Author Topic: Windows Vista - 7 different versions  (Read 5119 times)

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
Re: Windows Vista - 7 different versions
« Reply #30 on: 14 September 2005, 00:07 »
All good things are three, that
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #31 on: 14 September 2005, 01:15 »
Quote from: worker201
Kinda off-topic, but one of the coolest things about Linux is that if the distro isn't working for you, you can fix it.  There are tools out there to turn .deb packages into .rpm, and you can, if you know what you're doing***, turn Slackware into Ubuntu.  Not that you would want to do that, but it's nice to know that you could if you really wanted to.

*** - meaning, you are a gnu guru, in Linus' echelon of excellence

I'd like to se you try that with Linspire. :D
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Jack2000

« Reply #32 on: 14 September 2005, 02:30 »
Dunno people if they could only make it open source .........

......or someone make a compatible Win<->Unix  system that would work with both ..........

...aaah dreams...

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #33 on: 14 September 2005, 11:34 »
Quote from: Jack2000
Dunno people if they could only make it open source .........

......or someone make a compatible Win<->Unix  system that would work with both ..........

...aaah dreams...

Stop dreaming, try JAVA, ColdFusion, etc. :)

Anyway, the only reason for Microsoft to be doing this is money. There are enough suckers out there who will pay $ 50 more for Windows Media Player deluxe or something. Look at the number of people buying Microsoft Plus!

All an operating system needs to be parted in is Home/Office, Server and Clusters.

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
« Reply #34 on: 16 September 2005, 02:02 »
It might - my Mac can't format NTFS though!

In all seriousness, I keep my usbstick and iPod in HFS+ format.  Now there's no practical reason why Windows should have a problem providing at least a little support for this format.  Linux - no problem - actually, with the 2.6.15 kernel customized for such a purpose, I can read and write just as well as I could on the Mac.  Stick the usbstick in Windows, and it says it isn't formatted.

i use ext2 for my usb sticks :) also

kernel 2.6.15?!?! kernel 2.6.13.1 is current cer, what are you smoking?  :p
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #35 on: 16 September 2005, 03:22 »
Quote from: solemnwarning
kernel 2.6.15?!?! kernel 2.6.13.1 is current cer, what are you smoking?  :p

Whoops, make that 2.6.12.5.

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
« Reply #36 on: 16 September 2005, 03:40 »
Whoops, make that 2.6.12.5.

lol, most of my boxes run custom builds of 2.6.13.1 :)
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #37 on: 16 September 2005, 03:41 »
lol...I don't even know what kernel I use, as long as it works.

Having 7 versions of windows in my mind is similar to the many distributions of linux. If you're too dumb to work out which one is right for you...tough. I don't really care as I'm not buying it.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #38 on: 16 September 2005, 18:38 »
Quote from: Pathos
Having 7 versions of windows in my mind is similar to the many distributions of linux.
Err, I disagree.
I can only see the disadvantages (for the user) on the Windows end of things (just read my previous posts in this thread)..

I consider all the different GNU/Linux distributions a good thing because each is targeted at a different type of user, and experienced users can have much more control over their computer than new users. I don't think Windows users will ever enjoy the same kind of choice, and the same kind of control over the software their computer runs.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #39 on: 16 September 2005, 20:14 »
I agree with piratePenguin these differant versions of Windows won't be that differant to each other. I would agree if they were a few mainly command line driven versions for server and programmers then others geared more at gamers and desktop applications but this won't be the case ven if MS want to imply it is.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
« Reply #40 on: 16 September 2005, 22:40 »
A serious and informed individual cannot buy this sorta crap, IMO. I hope it'll cause many migrations to alternative OSes.

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #41 on: 16 September 2005, 23:35 »
Quote from: Jenda
OSes.

Operating Systemes  :rolleyes:
Contains scenes of mild peril.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #42 on: 17 September 2005, 00:18 »
Quote from: KernelPanic
m4 rules!

Beats common sense, any day.

:rolleyes:
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #43 on: 17 September 2005, 04:44 »
Quote from: KernelPanic

heh :D
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

noob

• Kudos: 74
« Reply #44 on: 23 September 2005, 20:28 »
i bet its like xp home and pro. theres a file in xp that says what windows adons cant be installed. all you did was open it and add an entry saying that XXX package could be installed and then install it. it bet it will be the same. get the home basic, edit this file and just run the updates from the enterprose edition and bingo, the basic version, working as well as the nterprise.
Windows XP Service Pack 2. Because we couldn't be arsed the first time.

Windows 98 Second Edition. Look, now you don't need that bloody CD to install new hardware.

Windows Vista. Even your computer knows you have a small penis.

Windows Blackcomb. We are planning the OS after Vista, which is allready a year late.

Windows ME, the Marmite Operating System.

XP Mobile. Take your errors with you.