Author Topic: Linux is Doomed, Thanks to Microsoft  (Read 4756 times)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
Re: Linux is Doomed, Thanks to Microsoft
« Reply #30 on: 30 November 2005, 19:41 »
kintaro you're a moron for triple posting and not being tactful.

dmcfarland,
You shouldn't let kintaro upset you, he's just speaking his mind (yes I know he should've been more tactful but it isn't his style). I agree with him, the notion that Linux is doomed because of MS is retarded.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #31 on: 30 November 2005, 20:19 »
Quote from: Kintaro
Oh god, with people like you supporting it I change my mind.

Linux is doomed.

Hahaha ... good one ! :D

Canadian Lover

• VIP
  • Kudos: 122
« Reply #32 on: 30 November 2005, 20:48 »
I don't accept your apology in advance before recieving it. I don't need an apology, I don't give shit. Your[/i]a moron.

Moron.

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
« Reply #33 on: 30 November 2005, 21:33 »
This thread is really going downhill. If there is any more mindless flaming, I am binning this.

Kintaro, do not use personal attacks against other members. Yes, calling them a moron is a personal attack, just stick with discussing the issue.

dmcfarland

• Kudos: 123
« Reply #34 on: 30 November 2005, 22:56 »
Then ill speak my mind when Kintaro speaks his and let him know what I think of him. Dont accuse of flaming someone the next time he leaves an ahole response.

Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
Hahaha ... good one ! :D
Whip me, Beat me, Humiliate me, Mistreat me, and Windows XP me.:fu:

dmcfarland

« Reply #35 on: 30 November 2005, 22:57 »
Thanks

Just for the record I dont go around flaming people, and I didnt start it.

Quote from: M51DPS
This thread is really going downhill. If there is any more mindless flaming, I am binning this.

Kintaro, do not use personal attacks against other members. Yes, calling them a moron is a personal attack, just stick with discussing the issue.

M51DPS

• VIP
« Reply #36 on: 1 December 2005, 00:54 »
I was speaking to everyone. Do not flame, do not feed trolls... you get the idea. I am not trying to blame people, so let's just move on.

Does this article account for the fact Linux does not necessarily cost anything? Or people who buy machines that come with windows only to be wiped and reinstalled with a free operating system? Unless we have real details, I sense bias.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #37 on: 1 December 2005, 02:42 »
It's kind of obvious that the very fact that most computers (laptops especially) come with Window$ pre-installed, whether you want it or not, is monopolistic in nature. If I don't want Window$ on my laptop, the only thing I can do is buy a mac. I know there are some cheap laptops that come with Linux installed, but I want power, not cheapness, price is not important, especially when considering electronic equipment of any kind, you'll be better off getting the best, but not the cheapest hardware, and not the most expensive either.

Ok, so, my point is you should have a choice as to whether you want an OS pre-installed on a laptop or factory-built PC. Say, is it possible or at least not too difficult to build your own laptop ? I know, the pieces inside are quite small, easy to break, and easy to misplace, but maybe there is a way ?

dmcfarland

« Reply #38 on: 1 December 2005, 03:17 »
Actaully I love Linux, and I hate Windows and other M$ products. I just pasted the article into the post so people wouldnt have to go all over the place to find it.

M$'s is arguing that linux cost nothing to obtain, buts costs an organization in terms of maintenance, repair, and keeping it updated. They are trying to say that linux cost money of terms of man hours and down time.

Theres another post that has an link for the interview with the person that did the study.You can find that interview on http://www.slashdot.org

I dont believe that for a minute, because I worked as a tech in a linux shop. The only downtime we had with our servers was when a motherboard or a power supply went out, or when we had to upgrade stuff like memory. Of course the article is bias, BUT I AM NOT.

I can say from personal expereince that linux is easier to maintain, and its not hard to keep updated if the admins know what they are doing.

I dont appreciate anyone trying to paint me to be some shill for Microsoft, because Im not. I've spent the majority of my time as an IT person fixing and rebooting Windows machines, and know just how f'ed up WIndow$ is.

So thats it. Im not a M$ $hill.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #39 on: 1 December 2005, 03:31 »
Quote from: M51DPS

Problem: There is no issue of any kind. Just a biased article, and morons who actually believe it.

Morons ARE the issue.

dmcfarland

« Reply #40 on: 1 December 2005, 03:39 »
Actually I dont believe the article. I posted for everyone perousal. I know its bullshit

Problem: There is no issue of any kind. Just a biased article, and morons who actually believe it.

Morons ARE the issue.

M51DPS

• VIP
« Reply #41 on: 1 December 2005, 04:32 »

Morons ARE the issue.

Fine. I am glad we got that out of the way, as we know people like that have yet to post in this thread.

There may be some validity of Linux seeming to have a higher TCO if you have to retrain your entire IT staff and rework everything they do in order to switch to Linux, but I would say in the long it works better to not lock yourself into one vender, especially a monopolistic one.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #42 on: 1 December 2005, 05:06 »
Linux has a higher TCO but a lot more reliability as a server. Thats why big companies that can afford it use it. Linux is better, of course its going to cost more.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #43 on: 1 December 2005, 20:13 »
Linux has a higher TCO
How do you know?

Linux is better, of course its going to cost more.
Eh, that makes no sense.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #44 on: 1 December 2005, 21:01 »

How do you know?

There is more demands for Linux admins, and they cost more to hire. On top of this there are more than just Microsoft studies supporting this.

Linux is more complex to operate than Windows. Linux administrators typically need more experience and training to do their job effectively. Also most companies that provide support for their Linux distributions charge more than Microsoft or third party companies that provide the same support for Windows.