Author Topic: Distro help. Please?  (Read 4585 times)

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
Re: Distro help. Please?
« Reply #60 on: 30 October 2005, 16:49 »
QtParted (which I think is what Aloone_Jonez was referring to) uses libparted, which is provided by GNU parted (a command-line tool for partitioning).
GParted also uses libparted, but it's for GTK+.
In order to be able to resize NTFS, you'll need ntfsprogs too.
See here for more.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #61 on: 30 October 2005, 17:13 »
QtParted, that's it!

I didn't need to download ntfsprogs but that's because it was probebly built in to Knoppix which I think is the most newb friendly way of doing this.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Dark_Me

• Kudos: 314
« Reply #62 on: 30 October 2005, 17:15 »
Huston we have Ubuntu! I just got Partition Magic. The rest is history.
I'm knida imbaressed. Turns out I just had 3 partitions on a 80GB hard drive. I just resized the one with the least on it and created a 10GB Ext3 partition. Will that be enough? BTW browsing with linux is wicked fast.
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
If your a selfish, self-centred prick, who is willing to leave half the world in poverty, then yes.
-Kintaro

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #63 on: 30 October 2005, 17:21 »
Quote from: Dark_Me
Will that be enough?
Should be, for a good while anyhow.

Did you make a swap partition?

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: 30 October 2005, 17:27 »
Even though I recommend using a swap, I've used Linux on my 256MB machine with out a swap and never run out of memory, having said that I didn't edit any large images or anything, but I doubt this could be done with Windows.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Dark_Me

« Reply #65 on: 30 October 2005, 17:33 »
Nope no swap partition. I got enough room to make one though. What's it used for anyway?
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
If your a selfish, self-centred prick, who is willing to leave half the world in poverty, then yes.
-Kintaro

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #66 on: 30 October 2005, 17:39 »
Nope no swap partition. I got enough room to make one though. What's it used for anyway?
Whenever you run out of RAM, information gets stored in the swap partition. Windows stores it in a file, called a pagefile. You can use a file for GNU/Linux too, but using a partition is more efficient.

You'd want one of at least 512mb, just to be on the safe side.

Dark_Me

« Reply #67 on: 30 October 2005, 17:44 »
I see. But if I don't have a swap partition then won't my comp/programs just wait till system resources are freed up?
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
-Kintaro

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #68 on: 30 October 2005, 17:45 »
I see. But if I don't have a swap partition then won't my comp/programs just wait till system resources are freed up?
I dunno (always have a huge swap partition), but that's probably alot of waiting ;)

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #69 on: 30 October 2005, 20:07 »
Haha, I tried to use firefox on my laptop with damnsmalllinux and 22mb memory.

It just sat there thrashing for half an hour.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: 30 October 2005, 22:45 »
Although I haven't tried it DeLi Linux sounds good for shitty old hardware.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #71 on: 31 October 2005, 01:07 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Although I haven't tried it DeLi Linux sounds good for shitty old hardware.

That sounds like quite something.  I always used muLinux for that, but it's no longer updated, and uses Netscape 3.0 and kernel 2.0 and stuff like that.  This is more up to date.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez