims to have used Cinelerra, and found it somewhat inferior to Avid.  Fine.  When someone makes a choice using all the information that is available to them, then that choice is valid.  It's unfortunate that Avid hasn't embraced other platforms and that the industry doesn't embrace other software, but that's another story altogether.

I'm done.

xyle_one

• VIP
« Reply #37 on: 22 July 2005, 23:05 »
Well... I didn't try to drag you into this, I just used your project as an example. Constant linux cock sucking annoys me.

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: 22 July 2005, 23:11 »
Actually, I thought it was just piratePenguin that annoyed you :P

xyle_one

• VIP
« Reply #39 on: 22 July 2005, 23:15 »
That too. He is a terrible poster. You hear that piratePenguin, you are a terrible poster!

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #40 on: 22 July 2005, 23:40 »
Constant linux cock sucking annoys me.
The reason I really got into this thread is because Skyman made a false claim that GNU/Linux video editing programs just aren't up to scratch.
It's like. What if I said that Mac OS X is absolutely shit for multimedia? Wouldn't you reply and correct me?
Quote from: worker
Skyman claims to have used Cinelerra, and found it somewhat inferior to Avid
Where did you get that from? From what I've read, Skyman hasn't tried Cinelerra, because it just isn't industry accepted. He's using Avid because that's what the film industry uses.

xyle_one

• VIP
« Reply #41 on: 22 July 2005, 23:50 »
The reason I really got into this thread is because Skyman made a false claim that GNU/Linux video editing programs just aren't up to scratch.

Prove that they are, show me case studies where studios have successfully completed projects to client specifications using Linux & open source applications. Show me that they also decided to use free open source software because it offered functionality and tools superior to "industry standard" and well suported applications most studios use today. There is no incentive to switch if all it can do is match existing software, and lacks the same level of support. "Free" software just isn't enough. It needs to be supported. I should be able to hire people who know how to use it. It should be an improvement over the current system, and still remain cost effective. I'd rather pay $3000 up front for software that I know my team can use, because the time saved on the project means a higher profit for me in the long run; we can get more work out the door in less time.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #42 on: 23 July 2005, 00:19 »
Prove that they are, show me case studies where studios have successfully completed projects to client specifications using Linux & open source applications. Show me that they also decided to use free open source software because it offered functionality and tools superior to "industry standard" and well suported applications most studios use today. There is no incentive to switch if all it can do is match existing software, and lacks the same level of support. "Free" software just isn't enough. It needs to be supported. I should be able to hire people who know how to use it. It should be an improvement over the current system, and still remain cost effective. I'd rather pay $3000 up front for software that I know my team can use, because the time saved on the project means a higher profit for me in the long run; we can get more work out the door in less time.
http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/07/08/140221&from=rss
[size=-1]Cinelerra provides industrial strength capabilities and doesn't really spend a lot of time hand-holding beginners
http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2003/12/30/cinelerra.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinelerra

No case studies, that's the results of a very quick google search. Just so you get an idea of the raw power of this application. Not to be shunned.
[/size]

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: 23 July 2005, 00:42 »
The whole industry standard thing is a bad scene.  5 years ago, there weren't really any professional non-linear editors for the personal computer (Premiere wasnt pro-quality at that time).  Most NLE was done on an AVID system.  But somebody had the idea that doing it on another platform might be more efficient and more productive.  At first, it wasn't, that's the way it goes with technology.  Eventually, though, the tech was good enough and the people were trained enough that it became smart to throw AVID software on your PC.

Features and power and stability and cost and more all combine to make the package.  Whichever package has the most is the winner.  In the case of cinelerra, price and Linux' memory management are the things they have going for them.  Use-curve and platform-trust are AVID's big pros.  And as cinelerra gets better (probably by the week, knowing Linux developers), the balance may shift.

I've never edited video or film, but I'm not talking out of my ass either.  

Linux - when you're ready to come in, we'll be here for you

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #44 on: 23 July 2005, 01:26 »
Adobe CS runs under Crossover Office.

I can get plenty of work done under Linux.