Author Topic: Windows Vista - 7 different versions  (Read 5117 times)

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
Re: Windows Vista - 7 different versions
« Reply #15 on: 12 September 2005, 21:58 »
More Choice!

Not for us it ain't.
The more versions there are, the less likely you will be able to find one that suits all of your needs.

Yup. It's like looking for a needle in a haystack. A haystack that doesn't contain a needle...

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #16 on: 12 September 2005, 22:50 »
Disgusting. It really is. If I go to purchase a SuSE distro, the personal edition, and wanted to upgrade to the professional edition, it would be a simple matter of running some software updates, maybe even paying a fee. With this rainbow of Windows to choose from, you can't just upgrade to the next level. You have to actually purchase it, then wipe your install, and install fresh. I doubt there will be an "upgrade" otpion. What kind of shit is that? The professional edition doesn't even include the media tools from a "lesser" level. I hope this blows up in their face.

Jack2000

« Reply #17 on: 12 September 2005, 23:27 »
you see people this is exactly why I hate M$ they could have just pack up every thing in one/two dvds and when you install the os
it would ask you if you want this or that version .
... but nooooooooooooo
they have just desided to make 7 !
just for the heck of it !

man these people are just walking on my nerves
a human/game zone operator can take so much untill he freaks out and kill some one

ps: here we have "places" that are intitled Game zone
where you go pay up and use a computer for an amount of given time :) i dunno if you have that
type of places over there
if you do plese tell me how you call them couse i think of upgradeing after the M$ tidal wave hit bulgaria and
i am going to rename it

pss:yes i am 15 actually it is my brother's  but i do all the computer work ;)

so i wonder wich version should they make me use .
maby a an 8-th version  "ENTERPRISE" edition:D

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #18 on: 13 September 2005, 00:33 »
Quote from: Jenda
Not for us it ain't.

I think he was joking.

Quote from: Worker201
The more versions there are, the less likely you will be able to find one that suits all of your needs.

Yes that's Linux for you. :D
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #19 on: 13 September 2005, 01:05 »
What will stop people from installing software from the Ultimate Edition into the Starter Edition, possibly cracked?

Also, most home users pirate Windows, so expect no to very little Starter Edition users.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #20 on: 13 September 2005, 01:08 »
how is limiting it to 3 windows or programs or whatever gonna help users ? So what when they learned enough and want to upgade they have to pay more!!?
sig.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #21 on: 13 September 2005, 03:19 »
Quote from: worker
Ultimate edition will suit everybodies needs, but it will probably cost a bomb.
Hopefully then, more people will pirate it, if the other, cheaper and crippled versions don't have what they need (but I think home or at least home premium edition probably would).
Quote from: lead_head
how is limiting it to 3 windows or programs or whatever gonna help users ? So what when they learned enough and want to upgade they have to pay more!!?
Quite correct. And the people that will be using this version will be the less better off people/countries, who really, really would be better off with GNU/Linux from what I can tell.

Microsoft don't give two fucks about their users - they just want to take as much money off them as possible.

"But hey! That's businness! Who gives a crap? Let's just keep giving them what they want and keep our mouths shut - so long they get me a operating system, because that's all that's important." -Joe Stupid
« Last Edit: 13 September 2005, 03:32 by piratePenguin »
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Jack2000

« Reply #22 on: 13 September 2005, 03:31 »
I know what they'll hear soon if they do not stop and listen to us[/you/every one]

Send not to ask for whom the bell tolls: it tolls for thee

*smirk* ;) ;-)
\/^^^^\/
/\ HAHA /\

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #23 on: 13 September 2005, 03:40 »
Quote from: Jack2000
I know what they'll hear soon if they do not stop and listen to us[/you/every one]
"Us"? You mean the ten or so (if even) people here that give a crap? Maybe ~0.01% or so other Windows users too?

Joe Stupid is a typical Windows user - he doesn't give a crap and neither does half a billion or so other Windows users.

Microsoft know that they can get away with this - otherwise they wouldn't be doing it, it wouldn't be worth the risk (I could be wrong here.).

Maybe I spoke too soon - I certainly hope I did, and that the Windows users rebel.
That'd be fun :).

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #24 on: 13 September 2005, 03:50 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Yes that's Linux for you. :D
I like the fact that there are whatever amount of thousand GNU/Linux distributions out there. Even still, it's tough enough to find one that works exactly the way you want it to work (but since when could you do that with Windows, have it work just the way you want it to work?), and if you don't, then, just make your own distribution or compile your own system, or don't.

It isn't easy for new users to understand - but it's a small price to pay, IMO, for the increadible power this fact ("that there are whatever amount of thousand GNU/Linux distributions out there.") offers.

Like - imagine if there was only one GNU/Linux distribution :scared:.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: 13 September 2005, 19:14 »
piratePenguin,
You've made a perfectly valid point but I was joking (hence the  :D smiley) as well as proving worker201's argument being nonsense.

Seriously though I don't know why there needs to be seven versions of Windows, I know they're trying to reach as many people as possible but it's going to make things like technical support even more of a joke than it curently is. Maybe this will be the end for Microsoft, Windows 2000 was good (as far as Windows goes), we still use it at work and college many people haven't even bothered with XP (which was only a minor upgrade) so why should we pay for yet another minor upgrade?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #26 on: 13 September 2005, 19:49 »
piratePenguin,
You've made a perfectly valid point but I was joking (hence the smiley) as well as proving worker201's argument being nonsense.
There will be seven versions of Windows Vista, and there are, say, X-hundred versions of GNU/Linux. It's mostly a good thing for GNU/Linux, because each distribution concentrates on different things, and generally any user can find one that suits their needs almost perfectly. I said "mostly", because it's not all good - it introduces confusion for the new user. But IMO, it's not a bad tradeoff.

Now Windows Vista - seven versions. Only a few - the most expensive ones - haven't been intentionally crippled by their creators without their users in mind. Microsoft aren't releasing seven versions of Windows Vista so more of their users can have an operating system that fits all their needs!

Windows users will be confused about these seven versions of Windows Vista - some will find it harder to find one that fits their needs better than the rest and some, when they do find which one fits their needs most might not be able to afford it. Which should be interesting (will they settle for the crippled editions? Will they pirate it? Will they ditch Microsoft altogether and switch to the alternatives?).

What I don't like about this the most is that Microsoft are working hard to handicap the cheaper versions of their operating system just so more people "upgrade" to the more expensive versions, and worse than that, it's not likely that most Windows users will give a crap. They'll just keep gobbling up whatever shit Microsoft throws at them, and they'll continue to give Microsoft what they want no matter.

Of course, this is all IMO.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: 13 September 2005, 20:48 »
Thanks piratepenguin,I understand what he probably meant now.

At the moment Windows isn't suitable for complete newbs, I wonder if Vista will be any more newb friendly.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #28 on: 13 September 2005, 20:54 »
I understand what he probably meant now.
Well - that's a bonus.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #29 on: 13 September 2005, 23:10 »
Kinda off-topic, but one of the coolest things about Linux is that if the distro isn't working for you, you can fix it.  There are tools out there to turn .deb packages into .rpm, and you can, if you know what you're doing***, turn Slackware into Ubuntu.  Not that you would want to do that, but it's nice to know that you could if you really wanted to.

*** - meaning, you are a gnu guru, in Linus' echelon of excellence